You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth v Liverpool (Capital One Cup QF) Wed 19:45

Guest davelfc

Guest davelfc

Suppose we'd better get this one started. I think this will be a great game, for the neutral.

Liverpool travel to Bournemouth for a Capital One Cup quarter-final tie on Wednesday evening.

Brendan Rodgers' side have beaten Middlesbrough and Swansea City in previous rounds to reach this stage of the competition.

The Reds met the Championship outfit in the FA Cup last season, running out 2-0 winners at the Goldsands Stadium.

Eddie Howe's side go into this stage of the competition for the first time in the clubs history and are top of the Championship.

Draws with Millwall, Ipswich and Middlesbrough are the only games which haven't brought victories over the last ten outings.

The Cherries have scored 23 goals and conceded 11 over that period.

Guest davelfc

Former Liverpool and Bournemouth midfielder Jimmy Case says the Premier League side are "there for the taking" before Wednesday's League Cup quarter-final between the two at Dean Court.

Liverpool were beaten 3-0 by Manchester United on Sunday in the same week they exited the Champions League.

The Cherries, meanwhile, are currently top of the Championship.

"If I was a Bournemouth fan I would be rubbing my hands," Case told BBC Radio Solent's Sportshour show.

"Liverpool are there for the taking. I watch Liverpool every game. The lack of confidence within the side, the work ethic, there is a lot of work to do to get them back on track."

With Brendan Rodgers’ team short of goals and unable to keep a clean sheet, it is difficult to make them favourites against a side that has not lost since September.

‘I don’t think Liverpool will keep a clean sheet here,’ said Redknapp. ‘I don’t think many clubs would. This lot are a good side.

‘I was chatting to Eddie and he was telling me how he likes to play attacking football on the front foot. I like the way he uses his full-backs going forward. Eddie is looking forward to this and I can see why.

‘I didn’t see the positives for Liverpool on Sunday that other people did,’ reflected Redknapp. ‘I never at any point thought they would win. They are devoid of all confidence. It’s sweeping through the team.

‘And now they have resorted to playing without a centre forward. That’s a bad situation. The players they have bought haven’t been good enough. Not yet, anyway. It hasn’t worked and Brendan must take responsibility for that.

‘Football management is so fickle. I was asking Eddie about his targets earlier and he said he looks no further than three games ahead. He’s right.

‘A few months ago Brendan was manager of the year and now look at the pressure he is under.

‘I don’t think they should change him. That would be madness. I like Brendan, I think he is good. But he has made mistakes this season and he is suffering for them

‘It’s been humbling for him. He just needs to ride the storm but there will be no bigger test than this one here.’

Jamie Redknapp's view

Guest davelfc

Lucy Pinder was discovered on a beach in Bournemouth.

lucy-pinder-03.jpg

Sensational scenes.

Two up front and tight at the back, we've been saying that all season. 

• Upvote 11

Guest davelfc

Brendan Rodgers explained today why he plans to select a Liverpool side to face Bournemouth tomorrow night which reflects his and the players' ambitions to succeed in the Capital One Cup.

The Reds travel to the Goldsands Stadium - the scene of a 2-0 away victory in the FA Cup in January 2014 - for a quarter-final tie against the team that currently tops the Championship table.

Following quickly on from Sunday's clash at Manchester United and with Arsenal on the horizon at Anfield this coming weekend, the manager was quizzed at a pre-match press conference about his likely squad choices.

His response was to highlight why the competition holds importance for Liverpool, who have lifted this particular trophy on eight previous occasions, and how the chosen starting XI will be decided on that basis.

Rodgers told reporters gathered at Melwood: "This is the first cup competition that you can win, so it was always a priority for me. We wanted to do well in it.

"At the moment we're only looking at the next game, but that's something that I've always done throughout my time here. The next game is the most important. "Of course, we've got a big game at the weekend on top of that. But the idea is to go into the game tomorrow night to win and I'll pick the team that I think can win the game."

Asked for an update on any injury concerns within the squad, the boss added: "There is nothing new. Mario [balotelli] has had a problem with his groin that has been ongoing, so we'll assess that. But apart from that, everyone should be fine."

His brain is located there.

Less a question of what we do than what B'mouth does. Will they use their best players and go for it? If they do, if they see this as a possible long shot rode to Wembley they'll rush us right off the pitch. But I'm not so sure they'll see this as so important, at least when they're early days for being promoted.

They may throw out a lesser team against our best.