You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

If the team have won and played well, he deserves the praise.  

Agree with this. I think most who have been measured in their criticism and judgement of his potential for success will need a lot more to change their minds but ultimately would be more than happy if he turns things around(me included). The more fringe types who seem to despise him in a sort of hysterical way are naturally quiet.. 

Rodgers tactics are Eddie Murphy in a handcart and those pesky americans have bet one dollar they can remove Rafa and put in his place a novice under 11s coach and he will do just as well.

Yes I am about to watch trading places and post spurious links to denigrate anything I disagree with to particular parts of the script. Smell under my quilt.

That's class, signature worthy.

Got to admit it winds me up a bit when people use a win as an excuse to call out people who aren't fans of the manager.

What would someone who's not a believer in Rodgers be expected to do in such a case? Come on and say  you still don't think he's the man for the job and be called a moaning c*nt?

You don't judge things game by game, you look at the whole strategy. I've said before Rodgers is still young and capable of leanring, but he has got a lot to learn and if he shows signs of that then that's great, let's see where it goes. I fear though, that he won't.

• Upvote 4

Got to admit it winds me up a bit when people use a win as an excuse to call out people who aren't fans of the manager.

What would someone who's not a believer in Rodgers be expected to do in such a case? Come on and say you still don't think he's the man for the job and be called a moaning c*nt?

You don't judge things game by game, you look at the whole strategy. I've said before Rodgers is still young and capable of leanring, but he has got a lot to learn and if he shows signs of that then that's great, let's see where it goes. I fear though, that he won't.

One game isn't going to change anything (rightly so) and you're right that it's not necessarily a game-by-game situation.

Having said that, when we don't win or play well, it does seem to be game-by-game.

Just look at yesterday alone. 11 pages of debate and then post match, less than 1.

We played well last night and i enjoyed it so kudos to BR

If we go on a major winning streak and end up finishing 4th then he gets to keep his job and i'll be very happy for him but mainly happy for Liverpool FC

Do i trust him with the summer transfer budget...not so much

Guest davelfc

One game isn't going to change anything (rightly so) and you're right that it's not necessarily a game-by-game situation.

Having said that, when we don't win or play well, it does seem to be game-by-game.

Just look at yesterday alone. 11 pages of debate and then post match, less than 1.

That's probably because we support Liverpool FC and not Rodgers FC. It's also probably because no matter how far along the line you are in your doubt of him, a win is a win. A great win like last night is not only a great feeling but puts a little bit of confidence back in the manager. 

I've said plenty of times, just because I don't think he's the right man doesn't mean he isn't. Just because I don't think he will turn it around doesn't mean he will not. I'd happily look like a fool if I'm not right, but I'd take no pleasure in my guess if I am right because that would mean we have to start again. 

Ultimately he will be judged on the whole season, for now he gets credit for last night because it was a great performance on top of a convincing win. 

• Upvote 4

That's probably because we support Liverpool FC and not Rodgers FC. It's also probably because no matter how far along the line you are in your doubt of him, a win is a win. A great win like last night is not only a great feeling but puts a little bit of confidence back in the manager. 

I've said plenty of times, just because I don't think he's the right man doesn't mean he isn't. Just because I don't think he will turn it around doesn't mean he will not. I'd happily look like a fool if I'm not right, but I'd take no pleasure in my guess if I am right because that would mean we have to start again. 

Ultimately he will be judged on the whole season, for now he gets credit for last night because it was a great performance on top of a convincing win. 

My feelings exactly.

Good post mate.

There have been plenty of valid reasons for debate about Rodgers. Overall he's had a poor season so far and he's deservedly under pressure.

I guess my disappointment is that there isn't any mature debate about the issues after a good performance. So if he's been consistently making poor decisions and good points are raised then it would be interesting to talk about those points after a good win.

Not to say "look, you're wrong" etc but just to see if anything has been tweaked or what has changed? That type of stuff.

Proper analysis, that's what interests me.

I guess the FF can be a bit like Savage/Shearer when it would be good if it was Neville/Carra.

What would someone who's not a believer in Rodgers be expected to do in such a case? Come on and say  you still don't think he's the man for the job and be called a moaning c*nt?

Oh, come off it. Why would you allow all fans to simply enjoy the fact we've just had a good win when you could gain ground in the Snide Off?

Got a bit of a run going has tied in with selecting the players that the consensus of posters have said on here is hardly surprising.

Also have to say that we look better without Gerrard in the starting line up.

The presence or lack of Gerrard had little bearing on that result.  He could have done what Lucas did, and what Hendo did, too, including getting beyond the ball and whipping a cross in for the first goal.

The lack of Lovren and Balotelli were factors however, and the enforced change of formation which is so far working quite well.

• Upvote 1

The presence or lack of Gerrard had little bearing on that result.  He could have done what Lucas did, and what Hendo did, too, including getting beyond the ball and whipping a cross in for the first goal.

have to disagree with this. Last night we passed and moved at pace up front. With Gerrard in the lineup every ball goes through him and he acts like a quarterback, usually slowing down play too much. Last night the players took responsibility, they wanted it, and did so without having him call for every ball.  He's also not a dm by any stretch.

We were a lot better without him against a decent side.

• Upvote 2

What would someone who's not a believer in Rodgers be expected to do in such a case? Come on and say you still don't think he's the man for the job and be called a moaning c*nt?

That's been the problem with the people against Rodgers though, they are all jumping on his back after we have been in a bad period and are not looking at the big picture.

Rodgers has made big progress with the club and as last night showed the summer signings are not a write off.

Now players are gaining confidence and we have pace up front we are starting to play football like last season, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that would happen but too many were willing to believe a bad period meant Rodgers was shit and got lucky last season.

• Downvote 1

That's been the problem with the people against Rodgers though, they are all jumping on his back after we have been in a bad period and are not looking at the big picture.

Rodgers has made big progress with the club and as last night showed the summer signings are not a write off.

Now players are gaining confidence and we have pace up front we are starting to play football like last season, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that would happen but too many were willing to believe a bad period meant Rodgers was shit and got lucky last season.

A bad peroid is a handful of games.  Half a season gone with our worst start since the 60's & out of a pitiful champions league group without a whimper isn't just a bad period.   Miss top four this season and the clubs been set back years.

• Upvote 1

When Lallana got subbed for Lazar I wasn't thinking "oh shit". I was thinking, "is right" we could get another here with fresh legs and his attacking style. That was one positive I took from it all. And then Lazar came on and set up Balotelli and played Hendo through as well. 

Guest davelfc

You're criticising people for jumping on his back after a bad period yet lauding him for a decent performance last night. I'm confused, if you tried looking at the bigger picture then you'd see overall it's poor. 

Suddenly the summer signings are not a write off after one game, I think it's you that's not looking at the big picture.

We are all hoping it comes good but are aware it's been mainly shit, you're obviously smoking something, wood chipping dipped in creosote probably. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the reaction against Rodgers has been particularly kneejerk at all, it's come about because of consistently bad performances - including a largely soul destroying Champions League campaign - and terrible signings (they may work out, but you can't say they will based purely on last night's performance). Not just the calibre of the signings, but the nature of them - the insistance on collecting attacking players then often not using them, while positions like DM are not filled. That's a broad, strategic issue which people have taken issue with rather than a 90 minute performance. You would surely agree that - in general - Rodgers has shown to be a poor judge of player and tactically and defensively suspect.

• Upvote 1

have to disagree with this. Last night we passed and moved at pace up front. With Gerrard in the lineup every ball goes through him and he acts like a quarterback, usually slowing down play too much. Last night the players took responsibility, they wanted it, and did so without having him call for every ball. He's also not a dm by any stretch.

We were a lot better without him against a decent side.

Yep.

I also think Henderson takes more responsibility when Gerrard isnt there.

Does anybody know how many assists Henderson has so far? He always seems to be in the build up or grab the assist.

There have been plenty of valid reasons for debate about Rodgers. Overall he's had a poor season so far and he's deservedly under pressure.

I guess my disappointment is that there isn't any mature debate about the issues after a good performance.

A good post in full.

I am a Rodgers sceptic, that does not mean that I don't want him to succeed though.

I thought that 343, and including, Can was brave, and worked. It is also a formation that functions without Gerrard.

If, as seems likely, we beat Leicester and the Wombles, the new year suddenly looks bright. Four straight wins, the 4th round of the FA Cup, an EL campaign a LC semi final and Sturridge back.

What Brendan is allowed to do in the January window will be key. He should not bring in more than one or two, net expenditure should be zero with a few going out. And if he buys wisely, and coaches what we have well, our improved form may well continue.

The LC will be important to him. He is three games away from a trophy, possibly the only one he may win with us. Last season and the absence of the SAS has bought him some slack, a fifth or sixth finish and a trophy would do just fine for him in the circumstances.

You're criticising people for jumping on his back after a bad period yet lauding him for a decent performance last night. I'm confused, if you tried looking at the bigger picture then you'd see overall it's poor.

Suddenly the summer signings are not a write off after one game, I think it's you that's not looking at the big picture.

We are all hoping it comes good but are aware it's been mainly shit, you're obviously smoking something, wood chipping dipped in creosote probably.

I've been saying the summer signings will come good for weeks, I am not lauding Rodgers I just recognise what Rodgers has done on his time here.

I've also been saying for weeks the problem is lack of confidence and pace up front, now that is returning it is no surprise Rodgers is getting us to play like we did in the 18 months previous to this season.