You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Wow. Just had some of that soup, and I think it's probably the biggest cooking fluke I've ever pulled off. It was a little bit too plain tasting, but once I added some salt it just tasted awesome. Glad I've noted down the ingredients here because I'm going to need them I think, might start making soups as often as possible now.

You mean Burgen I guess? If so I tried some of that not so long back. It was nice, but it had soya in with linseed, and I'm really edgy about having soya if it's not fermented. They do other types though after having checked so will probably try one out if I see one in the near future.

Burgen, yes. My predictive text thinks it's the edible city in Norway.

Trust you to buy into soy scare stories. People have been eating soya for 3,000 years, mainly Chinese people, the most fertile people on the planet

Burgen, yes. My predictive text thinks it's the edible city in Norway.

Trust you to buy into soy scare stories. People have been eating soya for 3,000 years, mainly Chinese people, the most fertile people on the planet

Yep, and they've fermented it for a big part, as far as I can tell. I'm fine with fermented, just not sure about unfermented.

edit : actually I could have that wrong and they might mix it up. I'm probably getting this from soy sauce, miso, etc. Will have a look further into it.

Fuck me, just reading Simon's contributions to this thread. 

Anyway, I did about 3 months pescetarian a few years ago - didn't feel much benefit. Cooking for myself I don't tend to go for a lot of meat, or at least red meat.

Crispy Duck with Hoi Sin broke me. I could live without steak (only really have it in restaurants for a treat as I tend to spoil it), mince and burgers.  Crispy Bacon barm after a night on the sauce is also tough to resist.

The downside of the diet I had was eating loads of cheese - hardly a healthy option. 

• 3 weeks later...

Made that soup as well, it turned out ok I think. Used : mung beans, lentils, carrots, red onion, garlic, chopped Italian tomatoes, tomato puree, shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, butter, olive oil, and some tarragon and sage.

Made almost the same again, but forgot the mushrooms (gahhh) and added fresh chilli and coriander. Definitely one of my favourite foods now, loved it.

Wether you agree or not you wanting Quorn Burgers is the same as saying you want a burger you know because they are supposed to taste and look like actual Beef Burgers. Do yous not think that the animals will be slaughtered no matter what you and the people not eating them is making that slaughter for nothing. My issues with Slaughtering is everything isn't used. I tend to use and buy un popular bits of meat.

A dog's johnson.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Fuck, June since this was last posted in? Thought it was way more recent. Decided to try and cook something different. This might also be fine for ketos too with it having low/fairly low carbs (as far as I can tell anyway.) :

Chop up and boil a full cauliflower, then mash it like you would for mashed potato, add some salt and butter too.

Chop a couple of carrots up into small bits, same with an onion, then boil both and add to mashed cauliflower.

Put enough into an oven bowl so that it's about halfway to the top, then add some olive oil.

Then make beans. Wash crap off, add tomato puree, turmeric, ginger, quite a lot of black pepper. So that it'd be too peppery to eat normally (this was a mistake, but I went with it.) but fine when eaten as part of the final thing.

Chop up into small slices about 4 cloves of garlic, put on top of the mashed cauli/carrots/onion.

Add beans next.

On top of that, enough sliced mushroom so that it covers most of the top.

Then slice enough cheese so that it covers the top, and cook in oven.

Just had some of it with some salt, butter and mayo, and thought it was great. Might make it again in the near future, and stick with the extra black pepper too as I think it worked out.

My brother was at the reduced section in tesco the other day and got a pack of butternut squash & sweet potato (I didn't think much of it and thought it'd be fairly boring and tasteless really.) He decided he didn't want them so I just cooked and mashed them, added a few sprouts, a carrot, (both boiled, then chopped up into bits and mixed into the mash) then salt and butter mainly.

More or less completely basic, but wow, it tasted amazing. It's odd to still find such simple things like this that taste so good. Stacked with vitamins and minerals as well, and not too bad with carbs. Definitely wanting to start using those fairly often now.

• Upvote 1

Get yourself a cheap metal pan steer mate. It cooks the butternut squash nicely and quicker than roasting it. Go for the fresh unprepared one too

Sorry, a pan steer? I'm really clueless with cooking equipment so no idea what that is. I did boil the squash and potato too, it ended up ready quite a bit quicker than I thought as well (maybe sweet potato boils quicker than normal potato, or the stuff was already going off so easier!)

Sorry typo Pan steamer.

You don't loose any flavour as the squash doesn't touch any water.

No probs, and thanks, will probably have a look at one soon as I could really do with some stuff to help cook things better. I don't even have a fucking blender, really need one of those too to help thicken curries up better.

Looking at some of RPs cooking exploits, it occurs to me that theres a common theme emerging.

"I had all these vegetables, and then I added salt, butter and other things and they tasted amazing!"

Yeah, like salt and butter mostly. Have you tried popcorn? You'd love it. Honestly. Just got to put some salt and butter on it and you're away.

Looking at some of RPs cooking exploits, it occurs to me that theres a common theme emerging.

"I had all these vegetables, and then I added salt, butter and other things and they tasted amazing!"

Yeah, like salt and butter mostly. Have you tried popcorn? You'd love it. Honestly. Just got to put some salt and butter on it and you're away.

Bullshit! I know what I'm doing. Gordon Ramsay would shit himself if he had people like me to compete with.

(too many carbs in popcorn too.)

• Upvote 1

To be honest my main aim has been to try and learn about good and bad foods so far. Or what foods are good for specific vitamins and minerals in many cases, what fats are good and bad, and so on.

Once I've done that I don't really care how they're cooked and just experiment. That's why I'm still pretty crap at cooking. I don't think I'll ever be a great cook or anything, I'm just interested in eating good food when I can, and cutting out what isn't as much as possible. There's only one type of food that I'm actually interested in making well I think, and that's curry (slowly progressing with that I think.)

Try cooking dahl if you want a cheap curry like dish. Its more filling than a proper curry too. Its pretty much as simple as simmering lentils and water and quickly frying a few ingredients in a pan and combining.

I make it with coconut milk.  Lentils, curry leaves, garlic, onion, chilli.

Only needs one pan to keep all the flavour in.

Try cooking dahl if you want a cheap curry like dish. Its more filling than a proper curry too. Its pretty much as simple as simmering lentils and water and quickly frying a few ingredients in a pan and combining.

Have made something similar a couple of times recently, and thanks for the reminder. Mainly by boiling the lentils though and slowly adding a few other ingredients as it thickens up over time. Am wanting to make it better though so will probably be back at that soon too. Would mainly add the garlic and onion like Jose has mentioned above, also some turmeric and coriander I think.

And incase General is getting worried : some salt and butter too of course.