You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashes Down Under 2013/14

RobbieOR

I haven't engaged with this series at all

Has it been of a really poor standard?

England look spent - are there any good players they can call on?

Well, from us, yeah.

As for players we can call on, no, not really. The make up of our squad screams of arrogance. They thought we'd batter the Aussies and have no need to change things at any point, maybe even blood some youngsters if we had the series sewn up after three or four tests.

Well, from us, yeah.

As for players we can call on, no, not really. The make up of our squad screams of arrogance. They thought we'd batter the Aussies and have no need to change things at any point, maybe even blood some youngsters if we had the series sewn up after three or four tests.

Cheers

Well it will be 5 - 0

I think Flower will move on (IPL) and England will get a more progressive coach like Stephen Fleming (and a better bowling coach than Saker)

I met Cook once. He is a very nice bloke, although he did mention that if he got an offer he would off to the IPL in a flash

I think it would good to shake up the bowling for England - perhaps Rankin and Finn for Perth

Cheers

Well it will be 5 - 0

I think Flower will move on (IPL) and England will get a more progressive coach like Stephen Fleming (and a better bowling coach than Saker)

I met Cook once. He is a very nice bloke, although he did mention that if he got an offer he would off to the IPL in a flash

I think it would good to shake up the bowling for England - perhaps Rankin and Finn for Perth

I'd love Stephen Fleming (best cricket autobiography bar none...Brearley and Atherton's are close) to be in charge, but it'll be Ashley fucking Giles, the king of contain.

Was Cook a really boring cunt? He certainly seems like one.

I could see the sense in picking Rankin and Finn. I'd drop Swann and Anderson. Swann needs a kick up the arse, and if the pitch isn't green and its overcast, there isn't any point picking Anderson. Don't rate Rankin much though. Ah well.

I'd love Stephen Fleming (best cricket autobiography bar none...Brearley and Atherton's are close) to be in charge, but it'll be Ashley fucking Giles, the king of contain.

Was Cook a really boring cunt? He certainly seems like one.

I could see the sense in picking Rankin and Finn. I'd drop Swann and Anderson. Swann needs a kick up the arse, and if the pitch isn't green and its overcast, there isn't any point picking Anderson. Don't rate Rankin much though. Ah well.

I'd have thought Finn is an absolute must for Perth.

This must be bringing tears to Onions eyes....tears of laughter and that is for the way the selectors have treated him....not saying he would have changed things but he was the bowler in form and as Jairziinho mentioned it smacked of the arrogance of the way this squad was put together.

And what the fuck is it with all these hook shots? That just gives the impression that they don't like the short stuff, you're trying to save the game then that is the last shot you should be trying to do when your in deep shit.

Why were the England batsman so aggressive on that final day when it had been raining and the only chance England had of saving the match was batting time and hoping it would rain again.

Broad hooking two balls in the first over - the second one getting him out.

Prior being really aggressive -getting out!

Stupid.

The whole lower order are just a gang of sloggers really. Infact, ironically, it's probably only 10 and 11 (in this game anyway) that tried to stick out. That were willing to wear one for the team, rather than edge a few fours and then chip one to square leg.

The application from Broad and Swann, especially, with the bat, has been fairly pathetic for a while. Shame with Broad as technically he's a pretty good bat.

Its a shithouse tactic when you're scared of the short ball.

It isn't a strong lower order at all. I've no idea where that myth has come from, or why we've allowed it to continue.

Very few people in the side I like.

Carberry and Bresnan (when he's back). Maybe Bell.

Broad is a twat no doubt, and I fear that he'll be the next test captain (the options are so depressing). In his defence, he's taken the stick from the Aussies quite well in this series. I expected him to either burst into tears or channel his aggression towards bowling a load of short rubbish.

I'd say part of Root handling the short stuff well is the fact that he doesn't get sucked into responding to the chat, which is exactly what Johnson and co want him to do. Regardless of the result, this tour will be invaluable for him and he looks to be learning quickly. Carberry has actually been solid so far too, yet these were the two with the biggest question marks hanging over them coming into this tour.

I'd say part of Root handling the short stuff well is the fact that he doesn't get sucked into responding to the chat, which is exactly what Johnson and co want him to do. Regardless of the result, this tour will be invaluable for him and he looks to be learning quickly. Carberry has actually been solid so far too, yet these were the two with the biggest question marks hanging over them coming into this tour.

The bit where Root smiled after a short one and then Johnson gave an exaggerated smile back was great.

Just realised LFD has negged my Ron Swanson GIF.

Shit just got serious. That's Ron motherfucking Swanson you've insulted.

Everyone keeps posting gifs of him on here.  

• Downvote 1