You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Labour Leadership Contest

The Next Labour Leader  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to cunt Cameron in the bastard?

• Liz Kendall - she invented mintcake.
    • Andy Burnham - such sadness in those eyes
    • Yvette Cooper - uses her maiden name because she doesn't want to be called "I've ate balls"
    • Jeremy Corbyn - substitute geography teacher

A brief breakdown of Corbyn's beliefs on some of the major issues affecting the country can be seen below. I would imagine many of those beliefs will resonate with huge numbers of the population and will be seen as the social justice policies they are rather than some Stalinist ideologies the right will want to paint them as. The more controversial policies are his views on defence and his Peoples Quantitive Easing for funding new infrastructure, he will have a job selling those as credible to both his party and the electorate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33772024

Could you at least spare a minute or two to reply to my question about what these supposedly far left economic policies of Corbyn's are? No essay needed, a few lines will do.

He going to re nationalise the railways and energy firms the commie bastard. Anyone who's paid a poxy 300 quid to go a few stops on an overcrowded train would know what a disaster this would be for the country. And if a couple of thousand old folks die every year because they are poor and can't afford the heating bills, well there you go, winners and losers in this world, capitalism at its best.

• Upvote 2

This has probably been posted but this meltdown fro Priti Patel is just the reason why people are ready to relate to someone like Corbyn

https://audioboom.com/boos/3566718-tory-minister-priti-patel-gives-a-lesson-on-how-not-to-react-to-a-corbyn-victory?utm_campaign=embed&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Her and Fallon did exactly the same yesterday - just repeating the stock phrase. And it came across as so false. Even the BBC reporter said to Fallon "are you really going to engage in the politics of fear?"

This has probably been posted but this meltdown fro Priti Patel is just the reason why people are ready to relate to someone like Corbyn

https://audioboom.com/boos/3566718-tory-minister-priti-patel-gives-a-lesson-on-how-not-to-react-to-a-corbyn-victory?utm_campaign=embed&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Had to keep checking if my computer was fucking up, sounded like a 20 second clip on loop.

• Upvote 2

He's not nationalising big parts of the economy. He's pledged to nationalise two sectors, rail and energy. Public ownership of the railways is supported by a majority of the electorate, and was the long-standing policy of that bastion of radical leftism Germany until recently, when it was opened up to private competition by pressure from the EU rather than a change in government policy.

Other than renationalising the energy companies, which will probably fall foul of EU competition law anyway and so won't be in the manifesto, what are the other far left economic policies that will be electoral poison?

It's worth bearing in mind that EDF is actually state-owned - it's just that it's owned by the French state.

Labour tweeting asking for people to submit their questions for him to ask cameron at PMQs. Very, very clever.

Corbyn isn't making it about him vs Cameron, he's making it about the public vs the elite on all sides.

Yeah, I got an email with the same request for a question for Cameron.

It doesn't even really matter what anyone's views are on Cuba or Venezuela, or Greece for that matter. They are the examples constantly trotted out by people that insist that Corbyn's campaign has been one of a mad loony leftie, extreme, radical Stalinist nature. The comparisons are made by those fiercely attempting to protect neo liberalism (mainstream media, bankers, most of parliament) or repeated by idiots that can't see why they're saying it. I think what Corbyn should have done more, which is something Sanders has done a lot in America, is point out that actually what he wants for the country is something more like the social democracies we've seen in Scandinavia. Perhaps point out that comparing wealthy Northern European countries is possibly a little more relevant comparing us to Cuba.

He said during the campaign that he'd be considered a moderate in Germany for suggesting a state-run national investment bank, which they've had there since 1948. It's another example though of a key message that he doesn't emphasise enough.

One of the requirements for a political idea to gain wide acceptance is to have a succinct summation of it and repeat it relentlessly over and over, even to the extent of shoehorning it into debates where it's not strictly applicable. The Tories did it to great effect with the 'maxing out the credit card' line. That was deliberately disingenuous, but Corbyn has got plenty of honest examples he can deploy. It's not selling out or dumbing down, it's just smart politics. He needs to get better at it, and fast.

I'm not going to spend my morning replying to slurs or writing political essays for people who believe Cuba is a great country.

Best of luck to you all. Some of you have a rough decade ahead of you.

Really?

Maybe I have missed something here, because all I see are arguments against your arguments.

I voted for Corbyn as I don't think I could continue to bemoan the political status quo with its bland, mono-right wing message while not taking the opportunity to support a genuinely different and principled voice.

However, I remain very sceptical about his chances of success. In fact I fear this has the potential to utterly destroy any credible opposition to Conservatism for the foreseeable future.

For me, the only hope is of a mass re-engagement in the political process from the disenfranchised/apathetic masses. Sadly, I think that's a wildly optimistic hook to hang victory on.

• Upvote 1

He going to re nationalise the railways and energy firms the commie bastard. Anyone who's paid a poxy 300 quid to go a few stops on an overcrowded train would know what a disaster this would be for the country. And if a couple of thousand old folks die every year because they are poor and can't afford the heating bills, well there you go, winners and losers in this world, capitalism at its best.

I don't think that nationalising the energy companies is even necessary or the best way to go, even if it is legal. The alternative I'd favour is to set up a new state-run energy provider to compete in the market on a non-profit basis. Its mandate would be to keep prices as low as possible and to maximise investment in low-carbon energy, energy efficiency and a national infrastructure for electric vehicles. It could be funded in part by the public money which currently subsidises the fossil fuel industry.

I voted for Corbyn as I don't think I could continue to bemoan the political status quo with its bland, mono-right wing message while not taking the opportunity to support a genuinely different and principled voice.

However, I remain very sceptical about his chances of success. In fact I fear this has the potential to utterly destroy any credible opposition to Conservatism for the foreseeable future.

For me, the only hope is of a mass re-engagement in the political process from the disenfranchised/apathetic masses. Sadly, I think that's a wildly optimistic hook to hang victory on.

It does seem unlikely, but if you would have told a Labour MP 4 years ago the Scottish independence referendum would have been even as close as it ended up and that Labour would be completely wiped out up there they would have been rolling on the floor laughing. Obviously Labour don't have the Nationalism draw that attracts some SNP supporters but they need to try and tap into some of what made them successful.

Voting Corbyn wasn't my intention at the start but the two main things that changed my mind were, after listening to the other 3, they didn't seem any more likely to win an election than him and were just trotting out the same old tired shit.

And the fact they didn't vote against the austerity bill. That was a massive misstep for them and I was done listening to them after it. The very, very least I'd expect from any Labour MP would be for them to vote against the Tories on a bill designed to demonise the poor and vulnerable in our society. Shithouses the lot of them.

Main problem Corbyn has now is getting his MP's to vote with him. After defying the whip so many times himself I've a feeling a hell of a lot of them won't feel any obligation to do as he asks.

I like that Tom Watson has said he doesn't agree with Corbyn on Trident and Nato and the party needs that debate. I think it does, Corbyn needs to focus on other battles at the minute. I believe we should have an independent nuclear programme, I long for the day when every country agrees to get rid but until then I'd rather be one of those with the capability than with out. The whole Nato thing can be an argument for when you get power, the focus needs on peoples lives and rights and human decency. Play it smart. Watson as deputy I think is a blinding choice. People on the whole don't want extreme decisions but we do need some brave decisions. The current Corbyn foreign policy and defence talk will weaken his leadership but I'm optimistic that Corbyn has more respect for democracy and taking on board other's views than the usual leader and party whips. I admire his principles but it's give and take sometimes.

I'm starting to wonder if his chances are as small as I and everyone else initially thought. One of the reasons the centre ground has got its own way is because so many people don't get involved in politics now, it's been the preserve of careerists and people looking to make a buck.

That's why we get this 'they're all the same what's the point narrative' they don't want those people to vote.

Obama succeeded by mobilising people to vote who wouldn't normally bother and Corbyn can do the same. He's already made a play for the young vote, skillfully sidestepping the attempts to frame him as a dinosaur.

In fact, some of his plays seem so well judged and polished I'm starting to wonder if this was all the big upset it was painted as, but rather an old labour coup carried off with applomb.

Labour MPs should start any interview they have by repeating the phrase in a SMASH robot voice and then burst out laughing. Take your enemy's propaganda and turn it against them.

Or get some talking action men and Barbie dolls with pull cords and that as the only phrase.

10492007_937316842959301_472254461461505

David Cameron

3 hrs · 

The Labour Party is now a threat to our national security, our economic security and your family's security.

From Facebook

Seems the tories have a message.

Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.[/size]

That's the trouble though, the country is full of morons who do believe it. Especially if it's the S*n what says it.