You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

That's absolute nonsense, anyone that has been taking notice of the games this season and especially of late will know that Gerrard has been a pure passenger most of the time, to be brutally honest he's a hindrance nowadays.

Last night we were as solid as we have been all season especially the first half, the balance was there, we were a properly functioning team working as one with no loose parts, it was really nice to see.

It was a great performance.  The point that it was a great performance because Gerrard wasn't there is wrong in my view.

Would you put that performance as the best of the season? Maybe.  And what would you put 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th?  Was Gerrard there?

No, he hasn't been playing well - like many others in the team.  Mostly it was because of the formation and personnel - sticking him in the anchor role with no movement in front of him ain't going to bring out his best.

I'm not taking a "he must play at all costs" stance, but I don't like the brickbat throwers seeing justification for their view with the flimsiest of evidence.

I see it as a red herring - we played well and Gerrard wasn't there = we played well because Gerrard wasn't there?  No.

Almost as bad as wanting to swap Barry for Alonso.

All managers make those kind of mistakes.

*throws grenade and runs*

Would have been a great deal with the benefit of hindsight. No Keane or Aquilani. A decent DM for the last five years. A great return in place of one season of Xabi counting down the days to his tax and exchange rate boosted pay-off.

Have I missed anything out?

Would have been a great deal with the benefit of hindsight. No Keane or Aquilani. A decent DM for the last five years. A great return in place of one season of Xabi counting down the days to his tax and exchange rate boosted pay-off.

Have I missed anything out?

Haha.

The money dried up in his last couple of years too.

Brendan's only had two successes for £200m so far - and one of them is injury-prone and the other is inconsistent. I don't think there's any comparison between their records.

Spot on.

Benítez operated with a net profit in the transfer market before he left. 

Spot on.

Benítez operated with a net profit in the transfer market before he left.

Does that mean you should just ignore the purchases?

The reason this discussion is being had is because someone said earlier that we've been poor in the transfer market since Benitez left.

It's been going on a hell of a lot longer than that though, unfortunately.

*thinks about Diao, Diouf and Cheyrou and shudders*

I dont see the point in all these comparisons between rafa and rodgers as they are pointless, rafa is a great manager and a top guy but the owners wont go for him as manager if rodgers went.

Rafa had full control of transfers unlike rodgers, the only thing similar is they both had to work with less then the teams they were expected to compete with.

What we should remember about the rafa situation is we had an excellent manager who showed progress in every season and then when he had a bad one  we fucked him off and suffered in the years after.

Fans should have learned to be more patient after that and now we have a good manager who has been improving the club accept there will be bad times and stay behind him.

• Upvote 6

One thing I saw posted that I struggled to comprehend. Is that we have the 2nd most expensive defence in Europe after PSG. I would like to think that has been exaggerated, but it's still an expensive defence nonetheless.

If part of the Rodgers  philosophy, is we will concede goals anyway. Why did he spend so much of the budget on expensive defensive replacements?. 

I dont see the point in all these comparisons between rafa and rodgers as they are pointless, rafa is a great manager and a top guy but the owners wont go for him as manager if rodgers went.

Rafa had full control of transfers unlike rodgers, the only thing similar is they both had to work with less then the teams they were expected to compete with.

What we should remember about the rafa situation is we had an excellent manager who showed progress in every season and then when he had a bad one we fucked him off and suffered in the years after.

Fans should have learned to be more patient after that and now we have a good manager who has been improving the club accept there will be bad times and stay behind him.

I agree with that.

It was a great performance.  The point that it was a great performance because Gerrard wasn't there is wrong in my view.

Would you put that performance as the best of the season? Maybe.  And what would you put 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th?  Was Gerrard there?

No, he hasn't been playing well - like many others in the team.  Mostly it was because of the formation and personnel - sticking him in the anchor role with no movement in front of him ain't going to bring out his best.

I'm not taking a "he must play at all costs" stance, but I don't like the brickbat throwers seeing justification for their view with the flimsiest of evidence.

I see it as a red herring - we played well and Gerrard wasn't there = we played well because Gerrard wasn't there?  No.

Yes that was our best performance of the season alongside Spurs, the rest of our performances have been average at best (maybe a couple of exceptions, Bournemouth for one) with the vast majority being shite, nowhere near good enough, i think we're lucky to have 28 points to be honest, Burnley and especially Saints and QPR was pure robbery on our part.

Flimsiest of evidence? i think there is a mountain of evidence stretching back quite a long time, it's there to see if you want to see it but i get why some fans don't won't to see or admit to it.

Saying things like Gerrard can do what Lucas and Henderson do is just wrong, he has never has been able to protect a defence for example, Lucas is our best at that, he can't get box to box like Henderson anymore and isn't capable of doing all that dirty work that needs doing in the middle of the park, without the ball we are usually a man down when Gerrard is playing, it's an unfair burden on the other players and team having to cover his flaws.

Of course Gerrard still has qualities like set piece delivery and passing but for me they are luxuries the team can ill afford nowadays, last night wasn't flimsy evidence, it was yet another clear example of why Gerrard shouldn't be a regular starter.

• Upvote 1

There were polls for rafa as well. There was def one at the end of 2008 season if not earlier. We d won the cl in 05, fa cup in 06, cl final in 07 and cl semis in 08 and there was enough unrest on here to start a poll.

Just shows how far standards have fallen

One thing I saw posted that I struggled to comprehend. Is that we have the 2nd most expensive defence in Europe after PSG. I would like to think that has been exaggerated, but it's still an expensive defence nonetheless.

If part of the Rodgers  philosophy, is we will concede goals anyway. Why did he spend so much of the budget on expensive defensive replacements?. 

Mental isn't it? where do you even begin?

Agree, Rafa wins hands down, it's a complete non contest.

I agree with you but Rafas not coming back and we have a manager who has improved us a lot since he has taken over and deserves more time when he has excuses and reasons, the same applied to rafa in his last season and I dont want to see a repeat where we get rid of a good manager and go in to obscurity for a few years like we did after Rafa.

Any manager no matter how impressive the cv would be a risk as lfc is different to managing other clubs, rodgers has shown he can do it when he has the right tools available so he is the best option right now.

• Upvote 1

Does that mean you should just ignore the purchases?

The reason this discussion is being had is because someone said earlier that we've been poor in the transfer market since Benitez left.

It's been going on a hell of a lot longer than that though, unfortunately.

*thinks about Diao, Diouf and Cheyrou and shudders*

Think it was me, and the end of Benetez's tenure pretty much saw the end of decent signings at Liverpool Football Club, save for the three mentioned exceptions (and two of them qualified exceptions).

If Benetez spent 20 mil on a player I'd be pretty excited at the prospect, under Rodgers I wouldn't, and under Dalglish I wouldn't either.