You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spite

Section_31

Seen a lot of hate from Arsenal fans recently too. Like literally concentrating on us not winning the league instead of concentrating on the fact that their own side is going to win a trophy for the first time in a decade in about 3 weeks.

Id rather they won it than City or Chelsea but I sense a lot of jealously because Rodgers has nearly managed to do what Wenger hasnt for the past 11 years and that is find out a way to beat the oilgarchs. It's mental. It should give them hope that they can do it. 

That is the way Id be looking at it to be honest.

• Upvote 1

I could do this. His wife isn't likely to chop his penis off or anything crazy like that is she? I don't want to be an accomplice to a crime, however amusing it might be.

Do it. Start a thread on it and evidence the downfall.

Any cunt who spouts shit like that deserves everything they get.

You have my backing.

• Upvote 1

Seen a lot of hate from Arsenal fans recently too. Like literally concentrating on us not winning the league instead of concentrating on the fact that their own side is going to win a trophy for the first time in a decade in about 3 weeks.

Id rather they won it than City or Chelsea but I sense a lot of jealously because Rodgers has nearly managed to do what Wenger hasnt for the past 11 years and that is find out a way to beat the oilgarchs. It's mental. It should give them hope that they can do it. 

That is the way Id be looking at it to be honest.

Exactly. When we were well out of things and it looked like it was City, Chelsea or Arsenal, I was rooting for the Gunners all the way. Now had it been City, Chelsea or Man Utd, I'd have swallowed my scruples and rooted for the oil barons. I'd expect Arsenal fans to think the same if it were City, Chelsea or Spurs - stop laughing, this is a thought experiment! But for Arsenal fans to be hoping that City or Chelsea win in a battle with us . . . that's fucked up, and you'd hope that in the cold light of day they'd realise that.

As ever, depends who you're asking...

United fans don't like you, and the last thing they want is you catching them up on the titles front. City are still very much the lesser of two evils in their eyes.

Everton are just your neighbourly rivals. It's rare for rivals to want you to win unless it does them a favour too.

Arsenal are probably annoyed it's not them, and probably should be (I say that in terms of them being expected to steadily improve each year, and they don't). Arsenal thought they'd be the example of a great manager doing things without spending. For Liverpool to manage it probably irks many of them.

Then there's the biggest issue of all with Liverpool, which of course, few on hear will enjoy reading, but it's the standout issue (just as City's money is, or Ferguson's influence off the pitch is).... it's the 'where it belongs' / 'deserve it the most' comments from some Liverpool fans. That just winds up most other fans. Liverpool will deserve it based on the best set of results over 38 games, not their history, or the sentimentality of Hillsborough etc. 

Nobody can deny Liverpool's fantastic history. Nobody can deny they've had some fantastic players and managers, but (to the outside world) that's in the past. You'll win it based on now, not then.

It's always going to be nigh on impossible for Liverpool, or United for that matter to refrain from harking back to great histories. Any other set of fans would do the same if they had it, but, when other fans don't have it, they just get fed up of hearing about the past. I honestly think that's what causes a lot of spite.

Don't shoot the messenger! It's just my opinion based on what I often hear from the anti-Liverpool mob, and to some extent things that have wound me up too. 

• Upvote 2

As ever, depends who you're asking...

United fans don't like you, and the last thing they want is you catching them up on the titles front. City are still very much the lesser of two evils in their eyes.

Everton are just your neighbourly rivals. It's rare for rivals to want you to win unless it does them a favour too.

Arsenal are probably annoyed it's not them, and probably should be (I say that in terms of them being expected to steadily improve each year, and they don't). Arsenal thought they'd be the example of a great manager doing things without spending. For Liverpool to manage it probably irks many of them.

Then there's the biggest issue of all with Liverpool, which of course, few on hear will enjoy reading, but it's the standout issue (just as City's money is, or Ferguson's influence off the pitch is).... it's the 'where it belongs' / 'deserve it the most' comments from some Liverpool fans. That just winds up most other fans. Liverpool will deserve it based on the best set of results over 38 games, not their history, or the sentimentality of Hillsborough etc. 

Nobody can deny Liverpool's fantastic history. Nobody can deny they've had some fantastic players and managers, but (to the outside world) that's in the past. You'll win it based on now, not then.

It's always going to be nigh on impossible for Liverpool, or United for that matter to refrain from harking back to great histories. Any other set of fans would do the same if they had it, but, when other fans don't have it, they just get fed up of hearing about the past. I honestly think that's what causes a lot of spite.

Don't shoot the messenger! It's just my opinion based on what I often hear from the anti-Liverpool mob, and to some extent things that have wound me up too. 

You're probably right to be fair.  A coule of mates on the facebook malarky have gone all mental on me over the last couple of months, real ranting antil LFC stuff.  One in particular has become this 'anyone but Liverpool' type since it became clear we were in with a realistic chance.  He hates Chelsea and City, calls em mercenaries, but will happily support either when up against Liverpool. 

I put it down to the fact their formative years at school were during the late 70's & 80's and therefore they've suffered trauma from the yrs when Liverpool dominated.  Obviously scars still run deep.  A title triumph would open old festering wounds in some people. 

I would love for them to have to deal with it.

Personally, I find most neutrals want us to win. In fact, alot of people want us to win because we have a young manager and a brilliant young team (a strong English core).

The Mancs hate us, but alot of them are uneasy at the thought of us becoming competitive again, especially when their own future is quite uncertain. We can't really have a go at them when most of us spent the last 20 years cheering on Newcastle, Leeds, Blackburn etc.

With Everton fans, I do think it depends on the age of their supporter. The ones my age have a "Scouse against the world" mentality. i used to enjoy them winning when we couldn't and for most of their fans that was reciprocated. Nowadays, the friendly derby isn't as friendly and whether we like it or not, we have more than a few knobheads of out own. A few of my Everton mates were texting me yesterday saying that they would do City for us and I genuinely believe that they meant it. Their sons would be alot more in the City camp I reckon.

Chelsea fans are the lowest of the low. i won't comment on them.

• Upvote 1

Having written the above it has just dawned on me that I actually hated Watford for many years after that game. The whole of Watford in the collective sense - anything to do with them and even anything that looked like a fucking Hornet.

Then they sold us John Barnes and within a year I had absolved them of all blame and let it rest solely at the door of Barry Endean.

Fickle football supporters.....

Exactly. When we were well out of things and it looked like it was City, Chelsea or Arsenal, I was rooting for the Gunners all the way. Now had it been City, Chelsea or Man Utd, I'd have swallowed my scruples and rooted for the oil barons. I'd expect Arsenal fans to think the same if it were City, Chelsea or Spurs - stop laughing, this is a thought experiment! But for Arsenal fans to be hoping that City or Chelsea win in a battle with us . . . that's fucked up, and you'd hope that in the cold light of day they'd realise that.

Same here, I was rooting for Arsenal too...until I realised the full breadth of the hostility towards us by Arsenal fans.

They'd rather Chelsea win. That tells you what a bunch of idiots they are. Fuck them, they are just jealous and can't stomach the fact we're in this title fight against teams they can't compete with despite their fancy stadium, massive wage bill and bigger income.

• Upvote 1

Having written the above it has just dawned on me that I actually hated Watford for many years after that game. The whole of Watford in the collective sense - anything to do with them and even anything that looked like a fucking Hornet.

Then they sold us John Barnes and within a year I had absolved them of all blame and let it rest solely at the door of Barry Endean.

Fickle football supporters.....

As someone noted on the F365 mailbag, Sunderland have been duly forgiven for the beach ball.

A lot of it is 'in the moment' too.

In recent weeks, most of the press has been harping on about Liverpool winning it, so rival fans like the see the smile wiped off your face. That would be equally true of anybody else too.

Whichever clubs 'thinks' they are going to win it... a lot of other fans want to see fall flat on their faces and the underdog win... even if that 'underdog' is City or Chelsea at that moment in time.

The number of times fans say "it would be so funny if Arsenal don't win the cup'... or 'if it all goes tits up for Moyes' etc. It's almost built into us to find pleasure in the favourite not winning.

A couple of years ago, there was a reasonably decent feeling towards City, lottery win aside, many fans said "wouldn't mind City winning, they've suffered enough' etc. But that was then. The moment you DO win something, the mood changes, and they want to see you fail.

Already, fans can't wait for this season to be a one hit wonder for Liverpool, and for Suarez to bugger off. Just like they can't wait for United to still be crap under Giggs, or Wenger to lose the cup final, or City for slip up etc etc.

It's just par for the course isn't it? We're a quite sadistic bunch when all is said and done.

Really don't see where all this 'press want us to win it' stuff has come from, not that I've read anywhere. At best some seem to like Rodgers because he's not johnny foreigner and Gerrard because he's England captain, that's about where it starts and ends.

I reckon most neutrals want us to win

The bitter minority are shouting loudly because we lost. Don't think there is too much to get wound up about. We've dished out our fair share of venom in the direction of most our rivals and I fully intend to continue to do so

Oh and have I mentioned that Mourinho is a massive cunt

• Upvote 1

I'll admit that I have thoroughly enjoyed what David Moyes has done to Man United, mainly because of the confusion it has caused for so many Mancs, as their gut instinct was to back the manager at all times, yet they were watching the most turgid shit on a stick football they had ever seen!

Gary Neville has been a great example of this!

I disagree about neutrals not wanting us to do well  though. Most of my neutral mates have behind Liverpool this season and slated that massive hypocrite Mourinho for his continued brand of '19th century' football. 

For me our rise coinciding with United's fall has just made the season even better.

Most fans now love someone to hate. Been up and down the country and you can always see those car stickers of some fan with his keks down pissing on a rival shirt.

I actually hated the Mancs more when they were winning fuck all because the media would wank over the slightest thing they would do. Their first premier league title was difficult to take as we were crap and almost seemed to move out of the way for them. I bought a Juventus top once from some footy shop in the Albert Dock and the owner was a Man City fan, he gave me a Bayern Munich flag to put up in my window when they were playing them in 1999. Thankfully I just couldn't bring myself to put it up in my window as it just felt so small time and Evertonian-esque. Getting beat by the Mancs hurt because we would always get fucked in the last minute or just ride out a wave of attacks and pick us off. Yesterday felt a bit like it did getting beat by the Mancs in the 90's.

I've never really been that arsed about Everton as a club but their fans are really bitter and are completely and utterly obsessed with us. A lot seem to think that the more you hate Liverpool it makes you more of a hardcore Evertonian. I just can never take their fans serious as their whole existence seems to revolve around hating us and gaining joy from our failures.

Never been that arsed about any of the London clubs. Most Arsenal fans I've met are middle class Nick Hornby types who are quite inoffensive, never had much contact with Spurs fans apart from two I met on holiday who were sound and could talk about football in a sensible manner.

I just don't get the hatred off Chelsea though. They really seem to detest us yet they were fuck all until about 1998 when they started winning a few cups prior to winning the lottery. They were in and out of the second division and had some shite players. Now all of a sudden they seem to hate us and go on about Hillsborough and Heysel like they were relevant back then. Is it because the only people who will have a scrap with them are Millwall fans who they are hardly likely to play that often?

Most other teams don't bother me. Love the irony of Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Shnderland fans singing "in your Liverpool slums" and "sign on". When their cities are hardly full employment Utopias with beachfront property that rivals Malibu.

Evertonian in work said they played Birmingham a few seasons ago and the Birmingham fans shouted "sign on". The Evertonians responded with "you all work for Pakis" and they shut up.

I think a lot of the hatred stems from us being an easy target. For the Mancs they see us as easy to wind up as we were once great and they think that our fans have a sense of entitlement and laugh at us when we fuck up.

A lot of fans from around the country still see us as stereotyped Scousers still whingeing about Hillsborough. Some will never believe the Taylor Report and want to believe the Sun or just don't understand why we are still annoyed over it.

liverpool and united just hate each other. theres a kind of civil tolerance but as soon as one is down the other is sticking the boot in.

talking to an older united fan today going on about how much he hated us because we wouldnt give them any credit for the last 20 years. obviously those 26 years they went without a league are still very painful for him

personally I d just enjoy the success without worrying what any other team thought. its nice to have the bragging rights of course and a few times this week I ve been annoyed by united fans but I ve come to the conclusion we re both very similar. everton city even chelsea we d rather see win than liverpool or united.

What's interesting is the hatred between Liverpool and Spurs fans, that escalated quickly in the last couple of years. I've never had anything against Spurs, but over the last few years they've taken great pleasure in our demise, and the prospect of stealing our transfer targets.

Also has anyone noticed that Man city fans have become much more venomous this season? that's surprising, yet strangely foreseeable seeing as we're competing with them neck and neck for the title, but i always thought it was a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", now it seems to have morphed into a Manchester vs Liverpool hatred, strange.

• Upvote 1

Also has anyone noticed that Man city fans have become much more venomous this season? that's surprising, yet strangely foreseeable seeing as we're competing with them neck and neck for the title, but i always thought it was a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", now it seems to have morphed into a Manchester vs Liverpool hatred, strange.

I both live and work in Manchester and to be honest I dont get much of a hatred vibe from City fans, there is the inevitable element of scouse hate that doesnt necessarily come out of football rivalry but by and large i find the City fans a generally sound bunch when it comes to the football, most seem to know theyve won the lottery with the sheik and his riches and seem grateful for it, and to be fair I dont have any real issue with them. A good example is that you are unlikely to ever hear a Hillsborough chant/dig from a city fan whereas its commonplace with the other lot as we well know.

I suppose it comes down to how much you encounter them and in what kind of scenarios but by and large I dont have an issue with City fans, to me they have no more gobshites following them than we do.

Living north of the border I avoid all the day to day inner city rivalry. I do not hate Everton as a childhood memory of mine was the red fans mixed with blue at Wembley was surreal considering living with the hate and bile of Celtic + Rangers.

People in Scotland do focus on the EPL, as the SPL is in a shocking state and Id say folk up here do want Liverpool to win it.

When Blackburn won it with the money it was applauded due to the nature; longtime fan puts money in, adored manager in charge, English striker banging goals in. Chelsea and City owners ruin this game, they can fuck off, that is why neutrals, if there is such a thing would want a different winner. I know City fans and they are decent, level headed people. I respect United as they are a massive club and our rival. But Chelsea, fucking chelsea, I would love to see them "do a Leeds".