You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

39 minutes ago, moof said:

Yawn. This is an entirely Tory mess, labour are just reacting to a situation by trying to bring people together 

How do you bring racists xenophobes and nationalists together with the people they want kicked out of the country or the people that aren't head the ball isolantionists? Labour position is nonsensical, these knuckle draggers have probably never voted Labour because apparently it "just tries to help immigrants." Trying to get on board with Labour's two faced position is just as stupid. 

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

How do you bring racists xenophobes and nationalists together with the people they want kicked out of the country? Labour position is nonsensical, trying to get on board with it is just as stupid.

Not as stupid as sweeping statements claiming 17 million plus people are just racists who want to kick foreigners out of the country 

30 minutes ago, moof said:

Not as stupid as sweeping statements claiming 17 million plus people are just racists who want to kick foreigners out of the country 

Fine, not every leaver is a racist. I thought that was already established but cool, whatever. Now,  how do you bring racists xenophobes and nationalists together with people they think aren't equals? 

Just now, skend04 said:

Fine, not every leaver is a racist. I thought that was already established but cool, whatever. Now,  how do you bring racists xenophobes and nationalists together with people they think aren't equals? 

By convincing them the problem is economic, not social.

10 hours ago, skend04 said:

Yes but all racists are leavers

Guest Pistonbroke

Update. Just got my new UK passport. Still the same colour (burgundy) but they have left out the 'European Union' headline, bit presumptuous imo, not like the Uk are selling Brexit well. The reason I extended my UK passport was down to the German side. I had started the process of getting German residency on a permanent basis and they told me to save my money. This was months ago ( I posted about it, just can't be arsed finding the post) and they said Brexit would be extended, they were spot on with that. They also laughed when I said Brexit would probably not happen. Well I had another interview due to my new UK passport arriving and the same official said that the 10 year renewal would probably outlive the Brexit fiasco.........make of that what you will. Plus this bloke I have to talk to is pretty high up in the big scheme of things. He is a bit coy when i pump him for information, probably just protecting his arse, but he laughs every time I mention Brexit, as do I. 

In case anyone still thought Brexit was a good idea ..

Donald Trump has called on Britain to leave the European Union without a deal if Brussels refuses to meet its demands, as he urged the government to send Nigel Farage into the negotiations.

In his second extraordinary intervention into British politics ahead of this week’s state visit, the US president suggested the UK should “walk away” from talks and refuse to pay the £39bn divorce bill if its requests were not met.

Trump told the Sunday Times it was a “mistake” not to involve Farage in negotiations, saying the Brexit party leader had a “lot to offer” and was someone he liked a lot. Trump added: “He is a very smart person. They won’t bring him in. Think how well they would do if they did. They just haven’t figured that out yet.”

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Was just about to post this.  Just beggars belief that people are so stupid to have bought into the lies on the big fuck-off bus.  Rumours were rife several years ago that the Government , led by Gove, was discussing possible involvement of US Insurance companies to run the NHS. 

If we end up with a deal that means half the people in this country think they achieved total victory and the other half think they have been totally defeated, that is not the recipe for unity in the future. And countries that are not unified are not successful.

Fucking hell. What's happened to Hammond? I thought this was how Tories did their politics? 

On 29/05/2019 at 11:21, Scooby Dudek said:

We must have left the EU already, because we can't take back control of train services whilst a member;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48443964

Northern rail: Mayors call for government takeover

Elected mayors have called for the government to take control of rail operator Northern - accusing it of breaking promises to passengers.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham and Liverpool metro mayor Steve Rotheram accused the firm of failing to deliver promised improvements.

They said commuters were being crammed on to smaller trains and facing regular delays.

The BBC has approached Northern for comment.

The latest criticism of the operator's record came a year after widespread rail timetable chaos affected services country-wide.

The mayors said Northern, operated by Arriva Rail North, had failed to tackle issues such as overcrowding and said the number of trains being run with reduced carriages had risen since December last year.

'Enough is enough'

They accused Northern of repeatedly failing to introduce promised commuter services to towns including Knutsford and Northwich, in Cheshire, and said it risked failing to meet its own deadline to phase out ageing Pacer trains by the end of 2019.

Northern ran up to a fifth of its services late and had cancelled 255 services last Sunday, according to figures published by the mayors' offices.

The mayors said they had been forced to intervene to end an industrial disputewith the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) over the role of guards which halted thousands of Saturday services spanning 47 weeks.

Mr Burnham said: "We have been extremely patient with Northern but enough is enough.

"They promised us that things would be significantly better by May 2019 and that hasn't happened."

The mayors said the Department for Transport (DfT) had a "legal duty" to take over as operator of last resort in the same way it had taken control of the East Coast Main Line last year.

Northern's franchises cover the North West, Yorkshire, parts of Derbyshire, and the North East and are due to run until 2025.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "There should now be a swift transition of the Northern routes into a public sector operation. There can be no excuses for any delay."

The BBC has approached the DfT for comment.

Are you defending the EU on it's policy of privatisation? Or to be more specific the forth rail package.

On 29/05/2019 at 11:21, Scooby Dudek said:

We must have left the EU already, because we can't take back control of train services whilst a member;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48443964

Northern rail: Mayors call for government takeover

Elected mayors have called for the government to take control of rail operator Northern - accusing it of breaking promises to passengers.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham and Liverpool metro mayor Steve Rotheram accused the firm of failing to deliver promised improvements.

They said commuters were being crammed on to smaller trains and facing regular delays.

The BBC has approached Northern for comment.

The latest criticism of the operator's record came a year after widespread rail timetable chaos affected services country-wide.

The mayors said Northern, operated by Arriva Rail North, had failed to tackle issues such as overcrowding and said the number of trains being run with reduced carriages had risen since December last year.

'Enough is enough'

They accused Northern of repeatedly failing to introduce promised commuter services to towns including Knutsford and Northwich, in Cheshire, and said it risked failing to meet its own deadline to phase out ageing Pacer trains by the end of 2019.

Northern ran up to a fifth of its services late and had cancelled 255 services last Sunday, according to figures published by the mayors' offices.

The mayors said they had been forced to intervene to end an industrial disputewith the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) over the role of guards which halted thousands of Saturday services spanning 47 weeks.

Mr Burnham said: "We have been extremely patient with Northern but enough is enough.

"They promised us that things would be significantly better by May 2019 and that hasn't happened."

The mayors said the Department for Transport (DfT) had a "legal duty" to take over as operator of last resort in the same way it had taken control of the East Coast Main Line last year.

Northern's franchises cover the North West, Yorkshire, parts of Derbyshire, and the North East and are due to run until 2025.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "There should now be a swift transition of the Northern routes into a public sector operation. There can be no excuses for any delay."

The BBC has approached the DfT for comment.

The first sentence of this post is a glib little jibe suggesting that because we can nationalise certain parts of our rail network (It's only the shit parts mind) then the EU prompted privatisation policy the forth rail package is nothing to be concerned with. 

Numero? Are you there?

30 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Opposing Brexit? Nope. In opposition and behind in the electoral polls? Yes.

So, this is factually incorrect.

What? It’s the only party that can help avoid Brexit by backing another referendum, which they’ve done. Of course it’s correct. They are the only other party that can win the election, so of course it’s correct. Whether or not they will or are likely to doesn’t stop them being the only party able to. 

On 02/06/2019 at 13:10, AngryofTuebrook said:

Trump has just repeated NHS will be part of the negotiation. 

Francis Maude, former trade minister and now a Lord, was on Sky News this morning basically slagging the EU and Obama for TTIP failing, hoping we can reignite it once we leave. 

On 03/06/2019 at 15:12, moof said:

Only the Labour Party can save the NHS

Yes.  If  that fails there is the option of a nurses strike which almost guarantees the government of the time crashes.

The winter of discontent and the nurses strike signaled the end of Jim Callaghan govt in 79. Once the nurses quite rightly told Jim to go fuck himself, Sunny Jim was sunny no more.

The nurses strike in 82 only lasted about a day till Thatcher caved and gave then the demanded pay rise. Thatcher was clever enough not to step on their toes again for the rest of her premiership. So not so iron.

Obviously we have had 30 odd years of attacks on trade unions and various negative tory legislation which makes any action more difficult but the nurses and  nhs workers still.hold  a good degree of  power to bring a government to it's knees.