You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Sunderland

Vertonghens quotes today about Suarez being the only reason we are ahead of spurs need to be reminded to the players before kick off against spurs, one game at a time though I know.

This. Not that we'll need motivating but we have a midweek game they don't. This reminder might just be what they need to forget about any tiredeness on sunday.

How long will Gerrards ban be for? If it's just one game then take it now. Get him booked in the next match and have him sit out Spurs. If it's 2 matches then he definitely needs to take it now. We'll need him for City.

Just 1 game

If a player has already been suspended for picking up 5 bookings before the cut off date and they then get a ban for 10 bookings it's a 2 game ban.

Just 1 game

If a player has already been suspended for picking up 5 bookings before the cut off date and they then get a ban for 10 bookings it's a 2 game ban.

If that's right, we should bench him for Sunderland, play him against Spurs and if he gets booked that game, he sits out West Ham, back for City.

• Upvote 1

Get in there early,  get a proper buzz going on.

'SpionKop1906, responsible for some of the iconic banners on the Kop lately, are calling on fans to bring their flags on Wednesday to greet the Liverpool team bus on it’s arrival at the ground – meeting on Anfield Road from 6pm. Fans on social media are encouraging each other to get inside Anfield early on Wednesday and create a big noise before kick-off.'

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/03/brendan-rodgers-wants-anfield-buzzing-liverpool-play-sunderland/

You can get Liverpool to win by 4 or more goals for 2.4/1, now that is fucking ridiculous, it's the same odds as man utd winning at home

7-0 at 50/1 is tempting though!

80s on BV. 175/1 for 8-0. Having a couple of quid on each. Probably same on 7-1 (110/1) and 8-1 (200/1).

Us -3 (win by at least 4 goals) is 14/5. Which looks fucking enormous value. They'll get absolutely pasted.

I'm edging towards it being one of those tense nervy affairs where we play shit and scrape a 2-1 win after the tlw patrons have declared every liverpool player shit at half time.

Half time?..

There's a more than a good chance that half the team will be shite and need hooking off within the first 15 minutes, three players should definately be sold in the summer, and one should never wear the shirt again.

Then when were four goals ahead, there'll be a told ya so outpouring

Is anybody getting to that stage where they're starting to think about football a lot more than they did, checking fixtures, doing mathematical gymnastics etc, watching videos of 2005, thinking anything is possible, basically starting to get consumed with football? 

Once the final whistle goes on our games, I just can't wait to watch us play again. 

And, I'm getting those feelings again. The ones like after Juventus in 2005. Those "do you know what, I think we're going to fucking win this!" feelings. 

I'm convinced. I think. 

Is anybody getting to that stage where they're starting to think about football a lot more than they did, checking fixtures, doing mathematical gymnastics etc, watching videos of 2005, thinking anything is possible, basically starting to get consumed with football? 

Once the final whistle goes on our games, I just can't wait to watch us play again. 

And, I'm getting those feelings again. The ones like after Juventus in 2005. Those "do you know what, I think we're going to fucking win this!" feelings. 

I'm convinced. I think. 

And that was my 1800th post. Got to be an omen there. Or something. 

• Upvote 1

I'm convinced. I think. 

Chris Bascombe's piece in the telegraph today was a proper 'I believe' piece... 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10718135/Liverpool-strike-fear-into-Premier-League-rivals-after-six-goal-show-at-Cardiff.html

Liverpool are doing nothing to assist the campaign to reduce Premier League ticket prices. If ever a side is worth the entrance fee, whatever the cost, this is it.

They should be rolling up to games with an entourage of trailers and production staff, promoters issuing fliers welcoming the Anfield showmen to town. If Cecil B DeMille was still around he would be shadowing this Liverpool team and planning his next visual feast.

Brendan Rodgers is rapidly becoming the Premier League’s equivalent of P T Barnum. His troupe took their tally to 82 goals for the campaign with this latest critically acclaimed performance in Cardiff, the choreography between Luis Suárez and Daniel Sturridge finding new means in which to elicit gasps from the audience.

For Rodgers, there is another dimension to his side. It is not only the capacity to thrill, but the opponent’s sense of awe and alarm that is satisfying the Liverpool coach.

“I know as a manager that when you are stood on the touchline, the thing you fear most in a game is the opponent and their offensive threat,” said Rodgers.

“You are playing against a team that you know can score from anywhere, any angle, and a team that can dominate the ball. The variety and imagination in our game is at a real top level.

"When I came in last season, I said that after scoring more goals last year, we wanted to find 20-plus more goals, through different areas and through more work, so we’ve done that.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made no secret of his foreboding and his enterprising formation – utilising the pace of Craig Bellamy and Fraizer Campbell while ensuring there were never less than five defenders preventing swift counter attacks – demonstrated it.

It meant Cardiff City started well, posing a tactical conundrum for a Liverpool side initially denied space and time to craft frequent openings.

The fact Liverpool still scored twice in the first half was a hint of what would follow, Suárez and Martin Skrtel cancelling out excellent finishes from Jordon Mutch and Campbell.

For the second consecutive week, Cardiff bore no resemblance to a side meandering tamely back to the championship. They just bowed to superiority.

In retrospect, Cardiff looked as though they had spent the first 30 minutes erecting the barricades in preparation for an inevitable, full-on assault.

When it arrived at the start of the second half, the hosts were helpless, brushed aside by the velocity, imagination and power of this natural, attacking force.

Suárez’s hat-trick seemed almost predictable with his exhibition of courage, strength, skill and what Solskjaer perceptively called “optimism”.

The Uruguayan’s third was the result of his calculation that Juan Cala would anxiously fall to the floor when the striker challenged in the fifth minute of injury time, but it was Sturridge’s assist for his second – a back heel demonstrating a telepathic understanding – that left the most lingering impression.

Suárez is freakishly brilliant and Sturridge, who tapped in the fifth, is still underrated. One hesitates to jump on the ‘if a Brazilian showed as much skill we would be purring’ bandwagon, but Sturridge is more than just a support act.

If he ends up on the wing under orders to assist his full-back at the World Cup this summer, it would not just be maddening. It would be negligent.

Solskjaer was clutching at straws to argue that the application of an illogical rule was the game’s pivotal moment, as – with the game still 2-2 – Mutch and Kévin Théophile-Catherine were ordered off for 90 seconds having received treatment. Skrtel headed Liverpool ahead in their absence.

It is a peculiar law, but Solskjaer might ask his two defenders if an opposition corner is the best time to request a face and leg massage. .

Liverpool’s defence still offered opportunities and conceded a third.

You will recall a few months ago how we concluded that it was impossible for a team so prone to errors at the back to compete for the title.

History also tells us only those capable of grinding out dour, slender victories on their travels carry the mark of champions. Consider those views revised.

The remaining eight games cannot be viewed as mere ‘fixtures’. If Liverpool keep winning, they will be events.

Solskjaer’s final act of the afternoon was a declaration that he could not care less if Liverpool are capable of winning the league.

The problem is, expressions of ambivalence are highly contradictory when delivered in such a tetchy way.

It is not possible to be apathetic where this Liverpool team are considered. As Rodgers rightly observed, if you are not one of those enchanted by this team, you are firmly on the side of those who fear it.

I have been to four games so far this season, Home games vs Villa and Notts County. Away games vs West Brom and Everton.

So far they have all been draws after 90 minutes.

I have tickets for tomorrow nights game.....

Don't worry mate, you'll have company on top of the bonfire with Angry of Tuebrook up there as well if we don't win.

I have been to four games so far this season, Home games vs Villa and Notts County. Away games vs West Brom and Everton.

So far they have all been draws after 90 minutes.

I have tickets for tomorrow nights game.....

Every game I've listened to on radio we've won. Let's see who has the stronger mojo!

DaveT, on 24 Mar 2014 - 5:59 PM, said:snapback.png

If that's right, we should bench him for Sunderland, play him against Spurs and if he gets booked that game, he sits out West Ham, back for City.

If Stevie got booked in the Spurs game he would miss West Ham and City.

Basically I think Stevie will take a card in this game (missing WH and Spurs) because I simply don't see Stevie avoiding yellow for 4 games. 

DaveT, on 24 Mar 2014 - 5:59 PM, said:snapback.png

If Stevie got booked in the Spurs game he would miss West Ham and City.

Basically I think Stevie will take a card in this game (missing WH and Spurs) because I simply don't see Stevie avoiding yellow for 4 games.

Agreed. I think he will get it tomorrow and therefore miss the 2 games where we should be able to cope without him. Obviously Lucas is the natural replacement keeping Hendo and Allen in the centre together - but I'd be in favour of dropping Allen back, putting Coutinho and Hendo in- with Sterling coming back into the side. Either way - both possibilities should be enough for Spurs and West Ham. We need Gerrard for City. Need.