You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashes Down Under 2013/14

RobbieOR

Atherton was a much better captain than Cook. Not his fault the team was shit.

My nan could captain the current England side and we'd still batter these Aussies.

Fair points, but why did Warne say all this stuff when Strauss was captain?  Wouldn't say Cook is anymore defensive than him.

Any suggestion that back-to-back series would dull my appetite have been well and truly shot. Just over two weeks and I can.not.wait.

The Australian series works out perfectly for me, too. Because of the time difference, play starts in the early evening over here. Head home a bit early, pick up some ale, then sit and watch the cricket until midnight.

Bring this shit on!

Australia A v England game on telly here too, fucking get in there! I always find the first-class games in early November to be some of the best of the season, given all the Australian players are back with their states, plus you have the next rung down pushing hard for inclusion into the national squad. This is amplified by it being an Ashes summer.

Whilst I don't agree with how the one-day competition was treated as almost an inconvenience (it's finished already!), it is nice to know that between now and Christmas is just a stack of good Test and FC matches to look forward to as the weather is slowly getting better (25, 24 and 29 the last 3 days ;))

Didn't.

Not sure. I'd possibly agree with Botham that its probably slight bravado, actually born out of diminishing confidence in his own side. Strauss, although a pretty negative captain, always strikes me as someone that would be very difficult to "get at" mentally. I'm not saying Cook is, but he's younger, less experienced as a captain, and also following Strauss (a successful captain).

None of this shit matters really. Mind games can work on the pitch, but not off it, for me.

Not sure. I'd possibly agree with Botham that its probably slight bravado, actually born out of diminishing confidence in his own side. Strauss, although a pretty negative captain, always strikes me as someone that would be very difficult to "get at" mentally. I'm not saying Cook is, but he's younger, less experienced as a captain, and also following Strauss (a successful captain).

None of this shit matters really. Mind games can work on the pitch, but not off it, for me.

Warne is a bully, always has been.

An incredibly talented cricketer but a bully with it.

Warne is a bully, always has been.

An incredibly talented cricketer but a bully with it.

He can only bully people that allow it to happen though. If you can block it out, or fire some back, he won't do fuck all.

Reckon he ever sledged Tendulkar? Or acted the cunt to Matt Hayden in the dressing room?

I personally agree with him that England are quite negative. I'm not sure the criticism of Cook is entirely fair, mainly because I think Flower calls the shots, so we're possibly never going to see just how aggressive/defensive, good/bad, a captain Cook is. Its up to Cook to decide how he deals with the stuff from Warne though. Could just ignore it, could just give some boring clichés in response, could say Warne looks like a fucking Madame Tussauds waxwork, and that the Aussies are going to take a good solid bumming.

He can only bully people that allow it to happen though. If you can block it out, or fire some back, he won't do fuck all.

Reckon he ever sledged Tendulkar? Or acted the cunt to Matt Hayden in the dressing room?

I personally agree with him that England are quite negative. I'm not sure the criticism of Cook is entirely fair, mainly because I think Flower calls the shots, so we're possibly never going to see just how aggressive/defensive, good/bad, a captain Cook is. Its up to Cook to decide how he deals with the stuff from Warne though. Could just ignore it, could just give some boring clichés in response, could say Warne looks like a fucking Madame Tussauds waxwork, and that the Aussies are going to take a good solid bumming.

He's a bully. He only comes out with this shite as he thinks he can get away with it. Listen to his false praise of Bell.

I fully agree about Cook needing to front up. He doesn't need to come out with cheap shots though, just big runs and a series victory.

I think Cook and the rest of the England batsman will have a much better series in Australia as the ball will come on to the bat more and that suits their games.

Correctomundo. Some even lift their game when they are sledged (Allan Border used it to motivate himself) so you have to pick your targets wisely.

Does anyone think Carberry could come into the team to open in order to allow Root to bat at 5 or 6? That one century aside (when golden gloves himself Haddin let an easy chance go straight past him when Root was in single figures) he wasn't entirely convincing as an opener at Test level yet. By which I mean the lad seems composed enough etc. (unlike say Bell who looked like a rabbit caught in headlights early in his career) but he really did get bogged down at times. That along with Cook's below-par series meant there were early wickets falling a bit too regularly for England's liking. Be interesting to hear some thoughts on this matter.

Does anyone think Carberry could come into the team to open in order to allow Root to bat at 5 or 6? That one century aside (when golden gloves himself Haddin let an easy chance go straight past him when Root was in single figures) he wasn't entirely convincing as an opener at Test level yet. By which I mean the lad seems composed enough etc. (unlike say Bell who looked like a rabbit caught in headlights early in his career) but he really did get bogged down at times. That along with Cook's below-par series meant there were early wickets falling a bit too regularly for England's liking. Be interesting to hear some thoughts on this matter.

Cook said two spaces are up for grabs in the team and I don't think he is fibbing.  The third pace bowler and one batting spot is very much up for grabs.  If Carberry impresses then I think Root will drop down the order.

Add in the Aussies may well go with Mitchell Johnson as part of a 4 man seam attack and it's England's to lose.

I know Australia have other bowling options.  But other than Harris, I think they have to play him as he is capable of great spells.  They just have to hope he doesn't "bowl to the left" and then "bowl to the riiiiiiiiiiight"!

I know Australia have other bowling options.  But other than Harris, I think they have to play him as he is capable of great spells.  They just have to hope he doesn't "bowl to the left" and then "bowl to the riiiiiiiiiiight"!

Interesting selections for this 'A' team. Given Australia's current issue is batting, they have put their best batsmen outside the national team in this game to see who can push for selection. The bowling isn't the next rung down though, probably the one after that.