You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Why do people think a DoF would be better at spotting and recruiting players then a coach/manager?

We also never seem to allow a manager a poor season. One season after almost winning the league and a high percentage of our fans wanted Benitez sacked. It was a "fact" that that one season was how if would ever be from then on with Rafa as opposed to the previous 8 seasons of FA Cup, European Cup and La Lagi wins. Now we seem to be saying the same with Rodgers. Short termist nonsense.

Maybe, just maybe, a bad season is just a bad season and we should allow a manager to try and correct it the following season. If we get rid of Rodgers this season then I'll be utterly disgusted with our club.

Because hiring a good DOF would be exponentially better than Rodgers who currently combines the role with coaching to not very good effect. Also a good one will allow us to replace managers more smoothly since most good managers across the continent who would presumably be in the frame, are used to working with a DOF anyway.

Obviously it all depends on getting the setup right and hiring a competent DOF.

Mauricio Pochettino has insisted that he is happy with his players despite Tottenham Hotspur’s disappointing start to the season and admitted that it is his responsibility to give them the tools to improve.

I am happy with all players,” Tottenham’s manager said. “I have no complaint with the players. I complain with me because I need to give them more tools to play better. This is my worry.

Classy, and refreshing. Have a Pochettino, you'll feel better.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, just maybe, a bad season is just a bad season and we should allow a manager to try and correct it the following season. If we get rid of Rodgers this season then I'll be utterly disgusted with our club.

Rodgers has no record of ever having done that though and at the moment he’s not showing us anything to demonstrate that he even understands what the problem is, let alone knows the solution. 

I think FSG have to accept a fair bit of responsibility for this situation. If you bring in an inexperienced manager then institute a policy of spending at least half the transfer budget every year on players that are at least 5 years off their potential peak then periods like this are, in hindsight, hardly surprising.

• Upvote 1

The conditions at the club this season (owners, transfers, etc) and Benitez' last, aren't remotely comparable. Also, obviously, there are different levels of "bad season". If Rodgers finished 5th, two points off 4th, it would be a disappointing climb down from last season but I don't think many people would want him sacked. If we finished 14th, I think that might be different. Basically there can't possibly be a one sized fits all policy regarding "bad seasons".

2 years ago - We don't need a DOF, it all falls on the manager

Now - We need a DOF.

Make up your minds

I have always wanted a DoF personally as I simply knew Rodgers was wearing L plates as a manager,that was obvious from day one.

His strengths last season were, working with the players he had intensively and developing those players without too many distractions and few transfers. Now we have stepped up a gear,CL games every couple of weeks and the loss of our two biggest goal threats and despite spending a fortune we are hopelessly unprepared.

To be fair,I am certain some of the transfers will come good,Lallana and Can look good already,but its not the time to fill a CL and 2nd place squad with bigger rookies than their manager is.

FSG have to take some responsibility here too.

Well, sometimes you just have to throw way 220 million in the transfer market and back into the ledge of the Grand fucking Canyon.

When you hit bottom, you get up, dust yourself off and reach into your other pocket for another 220 million and start climbing up again.

Simple maths, really.

• Upvote 3

Very good Code. I'm prepared to back Rodgers, not unconditionally of course, like Jair said if we finish 14th i'd want him sacked. Below 7th would be the turning point for me, to finish behind the other top 6 is bad, but to finish behind one season wonders... then questions need to be asked. It's not an absolute rule though, finishing 8th with a FA cup win, then i'd support him etc. 

Rodgers is a very competent coach, i can't be arsed with more transition, keep the manager and coaches that made us play the most scintillating football in Europe last season, get rid of the idiots that thought Balotelli and Lambert could replace Suarez.

I have always wanted a DoF personally as I simply knew Rodgers was wearing L plates as a manager,that was obvious from day one.

His strengths last season were, working with the players he had intensively and developing those players without too many distractions and few transfers. Now we have stepped up a gear,CL games every couple of weeks and the loss of our two biggest goal threats and despite spending a fortune we are hopelessly unprepared.

To be fair,I am certain some of the transfers will come good,Lallana and Can look good already,but its not the time to fill a CL and 2nd place squad with bigger rookies than their manager is.

FSG have to take some responsibility here too.

I would have had one too.

But getting one in isnt going to solve all of our problems at once. It would also undermine the manager too in my opinion.

If we don't get top 4 i'm joining the BBB.

I think that's reasonable, nobody with a significantly better CV would come here at the moment anyway. He would be far and away the best candidate.

Rodgers has been backed, its up to him to make this work.

If not, he's on his bike.

My original "Does Rodgers Deserve Another Season" thread was started because, at the time i didn't see any evidence that he was learning from his previous mistakes.

He's still not adapting quickly enough ( 2 up front, Lovren, Johnson, Gerrard) and in the interim, has dismissed the need for help with the defence, and has signed a barrel of shyte for lots of money in to the bargain.

It's pointless getting rid of Rodgers because it won't change FSG's transfer strategy, which is the fundamental reason why we're in this mess. Constantly signing 20 year olds for 'top player' money, £20 million pound fees for players that have had one season in football, players that have never done anything in the game. Or 32+ year olds that are well past their prime for low fee's. 

If Benitez came in he'd have the likes of Berahino, Ward Prowse, Clyne etc forced upon him, it's the transfer strategy that needs to change. When we finished 2nd in the league,what we should of done is sign prime players that'd walk into the side right away, not a bunch of kid's that may or may not come good in 5 years time.

The only transfer that fits that philosophy is Lallana and he looks completely at home in this side, no coincidence there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yup. What would spare him the chop in your view?

It's not so much about the position, but if we finished below 10th that's going to get everyone's arse going.  For me, it's more about whether there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  If it's clear that by the end of the season he's got the team back on track, there is organisation and an implementable plan, the morale is good and the players are behind him, and results are backing this up, then he has to be given another season.  

If we accelerate the downward trajectory, the team still look in disarray, there are no signs of the transfers settling in and performing, and he's lost some of the players, then it would be foolish to retain him imo.