You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Day off

G Richards

Wanted to start this thread in tribute to a nice day off. What do you do? What makes it special? How does it rejuvenate you?

I have the day off today. Been a very busy week with lots of early and late days, so today's change of pace is most welcome. Sitting in the back garden with Mrs G. Nice lunch - lovely salad and Mahi Tuna steaks, and nice glass of chilled fizz (cheaper, but not bad). Just catching up and talking. When kids get home we will have a bike ride together then our tradition is 'Friday Family Fun Night' - sounds lame, but each Friday night we have made an intentional decision hang out together. We go our separate ways plenty of time, so we have one evening designated for family time. We will watch a film together in the man cave down in the basement, then we will eat all evening - kids usually choose stuff they like.

Anyway, simple pleasures. Nothing expensive or needing a big plan, but for me, a perfect day off.

So, how do you spend your day off? What recharges your batteries?

• Upvote 10

I usually wake up with useful plans, then waste about five hours on here and Facebook (and the "incognito browser", obviously).

Yeah, this. All the useful plans vie for my attention and get jammed  in their rush to get through such a narrow window of opportunity. Leaving me no option but for web frippery over a leisurely brunch. Followed by maybe going for a pootle to nowhere in particular in the car. Which usually ends up needing an 'Italian tune-up' given how seldomly I use it's extravagant ass.

It happens so rarely I tend to plan to do everything.

Something I'm painfully shit at is doing nothing. Plus I cannot plan lye-ins? Never works. So I end up doing both everything and nothing and the second I get back to work it dawns on me all the ace things I could be doing if I was off.

However, the real benchmark of having a day off, no matter what your plans are, when everyone else is at work, is catching at least 5mins of the loons on Jeremy Kyle

I love the free day of bank holiday weekend and now understand why the guffs use to bang on about it so much on the radio when I was growing up. So this weekend I can aim for seeing the fight on sat morn with mates then go out Sunday night for a friends birthday. Perfect.

I usually wake up with useful plans, then waste about five hours on here and Facebook (and the "incognito browser", obviously).

This. Especially the Incognito browser bit.

I'm always too skint to actually go out and do something (granted I could go walking somewhere like some mentioned, but then, petrol. Not walking round Walton .

Fucking Tories.

Lie in, cup of proper coffee, catch up with my mesages, suf the web for a bit, light bite, afternoon kip, cool shower with the window open, out for a few pints in the local beer garden, Indian, film, NFL draft, not a care in the world.

As if.

We have seen the "Summer slags" thread, y'know.  We know how you spend every waking hour, you mucky beast.

• Upvote 5

As if.

We have seen the "Summer slags" thread, y'know.  We know how you spend every waking hour, you mucky beast.

And thank the lord he does. 

Normally if I have a day off I get shit faced the night before and spend it hungover feeling sorry for myself, accomplishing fuck all except negging strontium dog. 

(this is a joke strontz before you start) 

• Upvote 1

As already said the best days off are when everyone else is working. You wake up with her when the alarm goes off, early morning fuck (none of this love making shite) just bang her and then go back to sleep.

Wake up late morning, take the dog for a walk stopping at a country pub for a quick bite to eat and a couple of jars.

Back home via the butchers, spend some time on here, private browsing, spend some time making a really nice meal like shin of beef, open a couple of good bottles of red to breathe, cool shower and change ready for when she gets home.

Bath is run ready for her so send her upstairs with a glass of wine as soon as she gets through the door. Tell her she's not allowed downstairs for at least an hour and definitely not wearing more than 3 items of clothing including underwear.

When she's in the bath put some music on, couple more beers when just putting the finishing touches to the cooking.

Sit at the table to eat, start on the wine, spend time actually talking together, pretend you're listening so she's lapping it all up and then to the sofa.

She gives you a foot massage and neck rub, you give her a massage, some good loving on the sofa and then off to bed for a session.

Well that's if you've been together less than 3 months.

The reality now is;

Woken up at 5am by morning prayer and then fight to get back to sleep by 6:30.

Woken again by 9am by kids thinking the hotel corridor is a playground.

First moaning from her when work phone has gone twice by 9:30 and 'this is meant to be my time with you'.

Second bout of moaning when I want to turn the air con up so I can have a cup of tea.

Reply to work emails, chase Emirati Card and Villa, no luck with either so moan No3.

Bit of salad and water for lunch and then up to the pool. Have a look on here, check out the fit French/Morrocan pregnant bird, bit of a swim and work phone starts going again.

Can tell she's in a piss so offer to take her out for the evening as phone should go quiet by 6:30 7ish but 'No, I want a day with you myself. The day's been ruined, I don't want to go out tonight now'.

So off to happy hour for a couple of scoops on my jack jones, home for some food and then try and watch a film together on the laptop.

Can't agree on film choice so tell her to watch Harry Potter and I'll come on here. 'Well you might as well, you've not been off your phone all day'.

Come on here for an hour or so and then tentively see how the ground lies for a fuck. 'The only fuck you're getting Colin is fuck off'.

Wait for her to fall asleep and private browse.

I've a day off today, unfortunately there's no overtime at the moment.

I am not a fan of dogs.

However, we got one about 6 months ago.  The drawbacks are it ruins a lot of things.  The pluses are it gives you an excuse to go on a lovely walk and feel you've achieved something.

The posts of stories of wasted days doing nothing then feeling guilty remind me of when I used to be able to do nothing then feel guilty.

Get a dog.  You can't not do anything.

The best days off are the ones when ms Red is away. A walk on the coastal path with the dogs, a late afternoon kip then out on the piss. Up for the dogs then sitting about all day doing fuck all feeling shite.

There are definitely 2 different kinds of day off for me...the Micky Flanagan doing fuck all day off and those days when you get yourself organised, go out somewhere and have one of those days when you feel like you've been on holiday. My best fuck all days are spent on my own, doing my own thing, for as long as I want to, without having to take anyone else's needs into account. Conversely, my best planned days are usually spent with others. Both great in different ways.

This morning Mr Champ went out early and I'm having a fuck all day (until I go to work later on), sat in bed with a cup of tea, listening to Saturday Live on the radio, the sun's shining. I'm happy

House tidy for me today - 10 guests for supper.  They're only getting lasagne, so that's already done, but when wives of friends come around they want to look around the whole house on the pretext that you fitted a new light switch somewhere.   

House tidy for me today - 10 guests for supper.  They're only getting lasagne, so that's already done, but when wives of friends come around they want to look around the whole house on the pretext that you fitted a new light switch somewhere.

Thats not a day off. You'll get your day off once all the debris from today has been washed and out away.

I'll leave others to take the piss out of you for the use of 'supper' as it would seem they're not coming round for Horlicks and a Digestive