You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Ludogorets

Paco

TLW picks the team v Ludogorets  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who starts?

2. 2. What formation?

Mignolet

Manquillo

Skrtel

Toure

Moreno

Lucas

Henderson

Can

Allen

Lallana

Lambert

that back 4 did ok away to madrid. Lucas in front giving protection. Henderson, Can and Allen provide energy in midfield to win the ball back. Lallana trying to unlock the door for lambert again. lallana has to take responsibility for scoring goals also.

strong bench with sterling, gerrard and coutinho to come on at some stage.

I'm surprised no one is leaving Sterling out, he's been awful for weeks.

Not that I'm saying I would but he could do with a rest.

Edit - apologies, Paco.

Mignolet

Manquillo, Skrtl, Toure, Moreno

Allen, Can

Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana

Lambert

Mignolet

Manquillo Skrtel Toure Moreno

Lucas Can

Sterling Coutinho Lallana

Borini

I'd stick with most of that side until January. Lambert in for Borini against sides that defend deeper. Henderson or Allen in for one of the three behind the striker if we want to be even more solid. Sakho in for Toure when he's fit enough to start. Flanagan rotated with Manquillo when he's back (with the former probably get more games). Gerrard used off the bench as a number 10. Markovic to get the last ten minutes of games wide left. Enrique in if Moreno needs a rest. Balotelli, Lovren, and Johnson to not get a single minute, and do everything we can to get rid of them in January.

Looks like Gerrard will be playing anyway.

Captain Steven Gerrard has been criticised for his performances this season, but Rodgers insists the 34-year-old should not be written off and says he has no intention of releasing him from his defensive role.

"I judge Steven on merit. I think the spotlight he has been under is incredible. Everything for us is based around being a team," said Rodgers.

"If people are expecting Steven Gerrard to be the type of player he was 10 years ago that is sadly not the case.

"He has slowly been adapting to a position I felt he could benefit the team but a player who was scoring 15 goals a season and making 13 or 14 assists.....he is not that type of player (any more).

"It is hugely unfair he is judged at that level. He is a wonderful player and I can quite safely say he is the best player I have worked with in terms of footballing mentality and the loyalty he has shown to this club is without question.

"I don't deal so much in (being) sentimental. There is nothing sentimental in me picking Steven Gerrard.

"He is coming towards the latter part of his career but he still has a valuable contribution to make.

"He can play three games in a week but he won't be able to play it to the level he would like or I would like and it is my job to manage that."

If people are expecting Steven Gerrard to be the type of player he was 10 years ago that is sadly not the case.

"He has slowly been adapting to a position I felt he could benefit the team but a player who was scoring 15 goals a season and making 13 or 14 assists.....he is not that type of player (any more).

"It is hugely unfair he is judged at that level.

Who the fuck is judging him by those standards!? He has been terrible defensively.

Rodgers is babbling in an alternate universe.

Looks like Gerrard will be playing anyway.

Captain Steven Gerrard has been criticised for his performances this season, but Rodgers insists the 34-year-old should not be written off and says he has no intention of releasing him from his defensive role.

"I judge Steven on merit. I think the spotlight he has been under is incredible. Everything for us is based around being a team," said Rodgers.

"If people are expecting Steven Gerrard to be the type of player he was 10 years ago that is sadly not the case.

"It is hugely unfair he is judged at that level. He is a wonderful player and I can quite safely say he is the best player I have worked with in terms of footballing mentality and the loyalty he has shown to this club is without question.

"I don't deal so much in (being) sentimental. There is nothing sentimental in me picking Steven Gerrard.

"He is coming towards the latter part of his career but he still has a valuable contribution to make.

"He can play three games in a week but he won't be able to play it to the level he would like or I would like and it is my job to manage that."

Oh right. A load of fucking bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Jones/Ming  (both not good enough)

Manquillo                      Skrtel                            Toure                   Enrique*

Lucas                             Can

Gerrard                                            Coutinho                         Sterling

Lambert

Id start that against Ludogorets. Lallana can come in for Gerrard if needs resting, and Henderson for Can likewise.

Apart from that id stick with that team for the next ten games.

As far as im concerned the full backs can stay back and defend until the defence gets more confidence, and if the match dictates that the full backs can go forward then so be it.

I cant believe im saying this but id start Jones probably as well. I think Mingolet isnt helping his defence, i think his fragile confidence is shot and i dont think he is good enough.

* If Fit, if not Moreno can come in.

If Rodgers can't see that Gerrard can't play that role then I'm afraid he's fucked and I've no sympathy for him. Stevie Wonder can see this.

Take out the 'club legend' factor and Gerrard should be nowhere near the first 11, certainly not in that position and given how bad his shooting is these days I wouldn't have him in behind the striker either.

The game's up.

Mignolet

Manquillo
Skrtel
Toure
Moreno

Lucas
Can

Coutinho
Lallana
Sterling

Lambert

If Can looks fucked after an hour as per, depends what the state of the game is.  If we need goals, Gerrard on and pushed up.  No idea if he can still do it or not but if we're chasing this game after an hour the time to worry about that is past, tell him to spend 90 minutes worth of energy in 30 and just play fucking football.

If we're 2-0 up or something, I'd bring Henderson on if a midfield change is needed, switch the rest round as needed to cover whoever came off and play to keep what we have.  We don't need some stupid attempt at a confidence boosting 4-1 win and ending up getting shafted Palace-style, all I want us to do tomorrow is get 3 points and come home.