You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

If this nosedive continues and we're left with no option but to get rid, which really is the bottom line in that this current trajectory can't go on as we're utterly appalling, then it's hard to say whether it's the right or wrong move and may be so for a long time if not ever. Like, people might have said sacking Rafa, sacking Kenny was or wasn't the right move but I wouldn't say either of those things have been proven either way, even now. The basic fact of football management is that if you're not getting the expected results, you're in trouble.

Just going to link this for no reason other than to throw a bucket of petrol onto the already smouldering thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/21/jurgen-klopp-borussia-dortmund-premier-league

*sniggers, backs out of thread*

Yeah nothing like lobbing in a handgrenade, is there?

Seems like Klopp knows he's on borrowed time or he's up for a new challenge sooner rather than later.

He'd be a bit of a rollercoaster ride but he's someone who probably stick one on mourinho so Im ok with that.

Yeah I can see much stranger things than that happening myself.

Actually the timing of those comments (which let's face it are usually a thinly-veiled way of announcing interest in any jobs coming up) make me wonder if he isn't also positioning himself as City's second choice if Pellegrini gets the boot this summer, given that they would obviously try throwing money at Guardiola first.

If he does get fucked off, I can see the owners pushing to go back to a DOF system, which seems to be their preference.

Someone who has been around a bit but is getting on (Rafa may be ok in this role - wouldn't want him back as manager though - he's had his turn).

Someone younger and up and coming would fit the manager/coach bill for FSG. Maybe that English bloke that's an assistant at Real Madrid.

Can't see any manager who would be worth having wanting to work with Benitez as a DoF, talk about looking over your shoulder.  All he would have to do is lose three on the bounce and some people would be baying for Rafa.

The biggest question/issue (transfers aside) is how long do you give a manager who seemingly has no idea how to sort a defence out?

There is no excuse for Rodgers here, we were complete shit from day 1 under him and we are still complete shit, to see no improvement defensively in 2 and a half years is a huge concern, there really isn't any positive spin you can put on it.

This is why i don't agree with the opinion of sticking with him and giving him time in the sort of blind hope he'll sort it out, he hasn't shown any signs of sorting the defence out so why after all this time would anyone expect him to do it?

Just look around the league, every year there are supposedly average managers with a well drilled defence full of players who cost a pittance, it makes a total mockery out of us and the 'give him time' line.

If people want to be angry at Rodgers for going to X factor, then it's fine with me. How dare he have a life.

Rodgers is fucked, isn't he?

In isolation you wouldn't think about it twice or just take the piss a bit but it's just additional to his general image obsession these days. Add it all together and it screams mid-life crisis as soon as he hit 40 with a high profile job. I wouldn't give a fuck but he's not the same man this season, or the same manager, so if it affects us then I am bothered. You only need to look at his man management this season or demanour and touchiness at press conferences. If Rafa (or Mourinho or whoever now) fucked his wife off during his time here, got a young model on his arm, did all different things to enhance his appearance with a makeover and then started being seen at celebrity events all at the same time Liverpool were playing like total shite every week then it's fair to say he'd be getting slaughtered by all and sundry. It's just not how managers behave. I think Rodgers needs to get a grip on his ego and learn some humility. He's a boss but all the image stuff screams David Brent. 

Someone mentioned Mourinho at the tennis, as a riposte, but it's still sport. Managers and coaches do actually study other sports and pick things up from them.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't seem any different to me except now with added shit results. He was getting panned this badly in his first six months, the documentary, the envelopes, David Brent, like I say. Then he was winning all his games and he was Shankly. Now he's a cunt again. Simple, win your games.

He's always been a bit cringeworthy with the management speak and the fact the owners did him no favours with that stupid documentary. But he was a fairly humble young coach when he arrived who knew he had a lot to learn. Now he's morphed into some kind of image obsessed celebrity manager who thought he was gods gift all of a sudden with nothing left to learn because we finished 2nd last season. He no longer speaks like David Brent he just behaves like him. The idea with Rodgers was that the humble young manager would turn into a very good one. But if the humble young manager has turned into a vain, arrogant one (but not actually better) then where does he go from there? He has to get a grip. There's nobody to reign him in or help him really. He needs his Peter Taylor that Clough wasn't the same without or the type of assistants who would help Ferguson. Pascoe is just a mate with little coaching pedigree. Marsh and Achterberg much the same probably. 

All managers are judged on results though of course. But you don't get results by magic. It's good players and good management. Good transfer business. All aspects we seem to have lost. 

• Upvote 1

He doesn't seem any different to me except now with added shit results. He was getting panned this badly in his first six months, the documentary, the envelopes, David Brent, like I say. Then he was winning all his games and he was Shankly. Now he's a cunt again. Simple, win your games.

Exactly, win your games and you can do or say as you like. Have the season he is currently having then the best thing to do is keep your head down, not be seen at shows like the X factor taking photos with a big cheesy on.

Can't see any manager who would be worth having wanting to work with Benitez as a DoF, talk about looking over your shoulder.  All he would have to do is lose three on the bounce and some people would be baying for Rafa.

Unfortunately I agree but I really do think he'd be great at the job. Set the general tone and philosophy throughout the club, have an opinion on transfers, and hire a manager who he thinks can benefit from his guidance and within his own criteria.

On the downside though he seems to like to micromanage a bit to much (assuming what we've been told about him is true) so in addition to what you've mentioned there could also be the situation where if things aren't going right and the manager he has under him isn't doing things to his liking shit could get very ugly, very quickly. Besides that I think he wants to be a manager, rather than a director.

Klopp would be a fucking dream though and if FSG do get rid that's a phone call they have to make in my opinion. Forward thinking, modern manager who's reputation would proceed him which theoretically should make it easier for him to recruit players, which I think is one of Brendan's biggest obstacles. Brendan's best season came with him having arguably the best player in the world (certainly top 3) on the, as yet, best form of his career. That player left and other top players didn't quite drink the kool aid without playing with him being a selling point. Dortmund on the other hand have had top players leave and still challenged (barring this season anyway) in a league where the club at the top quite literally buys up all of the good talent, even some of his own.

If Klopp came in, how many of the current squad would he keep on?

I don't think it would be more than about 7 or 8.

We have signed so much utter shit its quite incredible.

Fucking get your shit together Liverpool.

I'd say only our strikers would be immediately jettisoned, Lambert would be sent to the Cooler. The rest of the squad is average but not atrocious, I'd still be interested to see if Lovren could be salvaged by some coaching and DM.

I just think the idea of Rafa as DoF here is impossible to even think about with a straight face. He'd probably admit himself he's a control freak, everyone who's worked with him definitely would - to both good and bad effect, of course, as he's won a lot of things no-one can ever take away.

Even still, an ambitious manager like him in such a role at the club he'll always feel he's got unfinished business with, which has previously been riven apart by power struggles and infighting, including it must be said a list as long as your arm during his tenure, and which has a long history of it being difficult to clearly aportion blame over transfer disasters, youth team politics, etc.

What could possibly go wrong!

• Upvote 1

I do like Klopp as I follow German football due to highlights on terrestrial telly and live games being shown online but its fair to say that Klopps pedigree for attracting big players isnt too high himself. Yes he has won things in Germany and reached a CL Final but hasnt bought many or any big names.

That said,he'd be a breath of fresh air as a manager here although,once again,his defensive philosophy leaves a bit to be desired.

Why do people think a DoF would be better at spotting and recruiting players then a coach/manager?

We also never seem to allow a manager a poor season. One season after almost winning the league and a high percentage of our fans wanted Benitez sacked. It was a "fact" that that one season was how if would ever be from then on with Rafa as opposed to the previous 8 seasons of FA Cup, European Cup and La Lagi wins. Now we seem to be saying the same with Rodgers. Short termist nonsense.

Maybe, just maybe, a bad season is just a bad season and we should allow a manager to try and correct it the following season. If we get rid of Rodgers this season then I'll be utterly disgusted with our club.

• Upvote 2