You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

I've already mentioned Paul Rodgers in this thread. 

Not only a superb vocalist but the reason I actually bothered my arse to listen to The Temptations as I heard an interview with him in which he raved about how much they inspired him.

The Temptations are fucking boss!

Nice to hear a rock icon acknowledging his black musical roots.

BBC Four is a hidden gem for music documentaries and live stuff.

Just watched a doc about the Bee Gees, now watching Bee Gees Live at the BBC.

Is it wrong to have a bit of a soft spot for the Brother's Gibb, and actually like some of their stuff?

just got in and caught the end of that. Pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone ever discredits the Beatles I just assume they're 14 years old and 'edgy' or something. I can go forever without listening to a Beatles song but I'll usually have a couple of weeks per year where I'll get right back into them again and hammer them. They're the early Simpsons episodes of music. 

My mate just messaged me to tell me he's got us tickets to see the Fat White Family and Slaves (plus two others I'm not as familar with) goggled it and its only an NME event that kids can attend if they're with an adult. Good grief. I missed FWF at Beacons and again when they played near me so I wanna go, but ugh.. there better be some sexy, horny, drunk 17 year olds there or I dunno if I'll bother. 

• Upvote 1

I like their songs but I was bored by The Beatles 30 years ago, never mind now. How anyone can repeatedly listen to them throughout their life bewilders me.

I don't know how anyone can with any band to be honest. Can't see how anyone can knock the Beatles though, I'm no great fan of Elvis for instance, but you can't deny how influential he was and how important he was musically. It would be like saying the old blue men are irrelevant. 

I tend to go though cycles, I'll listen to a band a lot for a while and then something else piques my interest for a while and I change tack. I go back to bands but I don't really do just listening to the same stuff constantly. 

Love finding new stuff to listen to whether it be a new band/artist or someone from years ago I had never heard of or never appreciated.

Really listening to loads of old soul and stuff, even with songs I don't really get the talent some of them have is incredible. 

Anyway on the reason I came onto the thread tonight, on the radio last night when I was on the way home last night, wrong time of year for it and it ends up massively overplayed but it's still just a brilliant piece of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the documentary on Elton John's early career on BBC4 last night, really enjoyed it.

Border Song is a fucking great song, love Aretha Franklin's cover of it as well.

I'll catch that on iplayer.  EJ's output up until the late 70s was brilliant.  Bit like Bowie, though Bowie was obviously more so and his latest album was superb.  

I'll catch that on iplayer.  EJ's output up until the late 70s was brilliant.  Bit like Bowie, though Bowie was obviously more so and his latest album was superb.  

I've got all the 70s Bowie stuff up to Low (which I can't properly get into), he was like a one man Beatles in songwriting terms for nearly 10 years.

My favourite LP is David Live from the '74 tour, his voice was out of this World when he was out his tits.

• Upvote 1

The missus is out so I've got Herbie Hancock on, Thrust.

Funkier than a mosquitos tweeta.

Check out Flying Lotus on the iPlayer. He's doing the Radio 1 residency this year and has Herbie Hancock on this week as his guest.

• Upvote 1