You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First choice right back

Pureblood

?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

I actually think Johnson. Yes he has been shit for a long time. However, when he came on at the weekend, he brought an assurance that's been missing for a little while. If he's going to be motivated to play at that level, then may as well get the use out of him while he's here.

Still can't believe we didn't sign a first choice right back in the summer.  And no I'm not having that a kid with less than ten first team games came in on loan to be first choice, no matter how well he's done.  

That lazy fuck Johnson will probably stroll back into the first team cause of the shambles of a summer window.

• Upvote 2

I voted for Manquillo on the basis that he is young , strong and looks like a good player in the making, Johnson is way past his best and Flanno gives you bags of effort and commitment but not sure he has quite the potential as the new lad. Truth is if Johnson was playing well you could make a case for any of them.

None are good enough at the moment, flanno and manquillo are not good enough in the final third and Johnson has been out of form for a while and is just back from injury.

Glen would be my choice to start out of the three and I think he will after the international break but I would be looking to get someone like clyne in.

Some right wankers on this thread. 

Flanagan is fine with Manquillo as back-up and Johnson robbing bog seats down the swan. 

Flanagan played a massive part in our unbeaten run last season and only when Johnson came back did we start fucking losing and dropping silly cunting points because of that pigeon chested lazy bastard. He cost us the title the fucking gimp. 

Flanagan almost won us the title which is more than can be said for anyone since Ian Rush so on that basis, Flanagan is our best player for the last 23 years so fuck you, fuck them and fuck anybody who has a problem with Mike Lowrey. 

• Upvote 1

We have left ourselves threadbare at right back.  I wouldn't think that any of them would get a start with City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Everton.

I like that a young Liverpool lad played well for us but Flanagan is pretty poor defensively & Manquillo seems to be hitting the wall at present. Johnson is probably the best bet at present which says it all.

I think it's probably Flanagan, but as is always the case in situations like this, he is being built up far too much. He's good. He could be very good. But he's still liable to giving away those woeful Lucas type dumb frees in dangerous places. Once a player gets past him he has an awful habit of grabbing out at them. But for a young lad he's also very good at reading the game. That's going to get better and when it does the daft frees should disappear.

I've said it before, but I think the negative view of Johnson is exaggerated. Similar to the people who say Balotelli is lazy after every game no matter what he does, I think Johnson gets blamed for for things that don't actually happen. He can be very good for 89 minutes but if he lets one guy get behind him then all of a sudden he was shite for the whole game and the reason we lost the 1977 FA Cup Final.

• Upvote 3

Johnson's shitness isn't limited to just defensive lapses. Its the amount of times he loses the ball by either passing it to absolutely fucking no-one, or when he just runs straight into a defender. 

He lacks a bit of the explosive pace he used to have. He knows this, and it impacts his confidence in getting past opponents. It used to mask the fact he's quite a dim footballer. He'd just knock it past someone and run on to it, he can't do that any more, and therefore he's forced to make slightly more complicated decisions. Something he isn't very good at.

None of the three are probably good enough at the moment.

Manquillo looks like he has more potential than Flanagan so my vote goes to him. I also think he's at least as good as Flanagan already. And if Flanagan makes me eat my words I'll be happy to. Absolutely love his attitude, and admire the way he fought his way from barely a fringe player into the first team last season.

Still can't believe we didn't sign a first choice right back in the summer. And no I'm not having that a kid with less than ten first team games came in on loan to be first choice, no matter how well he's done.

That lazy fuck Johnson will probably stroll back into the first team cause of the shambles of a summer window.

It's because Johnson is here for another season. Wouldn't be surprised if we get one next summer, unless the other two both come on a lot

Never been massively convinced with Flanagan, although he's put some immense performances in at left back.  Manquillo, like anyone his age, needs resting - both for his physical and mental benefit.  Johnson, in theory, should walk back in.  He's experienced, still got pace, and has excellent technique.  We all know why this isn't a foregone conclusion though; he's been shoddy, lazy, lacking concentration, seemingly lacking in commitment and effort - overall pretty shit. 

Will he get his together this season?  Knowing there are one or two ready to come in and fuck you down the pecking order might be the chivvy up he needs.  I hope so.  

No no no no no

No no no no no

No no no no no

This is why we are so shit. Carrying on with players who have proven they cant do it. Lucas and Johnson shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 unless we are desperate.

Fuck sake