You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashes Down Under 2013/14

RobbieOR

I can't say Carberry is definitely the answer to the issue of who to open with Cook, but he is in form and has spent his career as an opener, so he is as good a bet England have at this stage. Importantly, it allows Root to find his feet at Test level under less pressure.

Another interesting point- I was listening to Matthew Hayden last night highlight Brisbane and Perth as crucial to Australia's chances of winning back the urn. I looked at previous years and since the WACA ground in Perth started hosting Tests at the start of the 70's, England has won there once only in 1978/79, when the Australian team was gutted because of the World Series Cricket split. In Brisbane, they have won twice in that same time, again in the 1978/79 series and also in the 1986/87 series.

They are clearly the 2 most difficult sets of conditions for English players to adjust to, given the extra pace and bounce that are characteristics of both. That isn't to say every English player will struggle, as evidenced by England's mammoth 1/517d in the 2nd innings at Brisbane last time around. I'd go as far to say that if Australia are to be a decent chance of winning the series, they must win both of these Tests.

I can't say Carberry is definitely the answer to the issue of who to open with Cook, but he is in form and has spent his career as an opener, so he is as good a bet England have at this stage. Importantly, it allows Root to find his feet at Test level under less pressure.

Another interesting point- I was listening to Matthew Hayden last night highlight Brisbane and Perth as crucial to Australia's chances of winning back the urn. I looked at previous years and since the WACA ground in Perth started hosting Tests at the start of the 70's, England has won there once only in 1978/79, when the Australian team was gutted because of the World Series Cricket split. In Brisbane, they have won twice in that same time, again in the 1978/79 series and also in the 1986/87 series.

They are clearly the 2 most difficult sets of conditions for English players to adjust to, given the extra pace and bounce that are characteristics of both. That isn't to say every English player will struggle, as evidenced by England's mammoth 1/517d in the 2nd innings at Brisbane last time around. I'd go as far to say that if Australia are to be a decent chance of winning the series, they must win both of these Tests.

Yeah I agree.  If Australia win in Brisbane they will be in with a really good chance.

I reckon the Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney pitches will be prepared for draws (i.e. roads) and Australia will fancy their chances in the other two tests.

Yeah I agree. If Australia win in Brisbane they will be in with a really good chance.

I reckon the Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney pitches will be prepared for draws (i.e. roads) and Australia will fancy their chances in the other two tests.

Surely the Aussies won't deliberately prepare wickets to suit them after all the shit we heard in the summer.

Former Australia captain Ian Chappell thinks the build-up to the Ashes is misleading and writes: "I've reached an age where memory lapses become a concern, and I'm wondering if I only imagined Australia's recent heavy Test losses to India and then England. Didn't those 4-0 and 3-0 losses occur? I only ask because ever since England landed in Australia, it's all been about the problems facing the tourists and how the home side is settled and in good shape for the upcoming Ashes series."

Former Australia captain Ian Chappell thinks the build-up to the Ashes is misleading and writes: "I've reached an age where memory lapses become a concern, and I'm wondering if I only imagined Australia's recent heavy Test losses to India and then England. Didn't those 4-0 and 3-0 losses occur? I only ask because ever since England landed in Australia, it's all been about the problems facing the tourists and how the home side is settled and in good shape for the upcoming Ashes series."

Haha, very true.

Australia can try and pretend everything is rosy, but it really isn't.

How many Australian players would get in the England team?  Probably two - Clarke and Harris.

Vaughan sums up the Johnson situation well here:

I fear Mitchell Johnson could have the last laugh over the England supporters if he can reproduce his one-day form with the red ball. It is a big ''if'' because bowling only 10 overs is very different to bowling 22 overs in a day. But he has his mojo back and if he starts well he could have an amazing Ashes because we know he is a confidence bowler. If he starts badly the old memories will come back and the Barmy Army will be right on top of him.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/funky-clarke-plays-to-win-but-what-has-he-won-lately-20131117-2xp5y.html#ixzz2kwv3pvww

Ashes will feature Hot Spot & Snicko

19 November 2013 Updated 08:21

Umpires in the Ashes series between England and Australia will use a real-time Snickometer and HotSpot to help detect contact between bat and ball.

The technology aids will form part of the decision review system (DRS) after the host broadcaster and company that makes the equipment reached agreement.

HotSpot's thermal imaging caused controversy during the summer Ashes when it failed to detect faint edges.

But it is hoped that the two devices together can help eradicate errors.

Cricket Australia said on its website: "Real-time Snicko will be part of the DRS. Both teams' boards have agreed to do it.

"We had a difficult negotiation but thankfully we've come together. We're thrilled to have Hot Spot continue as part of the coverage.

"We're all about the best technology in the world. We feel that is among it and are looking forward to adding to that with the real-time Snicko, which we think will add to the viewers' experience and also help in the decision-making process for umpires.

"It will change the DRS. We hope you won't get the mistakes."

The first Test between England and Australia in Brisbane begins on 21 November.

The International Cricket Council will use the series as a trial of the real-time Snickometer, with a view to its permanent introduction as part of DRS.

Less than 34 hours.

Oh my.

I dont know what others think about the quick turnaround but I like it that memories are still very fresh from the summer series and it'll be pretty much the same players...a bit like home and away in the one season, as in a certain other sport

I dont know what others think about the quick turnaround but I like it that memories are still very fresh from the summer series and it'll be pretty much the same players...a bit like home and away in the one season, as in a certain other sport

It makes it seem like a 10 match series as they are so close together.

It means individual battles will carry on from the last series.  

Ashes will feature Hot Spot & Snicko

19 November 2013 Updated 08:21

Umpires in the Ashes series between England and Australia will use a real-time Snickometer and HotSpot to help detect contact between bat and ball.

The technology aids will form part of the decision review system (DRS) after the host broadcaster and company that makes the equipment reached agreement.

HotSpot's thermal imaging caused controversy during the summer Ashes when it failed to detect faint edges.

But it is hoped that the two devices together can help eradicate errors.

Cricket Australia said on its website: "Real-time Snicko will be part of the DRS. Both teams' boards have agreed to do it.

"We had a difficult negotiation but thankfully we've come together. We're thrilled to have Hot Spot continue as part of the coverage.

"We're all about the best technology in the world. We feel that is among it and are looking forward to adding to that with the real-time Snicko, which we think will add to the viewers' experience and also help in the decision-making process for umpires.

"It will change the DRS. We hope you won't get the mistakes."

The first Test between England and Australia in Brisbane begins on 21 November.

The International Cricket Council will use the series as a trial of the real-time Snickometer, with a view to its permanent introduction as part of DRS.

Jesus Christ!

Bad shithouse dog aids and now this

Does this mean i can no longer bum my IPad?

I think it's correct of Chapple to plead for perspective in evaluating Australia's hopes. They are unproven at best.

That said, the current optimism emanating from their notoriously one eyed media is at least partly based on a recognition that this England side is decent to good rather than anything more than that.

We still have the spine of the team that beat Australia so convincingly last time we toured. The quality of that display, allied to the beating we handed to India the following summer,led to a sense that greatness beckoned. However, expectations have seen been diluted with some less than stellar performances since. SA outclassed us at home, Pakistan embarrassed us in admittedly quite unique conditions and the Kiwis almost snatched victory as recently as last Winter.

On each occasion, the symptoms of poor performances are similar. While our bowlers rarely fail, our batsmen are not as prolific as their averages suggest. When they fail, they fail as a group. This suggests a brittleness.

We have produced some good results in this period as well, India away especially and I think we will win here. It is however not implausible that Australia's bowlers will generate early momentum and that will be enough.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I'm finding a lot of the talk from both sides a bit tedious. The series in England was so recent, all the players know what to expect from each other, not many secrets after 2 months away from each other. The only thing is adjusting to the conditions, but most of this England team had little trouble there going by the last series in Australia.

Just shut the fuck up and see you all with the whites on in about 24 hours. Cheers.

Predictions time.

1. Top English wicket taker?

2. Top English run scorer?

3. Top Aussie wicket taker?

4. Top Aussie run scorer?

5. Winner of the Compton Miller Medal?

1. Anderson

2. Cook

3. Harris

4. Clarke

5. Cook

Not taking any real risks there!

Less than 24 hours to go.  I am just sorting my crew for the MCG test as well.  

1. Top English wicket taker? Swann
2. Top English run scorer? Cook
3. Top Aussie wicket taker? Harris
4. Top Aussie run scorer? Clarke
5. Winner of the Compton Miller Medal? Is that for player of the series? - If so Cook!

Tremlett

Pietersen

Johnson

Warner

Warner

Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons! Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a couple of those come to fruition though, some real confidence players in there, all of whom should enjoy Australian conditions.