You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

If we'd lost playing half decently I wouldn't have a problem. But we lost playing the same turgid style we have all season with zero offensive contributions from anyone outside of Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho. At the end of the day Rodgers has 13 points out of 45 available against the top 6. It's an awful record and doesn't reflect well on his tactical nous. He needs backing in the market. No more spending 45M on Borinis, Aspas's, Alberto's and Allen's. Squad players who aren't even trusted to be part of the squad. Go out and get two good players for that price instead of 4. 

• Upvote 1

If Ramsey was for sale, the likes of City and Chelsea, the mancs would be all over it, try selling Henderson or Allen, you'd be lucky if anyone on in the top ten would be remotely interested and we'd lose money on the fee.

Henderson was at fault for the goal not tracking his man, he was utter, utter shite yesterday. The other two were a bit crap but they did their basic jobs in a formation that was always going to leave them at a disadvantage.

I think that demonstrates the stupidity of the question, I dont rate Ramsey myself but he is a class above those two albeit a different type of player. 

In relative terms, for his position Id rather have Gerrard and Coutinho to choose from but Rodgers doesnt play Gerrard in his best position due to his cm blindspot he has to hold him back cos all the other choices are mongs.

You are joking right? The three of them were poor but Lucas consistently gave possession away. For Ramsey's goal, view his positioning again. Their player came inside from the right flank, Lucas goes out to meet him, fails to put in a challenge and ends up stood in no mans land doing fuck all. Henderson was as guilty of being caught out of position, which is why Toure pushed out to close him down, but laying blame at Henderson's door is a bit lame, it was collective errors and a failure to close them down which was our undoing, that and a piece of brilliance from Ramsey.

It was symptomatic of our problems, Lucas is the defensive midfielder who's job it is to protect the back line, and he was well out of position, if he read the game and held his position, he'd have blocked the run or cut out the ball, he just wandered aimlessly away from the play.

But to be honest, SAF's comment on Henderson really made me worried in some sense. After all SAF has more rights than wrongs in his words. 

Ferguson had a pop at Henderson because he was pissed off he didn't get him, as he was tracking him.  Just like he had a pop at Gerrard because he didn't get him at United.  He had a dig at everyone in his book who either snubbed him or had a go at him in some form - Beckham, Keane, Horseface etc..

He's a vile cunt! 

• Upvote 1

Someone just got to get bashed if we lose any game LOL and some old habit just don't change you see. 

But to be honest, SAF's comment on Henderson really made me worried in some sense. After all SAF has more rights than wrongs in his words. 

SAF?! SAF?

Get to fuck.

• Upvote 1

You are joking right? The three of them were poor but Lucas consistently gave possession away. For Ramsey's goal, view his positioning again. Their player came inside from the right flank, Lucas goes out to meet him, fails to put in a challenge and ends up stood in no mans land doing fuck all. Henderson was as guilty of being caught out of position, which is why Toure pushed out to close him down, but laying blame at Henderson's door is a bit lame, it was collective errors and a failure to close them down which was our undoing, that and a piece of brilliance from Ramsey.

It was symptomatic of our problems, Lucas is the defensive midfielder who's job it is to protect the back line, and he was well out of position, if he read the game and held his position, he'd have blocked the run or cut out the ball, he just wandered aimlessly away from the play.

Both Lucas and Gerrard were actively pressing Henderson was supposed to fill in when play gets pulled across, he let a free man run by him and made no attempt to close in on him, criminal that. Top finish mind but he shouldnt have been free to receive the ball.

Thats the type of thing Henderson does and why you get found out against top sides with someone like him or Allen compared to top players like Gerrard or Lucas, its the off ball stuff thats harder to notice  but that type of thing has always been there with him. The other parts of his game dont make up for it.

On Rodgers tactics I was staggered to see how much when we had the ball how none of our three CM's never tried to break forward past their CM's we were all in a line behind the pay hoping for a coutinho/Sturridge/Suarez link up to get us out of trouble. They played as a team, as a unit. It could be that we were weary/shell shocked or due to Rodger's instructions but in either case its down the manager to change things round. To be fair he partly addressed it by bringing Countinho on and we did better after the break but it wasnt enough.

Why we didnt address CM in the summer I cant begin to guess.

With Johnson out we should definitely have switched to a back four and had an extra man in midfield. The way we set up was not good at all and I'm actually surprised that we performed as well as we did.

The big problem for me though, as others have pointed out, is that our midfield was truly dire. Henderson gave his all but Gerrard and Lucas were just run past again and again. This is a big problem for us and it's not going to get any better if we keep playing the way we are.

I agree that it wasn't Henderson's fault particularly, although he should probably have moved over to be a bit closer to Ramsey, but looks to have been watching where the man with the ball was, rather than seeing the run that Ramsey made. But I also think you can't blame Lucas. Watching it again, it looks like he is not going over to make a challenge on the player with the ball, but is anticipating the ball being played short to Rosicky - which if Lucas hadn't moved towards him is likely the pass that would have been made and could have left him with space to do damage.

Doing so then left the space for Ramsey to move into behind Lucas, which Henderson could have squeezed a little, but all said, it was simply a great finish from Ramsey. The majority of times, a player receiving the ball in that position with defenders in front of him does not result in a goal. Ramsey's playing so well at the moment that he was able to beat the odds. 

There were no top sides in for Henderson, only us, and if we were to sell him tomorrow thered be no one of note in for him.

That tells you all you need to know.

Henderson was linked with United heavily at the time.

Man United weren't interested in Henderson at the price Sunderland were selling at. Clever folks.

We win a game - Henderson is boss!

We lose - Henderson is shit!

This place is very predictable.

Gerrard puts in a non challenge on Ozil. Lucas rushes in and gets deked to his right.

On Cazorla's - Gerrard is watching him run free towards our goal jogging 10m behind him, they both started at around the same spot on the break.

AT least they were pressing fluidly, 10,yards behind you arent going to catch him, Jordan was nowhere when someone runs right by him while those two were trying to deal with 4 or 5 of them running amok.

If the ref had allowed us to take that freekick fast as he should have done then Henderson would have scored yesterday after a brilliant run to get into the box at the far post.

We need more people in and around the box and dropping one of the few players we have who are capable of getting there is not soemthing I would have done.

• Upvote 4

We're third in the league admittedly we weren't great yesterday but come on is it not great to actually be in the mix in November ? If we win next week the feel good factor will be a back isn't that what football is all about?

Guess I'm a half glass full kinda person .

AT least they were pressing fluidly, 10,yards behind you arent going to catch him, Jordan was nowhere when someone runs right by him while those two were trying to deal with 4 or 5 of them running amok.

He didn't start 10 yards behind him is the point. If that is the case then Henderson is a good 10 yards away and Ramsey only takes about 4 steps - so heis going to catch him?

We had 4 to their 3 in the buildup to Ramsey's goals - no one was running amok.

I wouldn't replace or get rid of any of our midfield players. They are imo all good players, however is there a sense of entitlement creeping in. It's as if some seem to big to be rested. Our midfield system seems too constrained, shackled. Wether it's the system or players there is simply not enough goals coming from midfield areas.

We were told in the summer that we wouldn't sell our star player to one of our rivals. If we see arsenal as our rivals our midfield options need upgrading, the arsenal midfield we played yesterday had flamini and Whiltshire not in the side, both are not guaranteed of a starting place yet both will slot into the side seamlessly, if selected.

It's a big conundrum for Rodgers, no easy solutions imo either.

Hmmm, I don't think Henderson is currently bad because we lost I just think he's currently bad. The money we spent on Henderson could have bought a much better player and we all know it.

You could say that about numerous names the last 20 years with our business in the transfer market.

Henderson is a good player and getting better all the time.  Judge the player not the fee, something he can't do anything about.  I don't think he was that over priced anyway looking at some of the other fees going around for young talent, like Zaha.

Some of our fans really are more critics than supporters.

• Upvote 1

Even forgetting the fee he's squad fodder.

Not sure what that even means, but whatever can't be arsed with people having snide digs at a player who has been one of our better performers this season.