You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City Vs Liverpool (August 25th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

It'll suit us more.

We'll be "up for it" since it's a big team. City will come on to us, which should help us with space in behind them. They also won't have a hacker in midfield kicking lumps out of us.

I'd be happy with a draw, but I'm actually fairly confident of getting a victory.

I love that football is back!

This will be one of City's most difficult tests of the season. 

Whilst a loss to a rival will probably come for both teams at some point, a win will lay down an early marker and boost confidence massively.

I suspect it might be an edgy defensive game which is alien to both teams. Both teams are better in attack than they are defending, but somehow I think the fear of losing will show.

I think Liverpool might just take all three points.

I think these are the games where we'll really miss Suarez because he provided the fear factor. I don't think we have that now when it comes to sides like these, we can still beat them though, but tunnel psychology will be markedly different.

I suppose at some point in the past, other teams MUST have laid out plans to deal with Suarez, then considered the rest of Liverpool after him.

Now they'll be looking at how to contain SnS, but it's one less fear factor.

Still, City are very used to a high line, as 90% of the time at home they are trying to break down 10 men behind the ball. They are wide open to a rapid counter. Fortunately not many teams can execute it well enough, but Liverpool can.

I think Liverpool will definitely score. It's keeping City out that's the bigger issue.

Whilst a loss to a rival will probably come for both teams at some point, a win will lay down an early marker and boost confidence massively.

I suspect it might be an edgy defensive game which is alien to both teams. Both teams are better in attack than they are defending, but somehow I think the fear of losing will show.

Did you say the same over on Blue Moon?

Aguero will start this one. I suspect Mangala will too, although Pellegrini might want to stick with Demechelis, which would suit us better due to our pace up top.

The battle is in the middle. Fernando and Fernandinho will eat Lucas and Gerrard for a mid morning snack. We need legs and a war face in there. Has to be Can or Allen. We play Lucas and we'll lose. I like the lad, but if we think wanyama and Sneiderlin gave us problems - we are about to go full bed shitting time. Playing Moreno could go either way, personally I wouldn't throw him in for this.

I won't lie, I'm worried. But the thing with Brendan is he gets the lads fully juiced for games like this so hopefully what the media might predict will be a backs to the wall job for us, might play into our hands on the counter.

I'll be in a bar in Ibiza watching this, I apologise in advance about my fruitful language about Glen Johnson if you happen to be there too.

I'd take the usual 2-2 draw.

• Upvote 1

I hope Brendan is more tactical about these kind of fixtures this season, it's all well and good going out to win every single fixture by playing attacking free flowing football, but a bit of pragmatism is needed every now and again.

This is the kind of fixture were you play for the draw, keep it tight, maybe even 10 men behind the ball, Ged style, trying to stifle the play. Envisage it like a cat and mouse game, we are the mouse in this scenario. The mouse is better off hiding in it's hole until the cat goes away, rather than prancing around the cat in a spanish conquistadors outfit inviting him to attack.

I hope Brendan is more tactical about these kind of fixtures this season, it's all well and good going out to win every single fixture by playing attacking free flowing football, but a bit of pragmatism is needed every now and again.

This is the kind of fixture were you play for the draw, keep it tight, maybe even 10 men behind the ball, Ged style, trying to stifle the play. Envisage it like a cat and mouse game, we are the mouse in this scenario. The mouse is better off hiding in it's hole until the cat goes away, rather than prancing around the cat in a spanish conquistadors outfit inviting him to attack.

I think last year we looked more vulnerable keeping it tight than we do going all guns blazing, that almost worked for us too.

No you don't, don't pander to the crowd, you're a city fan at least nail you colours to the mast.

Absolutely no fear of city, we generally outplay them after every man and his dog through out the week prior. tells of how gerrard and co. will be completely overrun by yaya and some other generic Brazilian defensive midfielder. We'll pick up at least a point and sturridge has a knack of coming back to haunt former clubs.

Need a big performance from Sturridge. He's not punished either of his old clubs yet.. that I can remember anyway.

Scored a cracker against city in the ethihad in 2013 and equalised and put in one of the best sub performances I've ever seem when playing Chelsea at home before suarez decided to have a chunk of ivanovic.