You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The fact is that most of them are. Just look at how 'successful' their national team is compared to their counterparts in the likes of Spain,Italy,Germany etc.

Name me another decent English GK apart from Joe Hart?

Yeah, there's a reason most Premier League sides have foreign keepers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nationality has very little to do with how good a player is. I wish people would judge players on how good they are, rather than the name of the ground beneath their mother's vagina when the passed through it.

Jack Butland could just as easily be the next David Seaman as the next Paul Green.

Nationality has very little to do with how good a player is. I wish people would judge players on how good they are, rather than the name of the ground beneath their mother's vagina when the passed through it.

Jack Butland could just as easily be the next David Seaman as the next Paul Green.

It just happens that the vast majority of world class players are NOT English.

In particular GKs.

Guest San Don

The reason most PL teams have a 'foreign' keeper has fuck all to do with nationality. Only a fucking imbecile would suggest that.

With the advent of the PL, lots of kids imagine themselves as the star striker or attacking midfielder of their favourite club. Few kids set out wanting to be the star defender or keeper.

Foreign keeper tend not to like coming for crosses in a crowded box and when they do, they all tend to punch the ball rather than catch it. So so that it is becoming a dieing art for a keeper to actually come and catch the fucking thing unless the keeper sees he's going to be unchallenged.

Lots of these keepers also fail to command the 6 yard area such that many keepers today are referred to a shot stoppers and not a lot else.

Guest San Don

In particular GKs.

You can use that arguement to any position on the field simple because you're looking at one nationality to many others.

You can use that arguement to any position on the field simple because you're looking at one nationality to many others.

Fair point but the original argument was that English players arent shit,especially GKs.

I think there are very few decent English players in any position and they are well overpriced compared to their overseas counterparts.

Just look at our recent dealings regarding Carroll,Downing and Henderson(who I quite like but realise was well overpriced compared to others we have bought in the past in the same position.)

Germany have a fair few decent GKs at the moment though.

It is odd that German teams often have German keepers, and Spanish teams have Spanish keepers. Its almost as if they produce more high quality keepers.

If foreign keepers are shit at coming for crosses, why the fuck would so many English clubs have a foreign keeper?

San Mong, always wrong.

It is odd that German teams often have German keepers, and Spanish teams have Spanish keepers. Its almost as if they produce more high quality keepers.

They produce higher quality players everywhere on the pitch. Still doesn't mean all English players are automatically shit.

They produce higher quality players everywhere on the pitch. Still doesn't mean all English players are automatically shit.

No,not all of course but the gist is that most other national leagues have a higher percentage of their own nationality players in their leagues and are still more successful than England internationally.

I'm all for more English players in the PL and the Liverpool side too but if we are going to buy players to compliment our homegrown ones then foreigners are usually both technically better and are also better value for money.

It seems FSG are obsessed with these Fair Play regulations while others are looking to skirt r ignore them and simply buy the best available players regardless of their nationality.

Love the guy and what he's done for us in the past but, i'm really started to ask myself whether it would be best if we sold him in the summer. He just looks a shadow of his former self, incapable of making the easiest of saves at times. Everytime the opposition shoot at goal these days I get that horrible feeling they're goin to score. Whats happened to him? He's been like this for a few seasons now and he doesn't seem to be getting any better. Even his distribution and kicking which used to be one of his strong points is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Thoughts?
|Ya sell him and buy some wipper snapper! the guy is only 30. no need to sell him what so ever. we wouldnt get a quality replacement any were. :wallbutt:

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In particular GKs.

The vast majority of people aren't English. I'd say just about about as many world class keepers are English as are Spanish.

It's really quite mindless. If you don't want Butland, that's fine. Doesn't bother me. It'd just be nice if it wasn't based in a totally arbitrary measurement.

Keepers in the PL 12/13:

1 Manchester United: Denmark, Spain

2 Manchester City: England, Romania

3 Tottenham: France, USA

4 Chelsea: Czech Rep, England

5 Everton: USA, Slovakia

6 Arsenal: Poland, Italy

7 West Bromwich Albion: England, Wales

8 Liverpool: Spain, Australia

9 Swansea: Netherlands, Germany

10 Stoke: Bosnia, Denmark

11 West Ham: Finland, Switzerland

12 Norwich: England, England

13 Fulham: Australia, England

14 Sunderland: Belgium, Ireland

15 Newcastle United: Netherlands, England

16 Aston Villa: USA, Ireland

17 Southampton: Poland, Spain

18 Wigan: Oman, England

19 Reading: Australia, England

20 Queens Park Rangers: Brazil, England

So thats 3 out of 20 teams with an English first choice keeper, a true reflection of their ability I'd say.

It just happens that the vast majority of world class players are NOT English.In particular GKs.

The vast majority of world class players are from no exclusive nationality- by their very nature. Gnashing our teeth because England, one amongst 196 countries ,does not produce the vast majority fo world class players is an exercise in futile wasted emotion.

Goalkeepers are a rare breed because there is only one of them, invariably outfield players are designated world class in a strata of play; forward, midfield, defender.

World class goalkeepers are very rare full stop.

I think Pepe is a great sweeper but he is not the best shot stopper imo. It seems if you have a shot on target away from him you have a chance.

He was exceptional in the past but I think he has lost it a bit. We are not like we were under Rafa and the times where the other team barely had a shot have gone. I think we probably need a shot stopper now.

However, he made a great reflex save the other night which gave me hope but he just doesnt seem to be able to stretch and make the world class saves that are required

When Cech was on form he seemed to be able to dive across the goal and stop anything going on, I just don't think Pepe can cover the goal like that

Keepers in the PL 12/13:

1 Manchester United: Denmark, Spain

2 Manchester City: England, Romania

3 Tottenham: France, USA

4 Chelsea: Czech Rep, England

5 Everton: USA, Slovakia

6 Arsenal: Poland, Italy

7 West Bromwich Albion: England, Wales

8 Liverpool: Spain, Australia

9 Swansea: Netherlands, Germany

10 Stoke: Bosnia, Denmark

11 West Ham: Finland, Switzerland

12 Norwich: England, England

13 Fulham: Australia, England

14 Sunderland: Belgium, Ireland

15 Newcastle United: Netherlands, England

16 Aston Villa: USA, Ireland

17 Southampton: Poland, Spain

18 Wigan: Oman, England

19 Reading: Australia, England

20 Queens Park Rangers: Brazil, England

So thats 3 out of 20 teams with an English first choice keeper, a true reflection of their ability I'd say.

How are all of those world class Norwegian players doing, again?

Pepe is a class player in poor form. I think we should try our best to get him out of this rut to perform at the best of his ability. We know he can do it as he's proven to us for 5-6 seasons, that he's one of the best in the world.

His ability is beyond doubt, but the motivation for him to "go," with the chase for honours seemingly beyond him, is in question.

The case for him being world class is over stated.le has played second fiddle to Casillas in the Spanish national side rarely having a chance to establish his credentilas in ther games that count. At club level he has one league cup and one FA Cup of serious note to his credit which for a 30 year old is pretty modest.

He has been away from home for a long time now, some seven years, and i wonder whether that is playing an increasing factor.

His ability is beyond doubt' date=' but the motivation for him to "go," with the chase for honours seemingly beyond him, is in question.

The case for him being world class is over stated.le has played second fiddle to Casillas in the Spanish national side rarely having a chance to establish his credentilas in ther games that count. At club level he has one league cup and one FA Cup of serious note to his credit which for a 30 year old is pretty modest.

He has been away from home for a long time now, some seven years, and i wonder whether that is playing an increasing factor.[/quote']

I don't think it's fair to judge a goal keeper on trophies. Otherwise, Victor Valdez would be the best in the world.

He was an excellent goalkeeper. He was strong, athletic, consistent, very vocal and commanding. He has lost his consistency and is now prone to making silly mistakes every now and again, but I'm sure that can be coached out.

I don't think it's fair to judge a goal keeper on trophies. Otherwise, Victor Valdez would be the best in the world.

He was an excellent goalkeeper. He was strong, athletic, consistent, very vocal and commanding. He has lost his consistency and is now prone to making silly mistakes every now and again, but I'm sure that can be coached out.

He is a very good goalkeeper -without question.

For me the phrase "world class" is used sparingly for thoe who have played, and performed with distinction in the highest tests. pepe somply has not had the chance to do that.

I am not sure that this is a coaching issue- I think it is a motivational one.

The vast majority of people aren't English. I'd say just about about as many world class keepers are English as are Spanish.

It's really quite mindless. If you don't want Butland' date=' that's fine. Doesn't bother me. It'd just be nice if it wasn't based in a totally arbitrary measurement.[/quote']

I reckon England have 1 world class GKs compared to Spain's 4 or 5 minimum and Germany's 4 or 5. This puts English GKs on a par with some of the worlds lesser nations in terms of GKs.

I don't know a lot about Butland but I don't want ANY English GKs at the club as I think there are far better and more overseas GKs who would also be better value for money.

I actually don't want to get rid of Reina and reckon we should only be looking for a back up GK and nothing more.

You are also forgetting that the Premier league pays some of the biggest wages and is supposed to be the best in the world.

I simply reckon that this doesn't guarantee the best players and particularly the best English players to compete for their country.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

5 world class Spanish keepers? Ok. I don't want to beat around the bush, so I'll be dead clear: Admitting you don't know much about Butland - I'm guessing you know little more than his name - but saying you don't wanted him because he's English is stupid. Not misguided, foolish, or anything else. It's stupidity.

Having seen what you post in other area, I know you're better and more thoughtful than this.

I reckon England have 1 world class GKs compared to Spain's 4 or 5 minimum and Germany's 4 or 5. This puts English GKs on a par with some of the worlds lesser nations in terms of GKs.

I don't know a lot about Butland but I don't want ANY English GKs at the club as I think there are far better and more overseas GKs who would also be better value for money.

I actually don't want to get rid of Reina and reckon we should only be looking for a back up GK and nothing more.

You are also forgetting that the Premier league pays some of the biggest wages and is supposed to be the best in the world.

I simply reckon that this doesn't guarantee the best players and particularly the best English players to compete for their country.

We won't replace Pepe with Butland. That would be madness.

What's important is how good the player is, not where they're from. End of.