You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a few baby related TV shows with the Mrs the other day - one born every minute and some American one I forget the name of.

Fuck me, not sure if it's my age or my expectant father status or both, but I have turned as soft as shit, we were both in tears regularly watching it. I can't imagine the emotional bit will increase in any way when the child is around would it?

• Upvote 1

Watched a few baby related TV shows with the Mrs the other day - one born every minute and some American one I forget the name of.

Fuck me, not sure if it's my age or my expectant father status or both, but I have turned as soft as shit, we were both in tears regularly watching it. I can't imagine the emotional bit will increase in any way when the child is around would it?

It's a cliche but being a father changes the way you see the world. And that does include becoming a soft, sentimental idiot. My advice is to stay away from any TV that is too happy or too sad - stick to comedy and you should be ok

• 4 weeks later...

After all the hassle we've had with ToddleD's new school nursery (have a rant thread for reference) the big day was today.  Put her Uniform on, we both went to drop her off.  She walked in.  Found her name on the wall, put it in the letter box which is the their registration and just fucked off.  Didn't even look back!!!  

• Upvote 2

Mate, wait til they're born.  I've cried more in the past 3 years then I had in the previous 15 I reckon. Cry with happiness, cry with sadness, cry because of the sheer emotional connection you have with your kid.  My missus used to joke that I didn't have "feelings" I just had "a feeling" and that's well and truly gone out the window since becoming a dad. 

• Upvote 1

Mate, wait til they're born.  I've cried more in the past 3 years then I had in the previous 15 I reckon. Cry with happiness, cry with sadness, cry because of the sheer emotional connection you have with your kid.  My missus used to joke that I didn't have "feelings" I just had "a feeling" and that's well and truly gone out the window since becoming a dad.

Oh, becoming a father fucks with you, that's for sure. You're in for a world of caring that you really don't want. The worry... oy, the worry.

• Upvote 1

After all the hassle we've had with ToddleD's new school nursery (have a rant thread for reference) the big day was today.  Put her Uniform on, we both went to drop her off.  She walked in.  Found her name on the wall, put it in the letter box which is the their registration and just fucked off.  Didn't even look back!!!

And how about you both?

That is one securely attached child. You've played a blinder there

This thread is just about keeping me sane. Less than a week away from the due date and I still have no idea what to expect (during or afterwards). I just keep trying to convince myself things won't change 'that much' but failing miserably.

Everything will change, Sir/Madam. Welcome to the ride of your life!

I feel I should defend expectant parents here in a way, plenty of worries and scares during pregnancy too.

My poor wife seems to have been pregnant forever, yet our little girl isn't due until December. Huge respect to the women going through pregnancy.

She goes on maternity leave on my birthday and I'm looking forward to her leave more than my day.

This thread is just about keeping me sane.  Less than a week away from the due date and I still have no idea what to expect (during or afterwards).  I just keep trying to convince myself things won't change 'that much' but failing miserably.

You'll be fine.

Having kids improves your life in an infinite amount of ways.

Its hardwork, no doubt about it, and you'll wonder what you did with your time before you had kids- but its truly amazing- apologies if coming across a bit soppy!    

You'll be fine.

Having kids improves your life in an infinite amount of ways.

Its hardwork, no doubt about it, and you'll wonder what you did with your time before you had kids- but its truly amazing- apologies if coming across a bit soppy!    

One of my missus aunts turned round to me at my Son's first Birthday party & said, 'I bet you can't remember what it was like before he was born now.'

"Yes I can, I had money & was out getting pished all the time & having a laugh."

• Upvote 1

My first (almost 4) is having to wear an eye patch on his good eye to strengthen the sight in his bad eye (Coats Disease) for six hours a day now. It's brutal having to have him walk around mostly blind but he's getting by. The Doctors have said his improvement this last six weeks is drastic which is good news but I was half hoping there was little progress so we could just sack it off and let him run around happily with perfect sight in one eye again.

I'm being left with both him and my eight month old while their mum goes to Barbados for ten days on Friday.

My first (almost 4) is having to wear an eye patch on his good eye to strengthen the sight in his bad eye (Coats Disease) for six hours a day now. It's brutal having to have him walk around mostly blind but he's getting by. The Doctors have said his improvement this last six weeks is drastic which is good news but I was half hoping there was little progress so we could just sack it off and let him run around happily with perfect sight in one eye again.

I'm being left with both him and my eight month old while their mum goes to Barbados for ten days on Friday.

This cannot be tolerated.,.........! 

Mr Coats had the once in a lifetime opportunity to call it Pirate's Disease and make children happy, but the egotistical bastard just couldn't do it