You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All about timing and who is available in any given window of opportunity.

He might not have been available at the time, or Malaga might have suited him better at that moment.

I think it's often easy to think "we should have grabbed him", but there's so many other factors at play, it's just hard to be sure it was even possible (then). A bit like Guardiola to United, or even Mourinho to Chelsea.... had they not made Champions League, and RM won CL and the league... things might be very different.

If he does well, people will say "great choice", and if he doesn't, they'll all point to his questionable track record... it's questionable because it can be interpreted however anybody wants to interpret it, a bit like Redknapp's CV, or even Mancini's for that matter.

All about timing and who is available in any given window of opportunity.

He might not have been available at the time, or Malaga might have suited him better at that moment.

he had just been sacked by Real Madrid having got them a record points total and declared his interest in the job

Rafa shite on Europe because:

01/02: Valencia, did not qualify

Hmmm, didn't qualify for the CL, but got to the QF of the UEFA Cup.

02/03: Valencia, quarter final, lost to Inter

Inter, who lost in the semis to Milan, the eventual winners.

03/04: Valencia, did not qualify

No, but they did win the UEFA Cup - shit in Europe that Rafa...

04/05: Liverpool, winners

Shit in Europe that Rafa...

05/06: Liverpool, last 16, lost to Benfica

Benfica, who got knocked out in the next round by Barca, the eventual winners

06/07: Liverpool, final, lost to Milan

Lost a CL final - fucking shit in Europe that Rafa

07/08: Liverpool, semi final, lost to Chelsea

Reached a CL semi-final - fucking shit...

08/09: Liverpool, quarter finals, lost to Chelsea

What a disgrace!

09/10: Liverpool, knocked out of group stage

Finished behind a Fiorentina side who were knocked out on away goals by Bayern, eventual finalists, and Lyon who Bayern beat in the semi after they'd beaten Real Madrid and Bordeaux

10/11: Inter, sacked after struggling in shit group

Errr, no. He was sacked on 23 December for being shit in the league. He oversaw Inter qualifying from their CL group behind Spurs, who went on to beat Milan in the knockout round before they got dicked by Real Madrid. Inter actually got knocked out by Schalke in the QFs...

11/12: On the dole because he's shite

So irrelevant then...

12/13: Chelsea, knocked out of group stage

Having taken over from Di Matteo who'd already fucked up any chance they had of qualifying from their group...

You're a fucking meff Code.

20-kohlkojudsonip0.gif

he had just been sacked by Real Madrid having got them a record points total and declared his interest in the job

He couldn't handle the politics at Madrid, nor at River Plate, that is a big question mark against him . It was for us, it will certainly be for City. Maybe he can- but it is no given.

With Kenny wanting the job, it was not a big surprise that his application wasnt progressed when he saw him.

He couldn't handle the politics at Madrid, nor at River Plate, that is a big question mark against him . It was for us, it will certainly be for City. Maybe he can- but it is no given.

With Kenny wanting the job, it was not a big surprise that his application wasnt progressed when he saw him.

Xerxes, we've been through this before. You don't know anything about Manuel Pellegrini, remember?

Who knows then... money? just paper talk? too old? too foreign?

Who knows what goes through the minds of boards these days, and to be fair, we don't know the ins and outs of negotiations either.

I'm not sure I agree with Xerses 'couldn't handle the politics' claim. This could be pretty much be thrown at any manager who gets fired these days. There's always some sort of tension between someone at a club. Unless it's Everton, where it's more or less an incestuous love fest.

From what little I know of him, and it's very little, he seems to be Wenger type elder statesman. Intelligent and well mannered... although unlike Wenger, I believe he still has his vision intact.

I''m still half expecting Mourinho to jump out of the box and say "surprise!" any day soon. As mad as it sounds, it's all been so very quiet with him... something's cooking. He might fancy doing what he's always done... turning up at the last minute to add a bit of polish to an already decent team and claiming he's the alchemist!

From what FSG were spouting at the time - they wanted a young, ideally English manager, or certainly Premier experience, and to be fair to them, that seemed to be born out by those they were caught courting. So maybe Pellegrini was just a bit too old for their liking.

Who knows then... money? just paper talk? too old? too foreign?

Who knows what goes through the minds of boards these days, and to be fair, we don't know the ins and outs of negotiations either.

I'm not sure I agree with Xerses 'couldn't handle the politics' claim. This could be pretty much be thrown at any manager who gets fired these days. There's always some sort of tension between someone at a club. Unless it's Everton, where it's more or less an incestuous love fest.

From what little I know of him, and it's very little, he seems to be Wenger type elder statesman. Intelligent and well mannered... although unlike Wenger, I believe he still has his vision intact.

I''m still half expecting Mourinho to jump out of the box and say "surprise!" any day soon. As mad as it sounds, it's all been so very quiet with him... something's cooking. He might fancy doing what he's always done... turning up at the last minute to add a bit of polish to an already decent team and claiming he's the alchemist!

From what FSG were spouting at the time - they wanted a young, ideally English manager, or certainly Premier experience, and to be fair to them, that seemed to be born out by those they were caught courting. So maybe Pellegrini was just a bit too old for their liking.

We're talking before FSG's time. Apparently Kenny met with Pellegrini and wanted him as manager but Broughton, Purslow et al wanted Hodgson; who was seen as someone well respected in England, loved by the media and he would 'steady the ship' to make it easier to sell the club. When Kenny realised they were giving the job to Hodgson he threw his hat in the ring but Broughton, Purslow et al were having none of it and we were stuck with that arl cunt.

We had our choice and we chose wrong.

We're talking before FSG's time. Apparently Kenny met with Pellegrini and wanted him as manager but Broughton, Purslow et al wanted Hodgson; who was seen as someone well respected in England, loved by the media and he would 'steady the ship' to make it easier to sell the club. When Kenny realised they were giving the job to Hodgson he threw his hat in the ring but Broughton, Purslow et al were having none of it and we were stuck with that arl cunt.

We had our choice and we chose wrong.

Kenny didn't recommend Pelegrini. I wonder why?

He got 96 points with Real Madrid you berk. Nobody done that before. Couldnt handle the politics my arse.

If you could pick someone famous who you think represents a club who embodies what that club is about or who they are who would represent who.

For me this guy is man city and Chelsea combined into one.

Darryn-Lyons-on-Celebrity-008.jpg

He ain't earnt that shit its bought and paid for and is just ridiculous. Man city and Chelsea for me are just fake and ridiculous. Who gives a shit what manager they have their success doesn't stem from any footballing vision, a man building something through his own ability, its born of throwing insane amounts of cash in a short period. They may aswell have a Tom bola as a manager. They are fake muscles and I consign them to the footballing heap.

Smiley smiley face

He got 96 points with Real Madrid you berk. Nobody done that before. Couldnt handle the politics my arse.

You don't get it, do you?

The problem was not his ability to handle the on thr field stuff- self evidently that is pretty impressive. It is his ability with the off the field issues- which is equally self-evident.

According to most other people, he did. I think I'll trust most other people's opinions over yours, xerx. No offence.

I can assure you, in your case, none taken.

Either he didn't, recoomend him. In which case why? ( And there are good reasons)

Or he did, and failed to convince, in which case why?

Why ask KK to see him if you are not going to listen to what he has to say?

Draw your own conclusions.

Pellegrini could have been an inspired choice for us, but it was no given.

Those with little football knowledge choose to ignore his Boardroom problems at Madrid and River Plate which led to his dismissal, nothing to do with his football performance. I accept that such fall-outs happen, but at top clubs you have to be able to handle it, not fall victim to it.

His success has been in an exclusively Hispanic environment, could that be replicated in the PL ( Rafa did, Scholari failed)?

The appointment of Rodger's favoured someone who had all ready tasted the PL- there was no settling in preriod required. Critically, Rodgers was a very inexperienced football manager, someone whom FSG would not be in awe of, or in thrall too, unlike Pellegrini.

Also the support structure for Pellegrini as a foreign manager at Anfield would have been zero, Man City, with a DOF, and Marwood and Vierra around, (Platt has gone, what will happen to Kidd and lombardo is unknown) are in far better shape to give it a whirl.

If you could pick someone famous who you think represents a club who embodies what that club is about or who they are who would represent who.

He ain't earnt that shit its bought and paid for and is just ridiculous. Man city and Chelsea for me are just fake and ridiculous. Who gives a shit what manager they have their success doesn't stem from any footballing vision, a man building something through his own ability, its born of throwing insane amounts of cash in a short period. They may aswell have a Tom bola as a manager. They are fake muscles and I consign them to the footballing heap.

Smiley smiley face

I don't have the same issues with City as I do with Chelsea, obviously I'd prefer it if clubs were successful through proper building rather than just getting a shed load of money but thats the game these days but they don't seem to have the cunt factor that Chelsea do, maybe its because I'm willing them to do well whilst we're still a bit shit to piss the scum lot off

Smiley smiley face

I remember watching that and thinking at the time what a strange twisted vain thing to do to yourself, weird shit.

I think he's actually aware that he knows fuck all about this subject.Compulsive troll is compulsive.

Or perhaps the one thing you think you know, is wrong?

The facts are the facts, however inconvenient they are to your roughly assembled construction of reality.

Deny the circumstances of Pellegrini's departures from Madrid and River Plate if you wish- but it does not alter what happened.

Assume that someone who wants a job would recommend someone else for it in their place, it is rather touching, albeit divorced from the real world.