You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agger: Rodgers doesn't think I'm good enough

tlw content

It might be simplistic but to my mind the biggest issue is no Carra. 

We lack a leader at the back to hold the line and get them from defending too deep under pressure

Whilst I agree regarding a leader, until the keeper starts claiming crosses and balls lumped into the box then that will determine how deep the defenders have to defend. We can't just give opponent's free headers from 5-8 yards out.

Get Mignolet in the gym after the World Cup, and get someone to help him with his confidence. I want to see him smashing into forwards 10-12 yards out. He can be the leader the defence needs, he sees more of the game than anyone else.

It was his first season, it's not easy, especially in a key position whilst relatively young. I expect to see improvements next year, and think he'll grow into the role.

Deffo deserves a second season as he has shown more than enough quality in other areas of his keeping.

It might be simplistic but to my mind the biggest issue is no Carra. 

We lack a leader at the back to hold the line and get them from defending too deep under pressure

Carragher was one of the reasons we were defending too deep (towards the end of his career).

• Upvote 3

The whole defensive issue is broader than just one player, whether it's the goalkeeper, Agger, or whoever. We play a different style of football to the Benitez days, where we would often play with two fairly regimented lines of players across the pitch, and usually fewer ahead of the ball. As a consequence, we would be in a position to have two lines across the park to defend, and the midfield close to the back line. These days, the midfield is closer to the front line than the back. If we do not retrieve the ball quickly, we are often exposed between the MF and the back line. This is exacerbated by the fact that we play our full backs further forward.

Our defence is more exposed than before, as we ask our midfield to take a much more active role in attacking and pressing the opposition high up the pitch. As we have seen countless times, with countless teams, it is possible for some very average players to defend very effectively as a unit providing they are well drilled and given adequate protection. That usually means compromises in other areas of the pitch. Houllier and Benitez took this approach more often than not. Rodgers doesn't. If we can find the calibre of defender that can play in his more exposed defence, then that will be perfect.

We are more attacking now, but I don't think we are defensively naive or get caught out on the counter attack often or leave loads of space for the opposition to exploit.

Most of the errors are basic mistakes - not winning headers, not tracking players, passing the opposition, basics.

Whilst I agree regarding a leader, until the keeper starts claiming crosses and balls lumped into the box then that will determine how deep the defenders have to defend. We can't just give opponent's free headers from 5-8 yards out.

Get Mignolet in the gym after the World Cup, and get someone to help him with his confidence. I want to see him smashing into forwards 10-12 yards out. He can be the leader the defence needs, he sees more of the game than anyone else.

It was his first season, it's not easy, especially in a key position whilst relatively young. I expect to see improvements next year, and think he'll grow into the role.

Deffo deserves a second season as he has shown more than enough quality in other areas of his keeping.

I think we've had this conversation before. Share your doubts on Mig but agree we have to give him a second season . Better back up to give him competition was the conclusion last time I think. Essential we get an upgrade on Jones . I would snap Schwarzer up in a flash if Courtois's return meant he was available.  

My worry with this is maybe it's not something that's easy to acquire.  More that it comes naturally to goalkeepers who are good at it?

He needs to man up on corners, but his flying punch on Vidic was great to see at old toilet.

• 3 months later...

all the best to Danny, can't help but think its a waste of talent as I think if it wasn't for the injuries and us being a shambles for a good few years of his time here he would've been among the best defenders in the world now, he also surely has far more to offer than the Danish league but he has always seemed to care greatly about both us and Brondby so fair play if he'd rather play somewhere he is happy

fee is on the low side, imagine we'd have asked for more if it wasn't a return home for sentimental reasons

Sell Agger but keep Toure? Madness. Agger was and still is a class act and I haven't seen anything from Lovren, Sakho or Skrtel that remotely make me think they're any better.

He's only 29 so I have no idea why he's gone to Brondby unless he just wants to go home now. He could still play at the very top in any league in Europe.

But good luck to the lad, a top guy.