You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It is as I showed by my list earlier, then you have scott Carson in Turkey, then no one as far as I know.

I see that you negged me but didn't respond to anything that I argued. I'll take that as a concession that you were put in your place and are now going to shut the fuck up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I went on to clarify that if we bought Butland we'd pay a stupid fee when there are better and cheaper keepers abroad.
£4-6m is not a 'stupid fee'. No, scrap that, it is; it's stupidly low.

The fact that Butland is English means the odds are stacked against him based on recent history and the poor level of coaching ability.

No, it doesn't mean any such thing. Players aren't talented on odds.

£4-6m is not a 'stupid fee'. No' date=' scrap that, it is; it's stupidly low.

No, it doesn't mean any such thing. Players aren't talented on odds.[/quote']

I think 4-6 million for an unproven gk is quite a lot of money and I'm sure wages will be stupid too.

Why wouldn't the odds be stacked against him if he's receiving the same coaching as all the other previous flops like James,Green,Carson,Kirkland?

Hart is the first stand out England keeper in years but it doesn't mean there are loads more behind him.

I'm sure Butland is receiving the same coaching that has put England years behind a lot of its rivals.

Mitchell Langerak is 24 and been Weidenfeller's understudy at Dortmund for 2 1/2 seasons now, making only three appearances in that time, two of them against Bayern and one of those in the DFB Pokal final (which Dortmund won 5-2), coming on as a sub for the injured Weidenfeller.

By all accounts has handled himself well in that time. He's learning from a decent keeper in Weidenfeller who replaced Lehmann back in 2003. At 32, he still has a number of years as Dortmund's number one, so enticing Langerak with the possibility of more games could be something. He'd know Brad Jones through the Australian set-up as well, though he is yet to make his international debut.

Again, that he was signed by a club who have made a name for themselves by their excellent scouting of late, should have the club at least asking about him, although only if Pepe were to leave.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Reina may not be the complete keeper, but he's got plenty of life in him yet. He just needs to come to terms with the fact that he'll never be the Spanish number 1. After he does, he'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

MADRID, Jan 21 (Reuters) - Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina is keen to return to his boyhood club Barcelona to replace Victor Valdes when he leaves at the end of next season, his father Miguel told Spanish radio on Monday.

"I am absolutely convinced that Pepe would be more than delighted to return to his Barcelona, where they made him into an upstanding man from the time he arrived at the age of 12 until he left," Miguel Reina told radio station La Xerxa.

"I say it publicly, I would be delighted to see Pepe back at Barca, of course I would," added the former Barca and Atletico Madrid keeper.

"What father would not like to see his son at Barca? He has already been there but to return would be extraordinary."

Reina's Spain team mate Valdes, 31, announced last week he would not renew his contract when it expires at the end of June 2014.

The 30-year-old Reina, a contemporary of Valdes in the Barca youth ranks, made his debut with the Catalan club at the age of 18 before moving on to their La Liga rivals Villarreal and eventually joining Liverpool in July 2005.

He signed a new six-year contract with the English Premier League club in April 2010.

"Pepe has shown sufficient proof of the calibre of goalkeeper he is and right now, and sorry for the lack of modesty, he would be up to the task and the ideal keeper for FC Barcelona without a shadow of a doubt," his father said. (Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Alison Wildey)

Guest San Don
MADRID, Jan 21 (Reuters) - Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina is keen to return to his boyhood club Barcelona to replace Victor Valdes when he leaves at the end of next season, his father Miguel told Spanish radio on Monday.

"I am absolutely convinced that Pepe would be more than delighted to return to his Barcelona, where they made him into an upstanding man from the time he arrived at the age of 12 until he left," Miguel Reina told radio station La Xerxa.

"I say it publicly, I would be delighted to see Pepe back at Barca, of course I would," added the former Barca and Atletico Madrid keeper.

"What father would not like to see his son at Barca? He has already been there but to return would be extraordinary."

Reina's Spain team mate Valdes, 31, announced last week he would not renew his contract when it expires at the end of June 2014.

The 30-year-old Reina, a contemporary of Valdes in the Barca youth ranks, made his debut with the Catalan club at the age of 18 before moving on to their La Liga rivals Villarreal and eventually joining Liverpool in July 2005.

He signed a new six-year contract with the English Premier League club in April 2010.

"Pepe has shown sufficient proof of the calibre of goalkeeper he is and right now, and sorry for the lack of modesty, he would be up to the task and the ideal keeper for FC Barcelona without a shadow of a doubt," his father said. (Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Alison Wildey)

His arl fella is always coming out with this stuff. I guess his absence at the weekend sparked rumours (I know I wondered why he wasnt in the team) but I really wouldnt read anything into it.

His arl fella is always coming out with this stuff. I guess his absence at the weekend sparked rumours (I know I wondered why he wasnt in the team) but I really wouldnt read anything into it.

I just think that once the rumours start coming thick and fast there's something in it.

could be another big earner off the books.

He just needs to come to terms with the fact that he'll never be the Spanish number 1. After he does, he'll be fine.

Do you think he hasn't come to terms with this? Can you tell this from watching him on TV every few weeks in NZ?

Do you also think he's fallen out with Rodgers? Is that why you think Rodgers has lost the dressing room?

Guest San Don
If we can get about £10 million for him at this point I would definitely take it.

10 mill!? Are you mad?

Anyway, I understand he has a 20m buyout so we better not consider 10m acceptable.

And as for valdes, we'd better fuck that one right off too.

My first choice would be that Pepe stays, gets his mojo back, and helps us win the PL next season. Beyond that I don't give a flying fig where his replacement comes from as long as he is good. Based on his track record to date I would guess that Vorm may well be one of the names that BR would consider. Not sure who else he may have worked with on his travels who may be good enough.

There is not a single quote in that article about Pepe saying anything about what is being claimed in the headline. Typical bollocks rumour story.

Have a feeling this one is true, i wouldn't begrudge him going to Barca especially as he isn't the goalie he was.

As mentioned above i couldn't give a shit who the next keeper is as long as hes good, theres a fair few around in the the PL let alone abroad so it shoudn't be that hard to sort out.

Begovic would be good, he deserves better than playing for that pile of shit , Al Habsi i like but not totally convinced, Vorm and Mingolet would be candidates, Vorm for all his shot stopping abilities is a big flapper at crosses from what ive seen.

Bit strange with Valdes wanting out, wonder if hes bored of barely having a save to make in most games?

I agree it's strange. Maybe it's down to money? That's the only reason I could think of really. I've always thought he was a bit of a dodgy keeper to be honest and that his frailties have been covered by the team ahead of him recently.

I definitely wouldn't want him at Liverpool should Reina go.

I wouldn't blame reina if he leaves for barca, just not for another premier league cup. He's nowhere near his standard 5 years ago. Besides he'll have guaranteed CL every season.

And yes, I'll like begovic or mignolet to take over as a replacement. They are young and probably cheap too.

I wouldn't blame reina if he leaves for barca' date=' just not for another premier league cup. He's nowhere near his standard 5 years ago. Besides he'll have guaranteed CL every season.

And yes, I'll like begovic or mignolet to take over as a replacement. They are young and probably cheap too.[/quote']

Club I mean.

I agree it's strange. Maybe it's down to money? That's the only reason I could think of really. I've always thought he was a bit of a dodgy keeper to be honest and that his frailties have been covered by the team ahead of him recently.

I definitely wouldn't want him at Liverpool should Reina go.

I can never watch Valdes without remembering him picking up a back pass against us at the Camp Nou a few years back and thinking 'what a douche'.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm pretty sure they'll come cheaper than the price that we are selling reina for, especially if we keep pestering the club to sell, it has always worked for barca when you look at players like fabregas.

Maybe igor akinfeev sounds like a great replacement, he's a proven Russian international keeper, would probably do good in the premier league if we could get him.

why wold we want to sell him when he's playing better than he has for some time? Doesn't make sense to me.

As for Valdes,I think he's lucky to be in the team he is as I don't think he's even as good as Reina.

He is a lot better at the minute than he has been in the last couple of years but he still isn't at his best for me so I'd be in a mind to sell him at the right offer and I think he may actually want to go as well although to be honest I'd be amazed if Barca want him when they could have practically anyone but Casillas, Atletico seems most likely to me when the Courtois situation comes to a head and Chelsea decide what to do with him

Mignolet would be my first choice to replace him but god knows what the right price to sign him for and the right price to sell Pepe would be, you don't see many big goalkeeper transfers these days so don't know where the market really stands, I certainly wouldn't want to get in De Gea price range territory for anyone that we buy