You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

Main difference between the teams was the midfield. We were second best both tactically and individually. Just like most of us feared I suppose.

No more 3-5-2 should be obvious now. And next transfer windows should be about adding some class in central midfield. The depth is there in those positions. we need 1-2 players to improve the first eleven.

Main difference between the teams was the midfield. We were second best both tactically and individually. Just like most of us feared I suppose.

No more 3-5-2 should be obvious now. And next transfer windows should be about adding some class in central midfield. The depth is there in those positions. we need 1-2 players to improve the first eleven.

We need a box to box central midfield player who doesn't get a nose bleed infront of goal and a quality left back top priorities imo

I find it amusing that some people want gerrard dropped or hooked in a game where we are already playing quite poorly, like taking him off will inspire the other players to play better or, his replacement will out perform him.

This is the crux. We do need better than him atm, but we do not have it. To suggest he wasn't possibly the worst of 8 midfielders out there today though is dishonest.

You can't beat a decent, well managed team with a midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Lucas. Our forwards were overplayed and ended up coming to midfield time and again to get the ball, where they promptly shut down.

But of course nobody could see that coming, right? Wenger must have had a laugh when he saw the team sheet.

Rodgers is simply overmatched game in and game out. Why the fuck didn't  he try to isolate Sturridge on Sagna after Sagna got his yellow? Neither of our so-called wingbacks did anything to challenge Arsenal's fullbacks.

They were there for the taking. We were outplayed, outrun and outthought. Again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I heard Rodgers say that with Johnson injured rather than tweak the formation he decided to start Flanagan. WTF?

We do need better than him atm, but we do not have it

Allen is so bad that he didn't deserve a runout when were down 2-0? That's just baffling to me.

It is confirmation of the second part of the post - he is not better.

At 15 million, he deserves 10 minutes in a lost cause when Gerrard had long stopped running. If he can't even get a minimal runout then fucking sell him.

I think Rodgers is afraid of Gerrard, especially in a World Cup Year.

The problem was their midfield was outnumbering our midfield 5 to 3 and their fullbacks were competent further pushing the numbers in Arsenal's favour. Arsenal had a sea of options when they had the ball and we had to thread the eye of a needle when we had the ball.

But that should not have happened, our wing backs should have been in there too. If Arsenal were pushing full backs on then Sturridge or Suarez had to help to close them down. This is exactly what was happening up to the first goal which seemed to inspire Arsenal and knock the guts out of us.

Anyway, one big positive for me was Sakhos reaction - he does not like losing. He really pulled his tripe out to try and get us back into the game.

I think the one message we should take from today is that if we have a weak link then the other teams competing for a top four place will have the ammunition to exploit it.We need to ensure that we have the right quality throughout the team. I will console myself with the thought that Enrique and Johnson will plug two of those weak links.

Let us all adopt the age old wisdom that there is no sentiment in football, and, with great regret and all due respect, replace that fading talent that has served our club so well. Yes, keep him active - the bench isn't the death of a player,after all - but let Rodgers consider the immediate future without Stevie. Let England enjoy the fruits of his inactivity in Brazil; a place that I couldn't give a fuck about, but a place that represents a golden check out for the final members of the 'Golden Generation'.

And fucking sort the fucking defence as well, Rodgers! We lost to a team that feared us today........and only because our defence were shite. That is all,

Fuck off!!!!!!!

Rodgers needs to start thinking on his feet, and quick. He knew exactly what wengers game plan was and where arsenals strengths are and proceeded to walk straight into it.

Wenger was always going to set out and use their numerical advantage and quick passing to control the game and stifle our forwards of ball and that's exactly what he did. He then hoped his goal scoring midfielders would exploit the space and grab a couple, and ramsey and carzola didn't disappoint. It was like taking candy from a fucking baby. Sadly so so predictable.

In fairness to him I've just listened to a post-match press conference on talk-sport and Rogers acknowledged that the midfield was collectively poor, and gave them too much space. How he changes it (until Jan) I'm not sure. One week Lucas looks poor, the next it's Gerrard. One thing is for certain, the dynamic is definitely wrong and needs changing ASAP.

Does anyone know why Flanagan, who wasn't on the bench last week took glen johnsons place tonight whilst Kelly, who came on for Johnson last week was left on the bench?

Another mystery. I think Rodgers has given up on Kelly - it can't be fitness anymore.

In fairness to him I've just listened to a post-match press conference on talk-sport and Rogers acknowledged that the midfield was collectively poor, and gave them too much space. How he changes it (until Jan) I'm not sure. One week Lucas looks poor, the next it's Gerrard. One thing is for certain, the dynamic is definitely wrong and needs changing ASAP.

I don't want to be to critical of Rodgers but a fucking ten year old could have told him before a ball had been kicked that arsenals midfield with a man advantage would have lots of space.

I don't want to be to critical of Rodgers but a fucking ten year old could have told him before a ball had been kicked that arsenals midfield with a man advantage would have lots of space.

He was counting on Flanno to make the difference. I think.