You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

36 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The EU could have offered a long extension till maybe after the next election. They chose to threaten our elected mps with a quick no deal Brexit. Sorry but that's the reality.

In doing so they have sold the million who marched in London down the river whilst propping up a Tory government. 

It’s the tories who threaten the MPs with no deal brexit as they have been doing for the last 2 years. It’s like you’re living in a bizarro world.

EU Commisison President Jean Claude Juncker has said "I am happy about the deal but I am sad about Brexit" as he and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson delivered a press announcement this lunchtime.

The U.K. chose to leave, it was in the EU remit to get the best possible deal for the EU. Ideally the EU would prefer the U.K. to remain but that is not up to them. 

Now (another) deal has been agreed, if the U.K. are leaving then it is best for the EU that the deal is agreed by parliament, I don't see anything wrong with what Juncker said above. 

It is the craziest mindset of certain Brexitiers that they point to the EU looking out for themselves, once the U.K. voted to leave, as evidence that the EU is anti Britain. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Behave, they have been more than generous with the extensions, extensions that the Uk asked for and agreed upon.

Saying the EU have sold those who marched in London down the river just shows what an utter moron you are. 

I'm wasting my time, so best just to ignore your ramblings in future.  

Its not ramblings it a a fact, the EU could have granted anther extension. The truth hurts but it's what they could be done. The had it in their power. Sorry but it's the truth.

Anyway thanks for the insults I'm off to watch the football.

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Oh come on angry. Junker is trying to rule over our parliament with threats to our mps. 

To downplay his part in the EU is laughable, here's Johnson with the other gaggle of cunts

How is comparing his role in the EU with the PM's role in the UK downplaying anything? 

I'd say it's a valid comparison.

17 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Its not ramblings it a a fact, the EU could have granted anther extension. The truth hurts but it's what they could be done. The had it in their power. Sorry but it's the truth.

Anyway thanks for the insults I'm off to watch the football.

I'm confused now.

You want the UK to leave the EU, but you also want the EU to offer a longer extension than the UK asks for? 

The EU won’t agree a deal - they’re holding us against our will and bullying/betraying the 52%. We need to take back control, leave immediately and stop these unelected bureaucrats overriding our sovereignty.

The EU make the best of a situation entirely of our making and negotiate a deal as we keep demanding - they’re not offering more and longer than we ask for extensions, so are callously leaving the 48% to their fate.

Its almost like they can’t do anything without being cunts and all other permutations are relentlessly interpreted myopically to arrive at the above conclusion, irrespective of any other context.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I think you're pretty much on the button there. 

What does this EU message say to the  48%  or more who want to stay in thw eu and those marching in London yesterday? The answer I suspect is  similar to the message they gave to the youth of Greece, which was go fuck yourself.

After Juncker’s  unintended (imo) verbalised thoughts went viral, more significantly, no member states backed his statement. Macron later made an independant statement of a veto.

I think the EU are playing both sides still. A bob each way - and why not? They’ve got a new Treaty that gives them advantages over a clean break, and as we’ve already diagnosed - the polls are shifting toward remain. Corbyn and Co can really sense the tide turning.

A significant kick of the can now, and a remain election campaign, could bring a very close result - the hard line brexiteers will suck farage’s dick - and those votes will come from the tories. However, they are diminishing.

Still though, the six million pound question: which belongs in the other topic....should Labour ditch Corbyn.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The polls might shift towards remain but there's no way there'll be another in out referendum. 

I think there may be a move right now, to pass legislation for a 2nd referendum and vote on it tomorrow (Monday) but obviously, they’ll need weeks to organise it - would the EU agree?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/20/peoples-vote-split-by-power-struggle-at-crucial-time-for-alliance

A précis of the story from Guardian Live:

All is not well at the People’s Vote campaign, Rowena Mason reports: clashes between PR guru Roland Rudd and Labour peer Peter Mandelson have sent the organisation into crisis just as the prospect of testing MPs’ support for a second referendum becomes a reality.

Alastair Campbell’s involved, too, as a leak to the Mail on Sunday showed:

The emails suggested Mandelson and Alastair Campbell, another former New Labour communications adviser, had been attempting to work together against Rudd earlier this year. In one email, Campbell said: “I do not see how this gets done without a public battle and it should happen soon and be fast and brutal.”

This October 31st date is just for Brexit voting simpletons, if the deal had been passed they'd have believed we were out and nothing had changed. It's all a ruse for Boris to win an election during the transition period. The shit won't hit the fan until December 2020.

The deal was defeated yesterday and if May's deal histrionics are anything to go by it's not coming back without amendments. There's no time to pass the legislation for it now in time for Boris not to kill himself in a ditch.

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

This October 31st date is just for Brexit voting simpletons, if the deal had been passed they'd have believed we were out and nothing had changed. It's all a ruse for Boris to win an election during the transition period. The shit won't hit the fan until December 2020.

The deal was defeated yesterday and if May's deal histrionics are anything to go by it's not coming back without amendments. There's no time to pass the legislation for it now in time for Boris not to kill himself in a ditch.

Did the deal get beat yesterday? I thought they never voted on it. 

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Did the deal get beat yesterday? I thought they never voted on it. 

Could be wrong but from reading reports, as far as I understand, the Letwin amendment was all part of the vote on Boris's deal. That's why Bercow has to decide if it can be bought back for a vote tomorrow. Plus, Boris's bluster is just to hide the fact he has had to ask for the extension that he wasn't going to ask for.

Edit: Just rechecked. They debated the motion on Saturday so 

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

The EU are prepared to offer a 3 month extension if the deal doesn't go through, according to Breaking News from Times sources. 

If so at  least they've done something right for once, so I applaud them for that. The bunch of cunts.

4 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Could be wrong but from reading reports, as far as I understand, the Letwin amendment was all part of the vote on Boris's deal. That's why Bercow has to decide if it can be bought back for a vote tomorrow. Plus, Boris's bluster is just to hide the fact he has had to ask for the extension that he wasn't going to ask for.

Strange, I am not sure I understand that and if that was the case, it seems madness the government didn't vote on it - what a fuck up from them. I am right in thinking the reason it wasn't voted on is Johnson got in a strop and went home? 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Strange, I am not sure I understand that and if that was the case, it seems madness the government didn't vote on it - what a fuck up from them. I am right in thinking the reason it wasn't voted on is Johnson got in a strop and went home? 

I'm just reading this. This might clarify some things. Haven't read it all yet. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

Sorry, just read another analysis. The motion has already been debated, apparently it's possible, as with May's deal, that the commons can't debate the same motion again. That's what Bercow has to decide on. If they do then they can also rerun the Letwin amendment so still end up delaying the passing of the deal.

44 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Think it may be that the Letwin amendment says the withdrawal agreement has to be ratified first.

51 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm just reading this. This might clarify some things. Haven't read it all yet. 

Who'd want to be in bercows shoes now. If he blocks the MV, the right wing nutters will be ready to kill him. 

50 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Sorry, just read another analysis. The motion has already been debated, apparently it's possible, as with May's deal, that the commons can't debate the same motion again. That's what Bercow has to decide on. If they do then they can also rerun the Letwin amendment so still end up delaying the passing of the deal.

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Think it may be that the Letwin amendment says the withdrawal agreement has to be ratified first.

It's fucking complicated isn't it? I think I follow this quite closely and I don't have a clue!