You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm pretty sure there are existing laws dealing with knives, especially stabbing.

Look, a small dog will give you just as much companionship as a big one. Unless you need a big dog to feel better about yourself. In your example are you walking this dog? Does it ever go outside? Then its society's problem.

I know my solution would never happen but I'm yet to see a single valid argument against it. In 20 years it'd be completely normal and no one would be bothered.

Guide dogs

Obviously you can't just look at deaths when it comes to dog attacks.

What I love is the feigned disbelief when owners shout at their dogs when they don't listen. Like they can't get their head around why a creature without rationality doesn't understand the basic concepts of obedience etc.

• Upvote 1

Its no different to anything else with the ability to hurt something. Put it in the hands of a idiot and it becomes potentially dangerous.

How many med/large dogs in this country vs how many attacks. Its tiny.

Its no different to anything else with the ability to hurt something. Put it in the hands of a idiot and it becomes potentially dangerous.

It is always potentially dangerous mate, no matter who the owner is. I know a family with a super friendly large dog, grew up with their kids, all fine. Until one day he bites their third small son in the head just like that.

• Upvote 1

There's no point in debating this with dog people, they make it very clear that their right to own a potentially dangerous dog means more to them than the safety of children up & down the country & that's all there is to it really.

Bringing knives, horses & cows into it is whataboutery of the highest level, surely each problem should be addressed on its own merits.

• Upvote 2

I still see it as the same as owning a horse. There is a risk,going skiing etc.

Nobody should be telling you if you can or cannot own a large dog.

I have worked with litteraly hundreds of dogs when i worked in kennels while and just after school. Had two issues in all that time,a Yorkshire terrier and a collie.

Never attacks,snarled at etc from any of the larger dogs.

There's no point in debating this with dog people, they make it very clear that their right to own a potentially dangerous dog means more to them than the safety of children up & down the country & that's all there is to it really.

Bringing knives, horses & cows into it is whataboutery of the highest level, surely each problem should be addressed on its own merits.

Why

You want to ban people owning a animal because there have been a small number (compared to the numbers owned) of attacks. Whats the difference in terms of dangers to yourself and the public if if its a dog or a horse. Horse cause plenty of traffic accidents,thrown plenty of kids off them causing serious injuries and death.

You cant be using Rico excuse thats it their choice when they cause road accident.

Why

You want to ban people owning a animal because there have been a small number (compared to the numbers owned) of attacks. Whats the difference in terms of dangers to yourself and the public if if its a dog or a horse. Horse cause plenty of traffic accidents,thrown plenty of kids off them causing serious injuries and death.

You cant be using Rico excuse thats it their choice when they cause road accident.

I don't think I dislike large dogs, I'm kind of ambivalent about them really. I don't like dickheads who let them jump at me and bite me when I'm running.

I know I don't like reading about children being torn to pieces and think there's a simple way of drastically reducing those numbers whilst keeping the number of dogs owned exactly the same. In loads of these attacks you hear about people being unable to get the dog off the victim. Not a problem if it's a little one.

If you want a doggy companion you can have one, it'll just be smaller. Working dogs would be an obvious exception where necessary (you know, like we can't have guns but the police can).

can you tell me what the difference is between owning a small dog and a large one? I mean for you.

Agree on horses, dangerous on the roads.

Equally, there's no point debating it with people who don't keep or (apparently) understand dogs/dog ownership.

The vast majority of bites are preventable with proper care and attention, and most occur due to human error - rather than some kind of innate aggression from the dog's part.

Wiping out vast swathes of a species of animal based on sensationalist stories about a minuscule amount of attacks seems a completely abhorrent idea, to me.

Why

What have car accidents or horses got to do with children being mauled by dangerous dogs?

I would have more respect for your points if they were relevant to the topic in hand but while you're busy changing the subject, how many horses have killed children who are playing in the street or in their house in the last 8 years?

And on cars, personally I would have no issue with them being banned as I don't own one but I think people tend to be more dependant on cars than they are on dogs these days (clearly I'm not referring to guide dogs - which are a special case & should be treated accordingly).

Equally, there's no point debating it with people who don't keep or (apparently) understand dogs/dog ownership.

The vast majority of bites are preventable with proper care and attention, and most occur due to human error - rather than some kind of innate aggression from the dog's part.

Wiping out vast swathes of a species of animal based on sensationalist stories about a minuscule amount of attacks seems a completely abhorrent idea, to me.

Who's wiping them out? They'd still exist all over the world. And they are completely man made aren't they? Did nature produce the Pomeranian?

Sensationalism? Jesus.

• Upvote 1

Ok you tell me what's the difference between owning a big dog or a little one. I'm interested.

We've got four banned breeds/types in this country as it is, and despite that, they're still here. The criminal underworld will get their hands on things no matter what, and if anything, by banning those dog breeds they made them more appealing, particularly the most notorious in the pit bull. Things are unpoliceable already, banning more would only make that even more so the case.

Ok you tell me what's the difference between owning a big dog or a little one. I'm interested.

Different breeds of dog have different personalities. I like small dogs, myself, but in general they seem reported to be less obedient, more anxious and fearful and more aggressive and excitable. Larger dogs require more care, but are generally fun loving and friendly. Also any behavioural issues are less likely to be tolerated in large dogs and you'll mostly find they are better trained.

There's no reason, providing you are able to see to its care in a dedicated and loving manner, to not choose a large dog over a small one.

• Upvote 1

I'm not advocating killing anything. Phase them out. Make it law all dogs whose healthy offspring would be over x kg in adulthood have to be neutered by y date.

I've just googled and a staffy weighs 11-17kg, I'm saying about 5kgs.

Everyone gets to have a dog, fewer people die.

Even Jack Russell's weigh over 5kg

Different breeds of dog have different personalities. I like small dogs, myself, but in general they seem reported to be less obedient, more anxious and fearful and more aggressive and excitable. Larger dogs require more care, but are generally fun loving and friendly. Also any behavioural issues are less likely to be tolerated in large dogs and you'll mostly find they are better trained.

There's no reason, providing you are able to see to its care in a dedicated and loving manner, to not choose a large dog over a small one.

All those characteristics are bred into the breeds. Make new breeds.