You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Different agent - He signed the contract in January 2016.

In summer 2016, PSG and Barcelona showed interest. He then sacked his agent and hired Kia Joorabchian and Giuliano Bertolucci to become his new agents.

They don't earn very much while he stays at Liverpool.

Everything in the Spanish media and everything that Coutinho does is at their behest. Their aim is to get him to Barcelona and pocket a fat fee. And it's working - LFC fans have already gone from complete refusal to sell to acceptance to sell in the summer when he still has 4 years remaining on his contract. They are good at their job, which is why he hired them.

Has there ever been a case of a club holding a want away player to the full term of their 5 year contract with the player only a year and a bit into the deal because i do not know of one instance.

End of the day reality has to come into it. The club have let players go at sometime once they signal they want to leave. Every other clubs seems to accept it to so no it is not just the club or fans. It is the reality. Hopefully he stays to the summer. I am very happy for the club to keep him until then even if he does not kick a ball for the first team again. Then Barcelona dance to our tune and if they want him it is minimum £150m up front in cash in the first week of the summer window. If not do one.

• Upvote 1

Why is a spoilt cunt? He wanted to move, we said no and he's done nothing but be professional and if anything played better. He can't control the media and the shire they spout.

I've said it before, but if he just comes out and says "yes, I wanted to join barca, now I am committed for the season to Liverpool, I will not leave in January and I am focusing on my club form to ensure I'm in the best possible position to play in the world cup. Once the world cup is over I can look at it again". It finishes it there and then and we get on with our season. Instead, he's choosing to leave the door open because he's like all these selfish twats who play football and it allows the media to disrupt our season.

• Upvote 2

He's leaving.  It's a matter of when.  A deal done now for him to leave in the summer is absolutely fine by me.  He's very good, but he's not Suarez level important to how we play.  He can be replaced.

As I've said before, I think Klopp would have been fine with him leaving at the start of the summer window; the whole thing just happened far too late.

The trouble is Barcelona don't want to cough up our valuation of the player so expect another low bid.

Will Henry really under sell in the Winter\Summer when Coutinho has a further 4 years to run on his contract?

He's very good, but he's not Suarez level important to how we play. He can be replaced.

Disagree with this big-time. Apart from Salah, he's our only consistent link between defense and attack, and the only player in MF always wanting the ball. Hopefully Keita will bring some of the same qualities once Phil leaves.

Yeah he is pretty much our only midfielder with any real guile, the only one with a destructive passing range/ability to link play and the only one with real goal threat/is a match winner.

He is not irreplaceable (nobody is) but he is in a class of his own when it comes to our midfield and of course is absolutely integral to how we play and his exit weakens us massively - the front 3 are great but are greater when he plays and is on it, not to mention his own goals.

. which is why we must ensure he leaves on our terms when we are 'happy' and for the right fee. Which must be re-invested properly to stop the typical one step forward, two steps back that has become The Liverpool Way!

Really do not see how Lemar is a replacement. Unless we are switching the formation.

I could easily see Lemar as a like for like replacement, he plays in the same positions (LW and LCM), but he does have different qualities.

Pointless trying to find direct doppelgangers of great players like Gerrard, Suarez and yes, even Coutinho, because they just don't exist. I'm 100% certain that Kloppo has planned for this for months and knows exactly who he wants to replace him, and how he wants us to play.

KLOPP UNINTERESTED IN COUTINHO AD

Jurgen Klopp says he "couldn't be less interested" in Nike mistakenly advertising Barcelona shirts on their website featuring Philippe Coutinho's name.

An advert, which has now been taken down, appeared on the Spanish club's website titled "Where the magic happens", and featuring the words: "Philippe Coutinho is ready to light up Camp Nou. Get your 2017/18 FC Barcelona kit with the Magician's name on it."

However, speaking after Liverpool's 2-1 win at Burnley on New Year's Day, a dismissive Klopp said: "I heard about it. I couldn't be less interested in anything in the world. But somebody told me and I thought 'wow'. Top story."

He's gone. There's no way in the world FSG spend £75m on a player without the money coming in from the Coutinho sale. The fans fall for this shit every time, crowing about FSG "making a statement" with Van Dijk. It's the same rehashed sell to buy policy we had under Cancer & Aids. One step forwards, two steps back. The Liverpool Way.

Not exactly surprising, but this post is completely unfair. This is a player who faked an injury in order to increase his chances of leaving. It's impossible to keep a player who does this kind of stuff in the long term.

It's very easy to look at the van Dijk transfer and Coutinho sale independently if you aren't completely miserable. 

• Upvote 1

Why is a spoilt cunt? He wanted to move, we said no and he's done nothing but be professional and if anything played better. He can't control the media and the shire they spout.

He wasn’t professional though was he? He pretended to have a bad back at the beginning of the season and did it all the day before the season started. He has played well since then but that is the least you expect off a professional footballer and that’s to actually try! What he can control is the situation, come out publicly instead of being a shithouse and doing it all through his agent and the media, at least Sterling had the bottle to be a prick in public.

If he’s really refused to play for us again. I’d be well up for telling Barca he’s yours the end of the season for slightly less than being reported of say £100m, you pay his wages the rest of the season and then put him in the U23s and see if Brazil still take him to the World Cup.

If he hasn’t refused, I’m sorry Phil, as you were! Keep scoring 30 yard screamers and ignore dickheads like me!

Coutinho will not be “fit” for the the FA Cup game on Friday vs Everton. On future: LFC’s tone has changed -it seems they are open to all the options. Sell now, sell now for the summer. Keeping him beyond then seems the very last option. But no offer from FBC has arrived... yet

Guillemots Ballbag on Twatter

I could easily see Lemar as a like for like replacement, he plays in the same positions (LW and LCM), but he does have different qualities.

Pointless trying to find direct doppelgangers of great players like Gerrard, Suarez and yes, even Coutinho, because they just don't exist. I'm 100% certain that Kloppo has planned for this for months and knows exactly who he wants to replace him, and how he wants us to play.

I have only seen Lemar wide left.

I was really impressed but it was always about his ability to get some of the best deliveries into the box i had seen in a long time. Just not sure how that fits into a team without a focal point in the box.

I have only seen Lemar wide left.

I was really impressed but it was always about his ability to get some of the best deliveries into the box i had seen in a long time. Just not sure how that fits into a team without a focal point in the box.

You are correct there. His main strength is the service he can provide to a striker and then he's really good at forging a partnership with his left back and creating havoc on his wing. His relationship with Mendy last year was exceptional.

James Pearce is poo-poo'ing the Sport (or whatever Spanish paper it was) report.

He stops short of saying that Coutinho will definitely not leave in January. But, he reiterates that Coutinho has a contract until 2020, that Barcelona haven't made an offer as of yet and that the Spanish press reports that Coutinho has played his last game for us have not been conveyed to Klopp and that Coutinho, fitness permitting, remains in Klopp's selection plans.

I don't think that this is a question on whether he leaves. He will leave.

I think the question is how much. Barca will want him to cause trouble reducing the fee. To sell in January we would want a premium (plus inconvenience). So it may be a Keita type deal.

My personal view is that his importance is to us is obvious, but is overstated, and that if circa £130m bid comes in then sell him. They are paying a premium for a player who can assist them win a league that they have already won.

All the journo's who were previously saying no chance are now saying we will listen to offers, if that now or in the summer. I guess the issue is and always will be barca don't have the cash to make this interesting for LFC. Coutinho can want his move all he likes, but him and that cunt of an agent of his need to make barca realise it's time to shit or get off the pot. It's clear LFC have opened the door to a deal now, player in the summer deal, so it's time for all this shit to stop and get on with a serious offer. If I was I was in charge of LFC, I'd be telling barca they have till the weekend to get a serious offer on the table or we'll go to uefa about tapping up our player. With us and AM putting in complaints, they could be banned from transfers by the summer.

James Pearce is poo-poo'ing the Sport (or whatever Spanish paper it was) report.

He stops short of saying that Coutinho will definitely not leave in January. But, he reiterates that Coutinho has a contract until 2020, that Barcelona haven't made an offer as of yet and that the Spanish press reports that Coutinho has played his last game for us have not been conveyed to Klopp and that Coutinho, fitness permitting, remains in Klopp's selection plans.

Maybe the Liverpool stance has changed slightly as maybe they know Barcelona cant afford him? If we are "open to offers" then Phil can't turn round and say we stood in his way when Barca come low balling or even not at all if they end up looking elsewhere.