You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What would you argue for? All large breeds phased out? If so, where would you draw the line? Genuinely interested to hear what you think the solution is.

It's further back in the thread. Neuter all dogs who's healthy offspring would weigh over the limit. Then those breeds die out naturally. Say 5 kilos but certainly not 10.

• Upvote 1

It's further back in the thread. Neuter all dogs who's healthy offspring would weigh over the limit. Then those breeds die out naturally. Say 5 kilos but certainly not 10.

Milo, on deaths door last weekend, having not eaten or drank for 3/4 days weighed over 5kg. And he's an 18 year old jack russell.

What you're advocating is basically the end of all breeds in this country bar chihuahua's.

And anyone with a brain knows those cunts should be wiped out anyway.

• Upvote 1

Milo, on deaths door last weekend, having not eaten or drank for 3/4 days weighed over 5kg. And he's an 18 year old jack russell.

What you're advocating is basically the end of all breeds in this country bar chihuahua's.

Sorry to hear about Milo. Thinking of you guys

You'd fucking love mincing round Bristol wearing your pink polo and carrying a chihuahua in a bag.

I don't care about other people's children, or their lives.

My family has a man-eating dog and we love it.  And my family comes first.

(I hope you see what I did there)

If all dogs were under 5kg they´d soon be wiped out by fucking cats.

Just create a licence for dog owners, have much, much harsher punishments for cunt owners, and teach thick parents about how they, and their children, should act around a dog (re what Clarence said about parents letting their toddlers bear hug dogs).

• Upvote 2

It's pointless even discussing the issue, no laws that limit dogs are ever going to be implemented because dog owners care more about their dogs than other people's children.

To be fair, I care about my ipod more than other peoples children! 

Cheers mate, thought that was it last Sunday but these meds for his liver seem to be helping. He can at least eat drink and go to the toilet now.

He's not 100% but is loads better.

It was the liver that got Dorisz in the end. Having said that, after the first attack she recovered like Milo and lived another 18 months, so fingers crossed

It's pointless even discussing the issue, no laws that limit dogs are ever going to be implemented because dog owners care more about their dogs than other people's children.

I remember some woman in my old work fuming because, and I forget how we got to this conversation, she asked me if a house was on fire with my dog and her kids in who I would save first.  I said I'd save my dog because I had an emotional attachment to poor Stan and the kids were just the kids of someone I work with.

She was nearly in tears and stormed off 

I remember some woman in my old work fuming because, and I forget how we got to this conversation, she asked me if a house was on fire with my dog and her kids in who I would save first.  I said I'd save my dog because I had an emotional attachment to poor Stan and the kids were just the kids of someone I work with.

I would do exactly the same thing! I don't see why this is an 'issue'. Other people's children mean fuck all to me! 

Even if you meant it, you could have played the situation a bit better there Paulie!

If all dogs were under 5kg they´d soon be wiped out by fucking cats.

Just create a licence for dog owners, have much, much harsher punishments for cunt owners, and teach thick parents about how they, and their children, should act around a dog (re what Clarence said about parents letting their toddlers bear hug dogs).

Something like this would be a good way forward. Repped.

For the non dog people, I understand the call for the 5kg limit, but there's just no way it would get off the ground. There's thousands of years of human/dog partnership, cooperation and companionship, and countless households would be affected were such a drastic solution attempted. But I see no reason why the situation can't be improved with more accountability added for dog owners, and a bit more teaching and common sense for everyone when interacting with dogs.

I think Rico is the only one suggesting the weight/size thing on here.

Personally I made my thoughts clear earlier in the thread, find the 10 or 20 breeds of dog most likely to attack people & start phasing them out of circulation in terms of public ownership. Yes, people would still have them illegally but if they took them out for a walk they would be risking getting lifted & have the dog taken from them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/smiling-faces-children-mauled-death-8664766

Kids should be able to play in our streets & sleep in their houses without fear of being attacked by some crazed animal quite frankly.

I think Rico is the only one suggesting the weight/size thing on here.

Personally I made my thoughts clear earlier in the thread, find the 10 or 20 breeds of dog most likely to attack people & start phasing them out of circulation in terms of public ownership. Yes, people would still have them illegally but if they took them out for a walk they would be risking getting lifted & have the dog taken from them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/smiling-faces-children-mauled-death-8664766

Kids should be able to play in our streets & sleep in their houses without fear of being attacked by some crazed animal quite frankly.

Isn't that one of the problems? What about cross breeds, what % of a banned breed has to be present to constitute a banned breed? You'd need expensive DNA tests and kennelling whilst they are done.

Set of scales and bobs your uncle.

If there were licenses/microchips and suitable punishments in place, unattended dogs in the street could easily be taken care of.

Widening it out a bit, I would make a law to say that dogs need to be on a lead in built up areas. The exception would be dog parks, where the owner could let the dog off the lead to run, exercise, and socialize with other dogs. You could have a section of the park that would be for this purpose. Perhaps for the dogs most likely to cause injury if they are not controlled well, you could add a public muzzle law.

All of this could be enforced by dog wardens with proper powers to act. This could be paid for, or heavily subsidized at least, by the fees collected for dog licenses. Previously a dog license was pennies, and a bit of a joke. It should be £25 or more to my mind, and given the cost of buying and owning a dog, that wouldn't be out of place.

All the above assumes there is enough public will to solve the problem.

Isn't that one of the problems? What about cross breeds, what % of a banned breed has to be present to constitute a banned breed? You'd need expensive DNA tests and kennelling whilst they are done.

Set of scales and bobs your uncle.

Ban cross breeding then, I know you have it in Manchester but I find it cruel & disgusting myself.

• Upvote 1

My dog is a cross breed.  She is part American Staffy and part Pit Bull.

Legal restrictions where I live mean the dog can't leave the house without a muzzle on and can never be off lead.

I ignore these laws because I know my dog.  She does look tough, though, I'll give them that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1