You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firstly, you dont know that this happened. It seems very unlikely and I do not think Rodgers would have entertained it, he seems like he'd walk if he felt he was being messed about.

Good post, in full.

I agree. Something not right at all there with Anzhi. Step away from the vehicle..

Willian has shown he's a mercenary by agreeing a deal then switching. If we signed him and he performed well, we'd have another Suarez situation on our hands. It's stability we need more than anything else.

£30m is probably too much to have spent on Willian. However, English clubs have a fuckload more money this season, as witnessed by Norwich and Southampton's splurges.

We also have superior sponsorship deals in place, and they were supposedly sought out to put us in the kind of position where we would have more money to spend.

After a certain point, it becomes irrelevant if we're paying £5m over what the club think is someones value, because after a summer like we've had, that £5m should be considered a morale boost for the whole club. We needed a good player to arrive and add something to the first team.

We needed to feel excited, after being smashed in the face daily with with a rolled up copy of th mirror, with John Cross and Suarez's face plastered across every page.

We've stripped the wages back over the last 2 years, and now we should be in a position to go and get people. I know not being in the CL doesn't help us, but that wasn't a factor here.

£5m to give the club and supporters a lift isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

"The best thing about FSG is that they actually exist." Even Purslow knew what these cunts were up to.

I don't know why people are calling him a mercenary. He owes fuck all to any of these clubs. He's 25 years old and has a set of skills to sell to the highest bidder. What's wrong with that? Ha, maybe that is the definition of a mercenary but I don't think it should be aimed like some sort of negative trait. Football is now like a corporate business. Players are like contractors. I work in a bank and its the same way, full time workers and 'lifers' are slowly being replaced by contractors. They complete their job and then move on. This is the way footy is now. You got to deal with it.

The manager should have free reign on how he spends that 40M. If not then why bloody hire him? Frankly, at this level, its the most important skill for a manager to have.

The most important skill is to get the most out of the players he has, every single game. As for Rodgers, his buying record is spotty at best - even Sahin, who he pushed for hard, ended up costing the club a few million in wages with little return.

The most important skill is to get the most out of the players he has, every single game. As for Rodgers, his buying record is spotty at best - even Sahin, who he pushed for hard, ended up costing the club a few million in wages with little return.

Houllier, Rafa and Kenny could be accused of quite a few of those blips too.

It's always a gamble. Problem now is that Rodgers, for whatever reason, isn't being allowed to compete for the players we need to improve us.

Instant Karma for Spurs

This sort of mercenary is well suited to Chelsea and their like.

Why! Spurs have done fuck all wrong - they had money, and spent it. They knew they could outbid us and did. If anything it is Chelsea being cunts - buy a player who they don't really need, and weaken both Spurs (who may pull the plug on the Bale transfer) who may have challenged for the title, and Madrid, their competition in the champions league.

It's always a gamble. Problem now is that Rodgers, for whatever reason, isn't being allowed to compete for the players we need to improve us.

Hmmm - I don't think that is quite right! He is going for the top draw players, when the reality is that we have never really been in for those players. I think Torres was the first and last time we competed for a player at that level without selling someone.

Willian was an option because of the timing but in the cold light of day he was always out of our price range. I think the focus should have always been on the £15-20m, who is young and can improve us immediately and hopefully develop as well. Not sure who that is.

But surely there's a middle ground between what we've got and £30m players that'd still improve us.

It just seems like an odd window, we targeted cheaper squad players at sub £10m and top drawer talent at £20m +, yet seemingly no one sat in the middle bracket.

Hmmm - I don't think that is quite right! He is going for the top draw players, when the reality is that we have never really been in for those players. I think Torres was the first and last time we competed for a player at that level without selling someone.

Willian was an option because of the timing but in the cold light of day he was always out of our price range. I think the focus should have always been on the £15-20m, who is young and can improve us immediately and hopefully develop as well. Not sure who that is.

I'd actually agree with that, Sturridge being a phenomenally (and even cheaper) good example.

But while you or I may not be sure who similar prospects might be, surely somebody at the club should?

But surely there's a middle ground between what we've got and £30m players that'd still improve us.

It just seems like an odd window' date=' we targeted cheaper squad players at sub £10m and top drawer talent at £20m +, yet seemingly no one sat in the middle bracket.[/quote']

Absolutely, agree fully with that.

In the past I would have laughed off any of the conspiracy stuff, but the way we seemed to be briefing the press daily on our 'pursuits' of the Armenian, Costa and Willian was surely damaging to the deals actually being successful? The club seemed to be talking more to the press than to the clubs/agents.

I'm happy we didn't get Willian for that price. Mkhytarian on the other hand, that one was a setback.

Agree with this.

Lamela would be the same as Mkhitaryan here, actually. If he's really available for 25-28 million then he's the one we should be going for. Can't understand why we would value Willian higher than Lamela, especially when we're trying to add goals.

I'd actually agree with that, Sturridge being a phenomenally (and even cheaper) good example.

But while you or I may not be sure who similar prospects might be, surely somebody at the club should?

I think Costa was, is, the type of target we need to be going for. But apparently we have also struggled to attract those players! I think, we have obviously spoken to agents who have said no, so, I am pressuming that Costa gave us an indication that he would come - which, Rodgers alluded to when he said we had been used. Rodgers suggested that they may have been too ambitious - but I don't think Costa was too ambitious.

I think it is unfair to criticise FSG for not sanctioning the move for Willian because I don't think any of us expected, or even thought it was appropriate, spending £30m on one player. I was, and still am, expecting a £15-20m player and a centre half.

It just seems like an odd window' date=' we targeted cheaper squad players at sub £10m and top drawer talent at £20m +, yet seemingly no one sat in the middle bracket.[/quote']

I think Mkhitaryan £21m, and Costa £21m are those middle ground players! Willian was an anomaly in a sense, the timing gave us a chance, and maybe they got caught up in that.

I'm listing names of players I haven't seen - but Yarmolenko, Turan, and Llajic seem to be in that bracket - maybe we should have concentrated upon them, rather than be distrated by Willian.

Whelan, most peoples criticism is on the whole of the window and the pattern that is appearing.

And I disagree!

And to be quite frank, couldn't give a fuck. If you're not attractive enough to attract a fit bird, you either make yourself more attractive or you settle for a fat lass.

I've never shagged a fat lass as I find obesity repulsive. In other words, i'd rather we didn't sign Tom Ince and we held out for someone decent.

I think Costa was, is, the type of target we need to be going for. But apparently we have also struggled to attract those players! I think, we have obviously spoken to agents who have said no, so, I am pressuming that Costa gave us an indication that he would come - which, Rodgers alluded to when he said we had been used. Rodgers suggested that they may have been too ambitious - but I don't think Costa was too ambitious.

I think it is unfair to criticise FSG for not sanctioning the move for Willian because I don't think any of us expected, or even thought it was appropriate, spending £30m on one player. I was, and still am, expecting a £15-20m player and a centre half.

I think most people would be pretty happy with that and another season of Suarez. We've been in this exact position towards the end of windows too often for me to be hopeful, though.

Wonder if we'll go back in for Eriksson. I know his agent said something about wanting Champions League football, but it's not like there's a stampede for his signature.

And I disagree!

And to be quite frank, couldn't give a fuck. If you're not attractive enough to attract a fit bird, you either make yourself more attractive or you settle for a fat lass.

I've never shagged a fat lass as I find obesity repulsive. In other words, i'd rather we didn't sign Tom Ince and we held out for someone decent.

You've never had a skinful of Higson's Stingo then

The same pattern is repeated at most all other clubs.

City used to get knocked back all the time when they were rich for the first time, do you remember?

UNited being knocked back for Fabregas, and Fellaini and Baines.

Chelsea being knocked back for Rooney.

Arsenal knocked back for Suarez.

It happens, get over it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

City used to get knocked back all the time when they were rich for the first time, do you remember?

It happens, get over it.

I don't think we were knocked back, so much as unwilling to spend the money that kept rising. That's a judgement call on their part, though. I hope it pays off. If not, we've missed an opportunity to close the gap on those we're chasing.

I think most people would be pretty happy with that and another season of Suarez. We've been in this exact position towards the end of windows too often for me to be hopeful, though.

Wonder if we'll go back in for Eriksson. I know his agent said something about wanting Champions League football, but it's not like there's a stampede for his signature.

Yeah I was thinking of Eriksen. I know Rodgers has said that he would rather Coutinho player centrally but I think Eriksen is adaptable enough, and I think the way that we play wouldn't restrict Coutinho if he was to start on the left. Suarez is more than likely to start on the right, or left.

As I say, you start with a list - if those players refuse you can't do much about it. Rodgers has said he has found it difficult to attract the players he wants to attract, and unlike City we ain't gonna pay the wages to make us more palatable to the fitties!

In all fairness Atsu would have cost £10-15m if he wasn't in contract dispute, so I'd be fine with him.

Yeah I was thinking of Eriksen. I know Rodgers has said that he would rather Coutinho player centrally but I think Eriksen is adaptable enough, and I think the way that we play wouldn't restrict Coutinho if he was to start on the left. Suarez is more than likely to start on the right, or left.

As I say, you start with a list - if those players refuse you can't do much about it. Rodgers has said he has found it difficult to attract the players he wants to attract, and unlike City we ain't gonna pay the wages to make us more palatable to the fitties!

In all fairness Atsu would have cost £10-15m if he wasn't in contract dispute, so I'd be fine with him.

It happens, get over it.

Yeah, we're just like those other clubs. It's exactly the same. We can compete with anybody, innit.