You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Been introducing someone to loads of stuff I like that they'd either never heard of or didn't really know much about.

Currently I'm playing them a lot of Zappa. In amongst the madness and weird shit a lot of people seem to miss that Zappa was hugely talented and not just some odd bod doing weird funny songs. 

Also responsible for the Ship arriving to late to save a drowning witch cover which is one of the most simplistic but brilliant album covers ever. 

• Upvote 2

Been introducing someone to loads of stuff I like that they'd either never heard of or didn't really know much about.

Currently I'm playing them a lot of Zappa. In amongst the madness and weird shit a lot of people seem to miss that Zappa was hugely talented and not just some odd bod doing weird funny songs.

Also responsible for the Ship arriving to late to save a drowning witch cover which is one of the most simplistic but brilliant album covers ever.

I love Zappa. I haven't got loads of his stuff, but he was ace.
  • Upvote 2

Get on Roxy and Elsewhere, mate.

Just been listening to it, yet more Zappa goodness. 

I love Zappa. I haven't got loads of his stuff, but he was ace.

I've around 20 albums worth now, there is just so much material it's easy to miss loads of it. 

Just been listening to it, yet more Zappa goodness.

I've around 20 albums worth now, there is just so much material it's easy to miss loads of it.

I've got The Man From Utopia, Hot Rats and another one whose name escapes me.

It's hard to pick a favourite Zappa era, he had so many great bands. I loved all the stuff when George Duke was involved though, Roxy and one size fits all being standouts.

I just started by buying whatever was cheapest in HMV so have a mixture of most eras. There are so many albums when you first start it's impossible to know what to pick.

Just been listening to this. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

• Upvote 1

Best Dutch ones with camping are Lowlands (biggest one, usually great line up ), Down The Rabbit Hole, Best Kept Secret.

http://lowlands.nl

http://downtherabbithole.nl/english

http://www.bestkeptsecret.nl/en/

Also remember that the beer is better quality and you will be all foreign and exotic to the local women.

Looks like me and my pal are going to Best kept secret. Camping tickets and (coach) travel to the place and back to the UK for £250. Prefer the downtherabbithole line-up but still plenty of bands on the bill I wanna see and the location looks ace. 

Still need to replace my passport before then and save for my spending (drug) money but shouldn't be too much of a problem 

• Upvote 2

It's hard to pick a favourite Zappa era, he had so many great bands. I loved all the stuff when George Duke was involved though, Roxy and one size fits all being standouts.

Mook knows.  George Duke was an amazing musician, and he had some stellar bands in his time too.  

• Upvote 1

Psychocandy live will be worth the ticket price alone. See Cairo Liberation Front if you can, they are bonkers. Like a Dutch version of Goldie Looking Chain but with Egyptian music. They squirted loads of vodka down my throat with a super soaker the little scamps.

Ah man are they playing Psychocandy? I went to the Manchester show last year and while it was obviously ace I was hoping to hear some of their other stuff this time around. They sound like a hoot, I'll definitely check them out barring any bad clashes. Excited for Ride, the Pop Group, Ariel Pink, Pissed Jeans, Earl and Alvvays mostly. 

Anything we should be aware of regarding drugs? I took so much MDMA at Beacons last year I'm scared to touch the stuff again. I think it was possibly mixed with something mind, because me and my mate had hallucinations and I have brain zaps for almost a week after. The zaps are fucking horrible made me wary of touching the stuff again. Hallucinating wasn't pleasant either. I might have enjoyed myself if I was expecting it but instead it was closest thing I've had to a 'bad trip' Genuinely thought there was a 6 foot purple leopard in the tent while I was trying to sleep. 

My mate had it worse mind, he thought he was at work and tried cleaning the fucking toilets at one point. He also saw his sister floating inside one of the indoor tents during Daphni. I think everyone was a little worse for ware at that point though. People of all ages with jaws swinging in ways that defied logic. Ahhh, can''t wait for more of that! Only 90 odd days to go. 

• Upvote 1

You can get pretty much anything and the quality is generally high. Take less than you normally would at first. Also do not buy white heroin being sold by some knobhead as cocaine. That tit has killed a few tourists and put more into hospital.

Also be careful in the toilets at Dutch festivals

• Upvote 2

Fair play going to a foreign festival. Driving a few hours puts me off, let alone having to look after a passport and catching a flight after.

Did a load of mdma and vodka at Glasto a few years a go and spent one whole day in my tent. That best kept secret looks well decent though. Haven't seen anything in the UK that makes me want to leave the safe haven of my living room.

Fair play going to a foreign festival. Driving a few hours puts me off, let alone having to look after a passport and catching a flight after.

Did a load of mdma and vodka at Glasto a few years a go and spent one whole day in my tent. That best kept secret looks well decent though. Haven't seen anything in the UK that makes me want to leave the safe haven of my living room.

With this one you can get a coach from various points in the UK that takes you directly there for £99. It might work out cheaper for a flight or even sorting your own travel but a lift directly there and back will do me. We're trying to find out how long we'll actually be on the coach before we book it though. It says it'll get you to the festival in time for the camping site opening at 10am and it leaves Birmingham at midnight so it shouldn't be too bad. Get a little drunk, take a valium, be there in no time. 

We spent a lot of time in the tent at the last festival we went to too. Brains were way too fried after the first day and by the third day we were skint and felt like we were attending our own funeral. My plan for any future festivals is one day on the mdma, another on some psychedelics and then on the final day just drink and valium. Loads of ganja the entire time obviously. 

Check out Field day and End of the road. They're the best two in the UK I've found. I was really wanting to go to FD, but no camping and having to spend loads of money in London put me off, it's working out cheaper to go abroad. EotR looks ace, but again super pricey. It's not until September though so providing all the tickets don't sell out we're gonna try and go to that as well. 

You can get pretty much anything and the quality is generally high. Take less than you normally would at first. Also do not buy white heroin being sold by some knobhead as cocaine. That tit has killed a few tourists and put more into hospital.

Also be careful in the toilets at Dutch festivals

There'll be no worries of that happening, I've only ever bought coke of trusted dealers because paying 50 sheets for what could be shit isn't something I have the income to be doing. Really looking forward to smoking dutch quality weed again and trying some psychedelics though 

Well in Mook. I had a George Duke musical evening last night after reading this thread too. Which meant I went to bed well after 2am. Which meant I was a little knackered and 'dehydrated' this morning. Worth it though.

Love his stuff with Billy Cobham as well, he was such a funky bastard (in the nicest possible sense).
  • Upvote 2

Justified or not?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/19/marvin-gaye-family-ti-universal-interscope-blurred-lines-copyright-infringement

Marvin Gaye's family to hold TI and record labels responsible for copyright infringement

A jury’s decision on 10 March 2015 to hand Marvin Gaye’s family approximately $7.4m in copyright damages and profits has in no way signalled the end of their battle against Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke’s 2013 hit Blurred Lines.

Now, in the wake of the trial jury’s verdict in their favour, Gaye’s children have filed an injunction to list three record labels and Blurred Lines featuring artist TI as responsible parties – and thus also hold them accountable for the ruled copyright infringement. Gaye’s family have also written and published an open letter, clarifying their motivations behind taking the copyright case to court on their father’s behalf.

In the original trial, the jury exonerated TI and the record distributors of Blurred Lines, focusing instead on the testimony of musicologists to decide whether or not the structure of Williams and Thicke’s soul-inspired pop song too closely mirrored Gaye’s 1977 single Got to Give It Up.

Now, Gaye’s family is looking to correct the original jury verdict and has listed record labels Universal Music, Interscope Records and Williams’s Star Trak Entertainment as culpable for their manufacture and distribution of the song.

They have filed two separate motions: one to add TI and the labels to the list of copyright rule-breakers, and another to halt the sale and reproduction of Blurred Lines until both parties reach an agreement on how the Gayes “may share in the copyright and all future proceeds of Blurred Lines, as is their right”.

According to their open letter, Gaye’s children hope “to set the record straight on a few misconceptions echoing through some news and social media platforms about our intentions, our plans, and the so-called ‘larger’ ramifications of this case within the music industry”.

The letter confirms previous reports that though Marvin’s daughter Nona hears similarities between Williams’s single Happy and Gaye’s 1965 song Ain’t That Peculiar, the Gayes are not planning to file a copyright case about the two tracks. In addition, they detail their thoughts on the fine line between inspiration and imitation in music.

It remains to be seen whether Williams, Thicke and TI’s lawyer, Howard King, will file an appeal to counter the Gaye’s family’s injunctions. Given the contents of King’s open letter about the case, published online by the Hollywood Reporter on 12 March 2015, the post-trial complications may only just be starting.

“We now head into the later innings of the contest,” he wrote, after the trial had ended. “While the Gayes are to be congratulated on obtaining a jury verdict, this matter is not finished by any stretch of the imagination.”