You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Some people use the philosophy of can it feel pain? Scientists say fish don't have a central nervous system that can process pain. I personally think that's bullshit because if you've ever seen a big fish being attacked by a shark or any other predator, it shits itself and does everything in it's power to escape. How would it know it's being bitten if it doesn't feel pain?

Sheep can't feel pain if you give them the  Anton Chigurh treatment right in the back of the head.

What I don't get is meaties pontificating over the vagaries of vegetarianism, especially the moral side of it when they eat the lot

I don't really eat fish. It's not a moral thing I just don't like most of it, especially seafood. There are only a few animals I do eat. This means that a person claiming to be vegetarian that eats fish actually eats more variety of animals than me, a non vegetarian.

I don't get why people try to define themselves as something they are not. I am not a vegetarian and neither are fish eaters. Just eat what the fuck you like and are comfortable with.

I was watching this video the other day about the wool industry and it's really traumatised me. The bird in it is sensational though. I keep getting these Nam style flashbacks, but instead of it being about a foxhole or Napalm, it's about a sheep getting choke slammed into the ground like something out of Royal Rumble. Fuck.

• Upvote 1

I don't really eat fish. It's not a moral thing I just don't like most of it, especially seafood. There are only a few animals I do eat. This means that a person claiming to be vegetarian that eats fish actually eats more variety of animals than me, a non vegetarian.

I don't get why people try to define themselves as something they are not. I am not a vegetarian and neither are fish eaters. Just eat what the fuck you like and are comfortable with.

I don't eat fish but don't mind veggies that do calling themselves Vegetarian. Most people don't know what a Pescetarian is and it's just easier to say Vegetarian. The only people it ever seems to bother are Meat eaters as usual, getting het up by what other people eat.

Some people use the philosophy of can it feel pain? Scientists say fish don't have a central nervous system that can process pain. I personally think that's bullshit because if you've ever seen a big fish being attacked by a shark or any other predator, it shits itself and does everything in it's power to escape. How would it know it's being bitten if it doesn't feel pain?

Ive seen Seals,Penguins,Sea Birds and stuff shitting themselves when being attacked my a big shark but they are mammals and not fish. Fish just seem to try and get out the way.

I don't eat fish but don't mind veggies that do calling themselves Vegetarian. Most people don't know what a Pescetarian is and it's just easier to say Vegetarian. The only people it ever seems to bother are Meat eaters as usual, getting het up by what other people eat.

It's easier to say I eat fish than vegetarian. Less syllables.

The only people I know who judge others on what they eat are vegans. They are all mental though.

• Upvote 1

I was watching this video the other day about the wool industry and it's really traumatised me. The bird in it is sensational though.

Yeah she's unreal, agreed. Have seen videos on her channel in the past too, the chicken one was the one that traumatised me when I saw the neck-slicing conveyer belts. I actually thought it was a bit ott showing that out of nowhere when a few or most of her other videos weren't so shocking, but it's the truth and she's vegan as far as I remember, so fair enough.

How do you veggies square eating eggs when 99% of male chickens are minced?

Stuff like that just makes me lean closer to switching to vegan. Have been used to veggie for a few years now, so if I learn enough soon about how to get nutrients properly from vegan foods I might make that switch. I don't rely on supplements for most vitamins and minerals because a lot of them are synthetic in a bad way (standard multivitamin and mineral supplements for instance, contain some right shite as far as I know after reading around recently), so am in the process of sorting my diet out more then should think about that more seriously.

Thanks for mentioning it.

• Upvote 2

Just about to eat some eggs too, awesome. The more I get put off them, the better in the long run I suppose. The only alternative would be to find a truly good local provider that just keeps tons of chickens and doesn't kill males, but that could be hard. Might look into that too though.

I had a stunning piece of battered cod last night. If I was veggie I'd probably miss bacon and fish only. Chicken is meh, and I tend not to eat a lot of red meat unless it's a really good slab of steak that barely touches the pan.

could easily give up any meat bar fish. smoked haddock? reckon it  would be my last meal on death row