You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At what point is "no news" on the stadium unacceptable

Nathanzx

If anyone thinks FFP will stop the clubs with the most money, spending it, you are sadly mistaken.

There is no way they will throw Barca/Madrid/Man City/Chelsea out of their top competition. It just won't happen.

Ground renovations/building a new stadium are costs that don't count in FFP.

I think we all know that stadium costs 'don't count' under FFP. But they sure do count when you have to write out the cheque!

Really? No way? (Even if it actually came to it?) What are they going to do? Play with all the other super-rich clubs? oh...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, you’re grossly unfair on those who’ve ‘squandered millions’ trying to keep up with the Abramovitches etc

There always have been big spenders( we were one once). Abrahamovic is just the latest in a long line. Blaming him is absurd – he broke the Man U/Arsenal hegemony.

Typically, you undermine your own case by overstating it on FSG’s business plan. There was no manifesto on acquisition. Subsequently the self-sustaining mantra has emerged. The plan itself is secret. We do not know how net spending has been financed (probably through Club debt). We do not know who the movers and shakers are within FSG – Werner and Henry are front men. We can only judge on what they do, or don’t do.

Your acceptance of an ownership which will not inject capital investment condemns us to a future of mediocrity and decline. I’m out.

You don’t understand the financial numbers, never have, and I accept never will. They have been laid before you frequently enough .One deal with tiny investment and miniscule risk by comparison has not outdone a mega investment with huge risk, as has been explained to you.

You also do not understand that global revenue off the pitch is largely determined by performance on it. You can’t monetise a League Cup victory against Cardiff City. A shop in Kuala Lumpar and a few foreign language websites won’t cut it. We can’t even make money out of LFCTV.

A strategy which does not include capital investment is doomed. We cannot produce enough profit through revenue to compete with Arsenal/Chelsea/Man U/City.

You also neither understand the mechanics, the non-existent consequences of non-compliance, nor the impact of, FFP which have again been explained to you frequently (because they involve numbers).

FSG were the only runner in town who could perform when we were bought, you have simply forgotten what happened.

Your switch from balanced observer to confused babble is baffling. It’s either a form of bizarre schizophrenia, or booze induced error.

You can’t add up, remember, or recount, the basics of our recent history ,and invent positions, there is little more for the rest of us to do - other than laugh.

If anyone thinks FFP will stop the clubs with the most money, spending it, you are sadly mistaken.

There is no way they will throw Barca/Madrid/Man City/Chelsea out of their top competition. It just won't happen.

Ground renovations/building a new stadium are costs that don't count in FFP.

Why on on earth have you decided to group those four together? An insult to Barcelona.

Why on on earth have you decided to group those four together? An insult to Barcelona.

Because as things currently stand, all 4 of them are unable to meet the requirements of FFP.

It's not about sugar daddies or fan elected presidents. Clubs with history, or clubs that have been financially catapulted in to the big league.

I think we all know that stadium costs 'don't count' under FFP. But they sure do count when you have to write out the cheque!

Really? No way? (Even if it actually came to it?) What are they going to do? Play with all the other super-rich clubs? oh...

I'm not sure what the bit in bold means, but they won't be thrown out of European competition, no.

UEFA are almost forcing a rival to the CL to be set up in this instance. Especially if those clubs came to talk to clubs like us, who have no real prospects of CL football for a good few years yet. They could easily pad out a tournament with clubs just below top 3/4.

That is the threat that UEFA will have hanging over them. They could be instrumental in forcing a break up of current football, and force a European league that will have absolutely no commitment to protecting international football and FIFA.

You don’t understand the financial numbers, never have, and I accept never will....

Well, isn’t it just the mark of a man losing an argument to keep turning it into a personal attack. I’ve told you mate - nobody gives a monkey’s to hear this spat.

FSG’s plan was set out in their letter to SOS. They took a spell to listen and they gave us their verdict. ‘We’ll do this’ (and, ‘we want you to do that’). It’s as strong a declaration of intent as any.

‘I’m out’ is a reasonable position for you (for anyone) to take. FSG set out their case. No-one beeped then. If you want to beep now, the right thing to do is to leave. Because FSG are following the right way. An updated version of the Liverpool Way. Right for now and right for the future. And they aren’t changing.

It is however the clearest possible confirmation that you just don’t like them or what they do and you would rather they were gone. Good Luck to you. I’m in.

You have recently brought new material regarding the ‘super league’ and that has been refreshing to say the least. But the other bits of actual comment offered here have been answered without further material counter from you, many times over.

To avoid dredging through it again, you can simply state that you accept or reject the same conclusions arrived at by ‘parallel’ process by the club. Clearly, you reject them. As you like.

The rest is largely wantonly offensive. As I said, you can keep it. No one wants to know.

I'm not sure what the bit in bold means, but they won't be thrown out of European competition, no.

UEFA are almost forcing a rival to the CL to be set up in this instance. Especially if those clubs came to talk to clubs like us, who have no real prospects of CL football for a good few years yet. They could easily pad out a tournament with clubs just below top 3/4.

That is the threat that UEFA will have hanging over them. They could be instrumental in forcing a break up of current football, and force a European league that will have absolutely no commitment to protecting international football and FIFA.

I meant that there is no real alternative for the ‘top’ clubs. The formation of a super league from the numbers of teams at that level (of wealth) is not viable. There simply isn’t enough of them. It won’t happen that way for that reason.

And, the creation of a super league with the help of the (financial) ‘also-rans’ will simply replicate the problems of the EPL at a wider geographic level and a higher financial level.

Why would Liverpool join Chelsea in a European or Global Super League where there is no restraint on Abramovitches extravagance? When it puts all the power and financial clout in the hands of Chelsea (and clubs like Man City)? Not a brilliant or forward-thinking strategy at all. It would be a blunder of the the highest magnitude. A complete and utter fuck up for us.

We need FFP to work. We need the level playing field. We don't have the cash that Abramovitch can 'splash'.

I dont get why people waste their time on speculating and stirring shit up on the topic of stadia and financial details.

In business terms, in the long list of things they will take into account or not, THIS is the one topic that you or I will have zero input into.

As long as a new stadium isnt built in Milton Keynes, we're still going to make that journey, and they know it.

So spending time discussing the minutia of potential income, or naming rights, or the fucking Emirates, or the Etihad, or the Allianz, or standing areas, or income generated per game, or ticket prices, means fuck all.

I usually leave these threads with less knowledge than when I went in.

Do we NEED a new stadium? Not really. Stop spending gazillions of fucking shite players every year, develop the local talent in the right way, and we'll find Anfield being plenty big enough to keep us in the red, or black, you know what I mean.

We need FFP to work. We need the level playing field. We don't have the cash that Abramovitch can 'splash'.

Bollocks.

If we want to have a game of "who can spend £400m the fastest", then yes we will lose that game to City.

If we want a game of "build a title winning team", then we don't NEED their money.

We need to stop moaning, fire people who make massive mistakes, start coaching and scouting professionally, and introduce all the best bits of sports science, business and psychology into the club.

It's 11 vs 11 playing football on a square of grass, it doesn't need billionaire's and 75,000 seater stadiums to make a title winnable.

Bollocks.

If we want to have a game of "who can spend £400m the fastest", then yes we will lose that game to City.

If we want a game of "build a title winning team", then we don't NEED their money.

We need to stop moaning, fire people who make massive mistakes, start coaching and scouting professionally, and introduce all the best bits of sports science, business and psychology into the club.

It's 11 vs 11 playing football on a square of grass, it doesn't need billionaire's and 75,000 seater stadiums to make a title winnable.

But I thought you said, we only need 11 players and a square of grass...? What's all this 'sports science, business and psychology' nonsense?

I guess there's simple and there's simplistic.