You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

Villa were a team in relegation danger, teams like that usually resort to lumping it as much as possible, doesn't define a player because he's the unfortunate recipient of it though.

Plenty of evidence that Benteke is more than capable with the ball at his feet, working the channels and running at players. The fact he can head the ball is a bonus (especially at set pieces) being dressed up as a negative.

Fair enough, there's more to his game than just power, i see your point.

Playing to his strengths means playing a style of football that no successful side plays.  Long punts up to him and constant crossing is low percentage football.

Don't play to his strengths and you wonder why we bought him instead of a proper forward that would suit us.

Yet again, another expensive transfer that any cunt without the red specs on can see is doomed from the get go and completely idiotic.  Thankfully this will be Rodgers last one since he simply cannot survive after fucking up the coming season.

Agreed. A massive gamble. The transfer fee for this limited footballer is outrageous. Clubs put in stupid fees into contracts as release clauses to ward off bids from other clubs. They don't expect clubs to actually pay the full amount as we stupidly are about to do. Villa would probably have accepted around £25M if we negotiated hard enough but no, we go ahead and give them exactly what they want. Again.

Benteke will cost us about the same as Costa and Aguero did. Does anyone expect him to have the same impact?

I'm actually really excited tonight, as I think we've done the right thing here.

Benteke will score 20+ goals this season, and be vital to our set pieces at both ends. He's also going to create a lot of space for our other attacking players. Heck, I even think his inclusion will be enough to get us top 4.

That'll do for me (at least for now)

• Upvote 1

I don't see too much difference in quality between Costa and Benteke.

Aguero is streets ahead of them.

Yes, Aguero is streets ahead of them, but Costa is also streets ahead of Benteke. He can run behind defences, Benteke cannot. Costa's off the ball movement is brilliant. Benteke, on the other hand, hardly ever gets into positions to lash onto through balls.

• Upvote 3

Who's this Jovetic you speak of? Is it the same fella who's been shite for City? You only really watch our League & you come back with Jovetic? Fuck me, I'm glad your not on our scouting team & that's saying something. Are you Ian Ayre?

To answer your questions,

1. I'm referring to Stevan Jovetic, as an intro; he's a Montenegrin professional footballer who plays for Manchester City and the Montenegro national team. His primary position is a second striker, although he can also operate as an attacking midfielder or a winger. Jovetić is known for his dribbling, technical ability, and creativity. - Wikipedia.

2. Yes, he plays for Man City, where he's behind the best striker in the league in the pecking order and has been struggling with fitness. Quite a bit of his appearances have been off the bench or him trying to regain match fitness. He also played for Fiorentina, and was a brilliant player for them, playing just off the striker with license to move into wider areas. His job was more than just score goals, he was also tasked to create space and chances for team mates. Did so quite well, I took quite an interest in him after our match with them a few years back when I had more time to watch ball. Seemed like he was going to be quite a player, but injuries have curtailed that somewhat.

3. Yes I mentioned his name in a list of strikers I believe are a better fit with players we currently have without the caveat of potentially sacrifice anything from their part in terms of playing style and would be available for a far better price than Benteke. I also included Walcott on that list, I also mentioned that both are injury prone, I also mentioned that we have two promising players for that position who could fill in if needed, one of whom I rate, has experience in the league and scored goals for a terrible Burnley side and presses non stop throughout a match. I could have mentioned more, like Sakho, Remy, Dzeko, etc. But didn't as I was a tad busy about to drop a duece, and at such times you sometimes forget every single player you'd think "I wouldn't mind seeing him in a red shirt" (meaning play for us, not him just in a shirt and no bottoms and about to take it off for some homo erotic fantasy).

4. Whilst not a question, I respectfully decline your offer of intercourse, regardless of the occasional homo erotic fantasies that might pop up in my head (occupational hazard as an accountant).

5. No, I'm not.

• Upvote 2

In fairness to him we aren't going to get bullied when he's on the pitch and i'd rank him about the 7th most feared opponent in the league to play against behind Costa, Aguero, Hazard, Rooney, Sanchez and Kane. Section said it best the other day, whats the shit your kecks factor when he gets the ball round our box? and in Benteke's case it's very high.

To be honest i have serious reservations about Rodgers getting the best out of him because he's a quintessential target man, i hope he doesn't try and convert him into a quick 1-2 touch forward making runs off the last man because he'll never be that, he's best as a big fucking battering ram that puts the fear of god into players when he's leaping for a corner. Or when we play a long ball to him he can touch it onto one of our nimble attackers to run into the space. He's the footballing equivalent of a trebuchet, and thats exactly how he should be used.

Fear not. He's been brought in to play CB.

• Upvote 1

Hindsight : such a wonderful thing.

We never fucking learn. Andy Carroll $35 million. Target man failure.

Ballotelli millions. Target man failure.

Apparently this purchase 'signals a change in style'

What utter fucking crap. We did target man last season and we all can see the useless spineless abortion of attacking football that bored the fans into post championship challenging depression.

Hindsight : such a wonderful thing.

We never fucking learn. Andy Carroll $35 million. Target man failure.

Ballotelli millions. Target man failure.

Apparently this purchase 'signals a change in style'

What utter fucking crap. We did target man last season and we all can see the useless spineless abortion of attacking football that bored the fans into post championship challenging depression.

Balotelli isn't a target man.

Yes, Aguero is streets ahead of them, but Costa is also streets ahead of Benteke. He can run behind defences, Benteke cannot. Costa's off the ball movement is brilliant. Benteke, on the other hand, hardly ever gets into positions to lash onto through balls.

I wouldn't expect him to ever get near the level of Aguero but Benteke is a far more accomplished player than Costa was at the same age.

Costa also works his bollocks off in every game. I've seen more than a few matches involving Benteke when he couldn't be arsed. Including the fa cup final in which he was utter crap.

Benteke as good as Costa. Jesus Christ.

There's nothing between Benteke and Lukaku (who Everton grossly over paid for). Those two don't get mentioned in the same breathe as Costa and Aguero.

Almost as bad as the morons who claimed Rodgers was a better manager than Klopp.

• Upvote 5

Good first day test for him and us, up against Shawcross, exactly the kind of battle I expect him to win.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Firmino, Ings and Origi bring to the final third post-Suarez party too.

Absolutely no career sense for Balotelli, Borini or Lambert to stay now. Would be nice to convert them into the shape of a Gary Medel and some left back cover.