You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa

woodylfc

I think he had his time.

For me he did a good job in general but the last year was poor,wether that was he had lost the players,took on too much control,constant fight with the owners, whatever it was it started falling apart.

Never wanted him replaced by Woy though.Had new owners come in I think he deserved another year.

Wouldn't want him back unless he was the best man for the job and untill he goes and wins things elsewhere he won't be.

It's pretty obvious that you can't stay stagnant as a club these days. Even Barcelona buy players when they win things. Won their league, albeit failed to win the champs league so they bought masch for their bench. Won their league and the champs league so they bought fabregas for their bench.

Moratti promised things to Rafa and then went back on his promise, so he spoke out about it. Is speaking out the best thing? Probably not, but considering the shit he was just put through by our cunt owners prior him leaving it's hardly surprising.

It was clearly a mistake to let him go in favor of Roy fucking Hodgson, If we had gotten a Pellegrini or someone even remotely comparable to Rafa in terms of results or potential for results then fine, as it was we took Hodgson because the media pushed the idea that an Englishman would right the ship at England's #1 club, and a bunch of moron's including the cunts making the decisions bought into that full stop.

Dont you find it just a little odd that the last three clubs he has managed he has spoken out about being promised this that and the other.

Whenever things started going bad,he seems to be shouting out for more money for new players.

Just a observation on him.

Most fans have impossible expectations of any manager.

By any measure, Rafa's performance up to his final season was exceptional.

His final season was the archetypal implosion of vanity.

Managerial success involves a strange alchemy of time and place, which has moved on for Rafa.

Arguably, KK's first half season will also be as good as it gets.

Edited by xerxes

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think you're a Rafa fan, aren't you? I'm not really, so our perspectives will differ I guess. There were some great times under Benitez of course but I still wouldn't want him back at the club. Need to move on and look forward rather than pining for Benitez in troubled times!

Just my view and I respect people have different ones.

I am a Rafa fan, but that doesn't really impact upon whether he blew it or not. He came here, did a load of good stuff under really tough times, made some mistakes, was forced into others. He didn't blow anything. By any normal standards, winning the European cup would be enough to bury the 'blew it' argument. That's without all the other stuff.

Most forget the last two seasons of turgid football eh ;) No doubting he started off well and had the club at heart, thoroughly nice guy. But you can't just dredge up the good points whilst conveniently forgetting all the crap as well. He left because it was the best for the club and himself at the time, lets not make him out to be a better manager than he was.

All what crap? What turgid football? In his final season, when shit was going down big style, stuff was ropey. Nobody is saying he didn't make mistakes. The season before... well, as has been mentioned, that's just not really sensible.

I am a Rafa fan, but that doesn't really impact upon whether he blew it or not. He came here, did a load of good stuff under really tough times, made some mistakes, was forced into others. He didn't blow anything. By any normal standards, winning the European cup would be enough to bury the 'blew it' argument. That's without all the other stuff.

Fair enough. My point was Rafa had his chance and I don't want to see him at the club again, but I don't really care to get into a Rafa debate - as i am sure you don't - so we can agree to disagree.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Fair enough. My point was Rafa had his chance and I don't want to see him at the club again, but I don't really care to get into a Rafa debate - as i am sure you don't - so we can agree to disagree.

I can totally appreciate you don't want him back. That's absolutely fine, I'm not 100% sure I would (I totally would, but I don't want to look like a loon. Don't tell anybody).

Still, if Kenny blows it as bad as Rafa, I'll be happy.

Funny how whiskynose has had dreadful owners bleeding his club dry for the past couple of years yet still churns out competitive teams year after year. Cant remember the last time scum finished 7th.

11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 6th. Fergies league positions in his first 5 seasons. A lot of their fans wanted him sacked. Unfortunately their board knew what they were doing.

There's more revisionism in here than there is in the bible.

Yeah totally, especially with this "fighting against the owners" splurge. Funny how Brian Reade's book which everyone thought was going to be a bible of sorts never gets mentioned these days for obvious reasons. An apparition it seems. I'm assuming you mean that too Robbie?

He did a lot of good things for Liverpool but he has to take responsibility for his own failings in the latter part of his reign here as well. Something I don't think he is wholly prepared to do. The guy is/was *delete as appropriate, supremely talented but ultimately flawed. I'd like to think he can change some of his methods whenever he is employed again but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 6th. Fergies league positions in his first 5 seasons. A lot of their fans wanted him sacked. Unfortunately their board knew what they were doing.

Ferguson was a young man who had won a title and European trophy At his previous club, immediately prior to joining United

If anything, it is Benitez that fits the comparison better, except he won trophies at Liverpool as well as his previous club before a very poor season in which we finished seventh, which is where we will finish this season

Rafa built a good team and can be proud of his record- but he left when it was time to go and with a team and a club on a downward path.

New owners came in and then Kenny and we might finish 7th again, but now with a club that to me feels like it is on an upward path.

It takes more than a season to build a team and he deserves to be given that time. Some signings will work out and some will not and I am sure there will be steps forward and steps back- but baring glaring and consistent bad results (ref Roy) Kenny deserves the time needed to built something that lasts.

Yeah totally, especially with this "fighting against the owners" splurge. Funny how Brian Reade's book which everyone thought was going to be a bible of sorts never gets mentioned these days for obvious reasons. An apparition it seems. I'm assuming you mean that too Robbie?

He did a lot of good things for Liverpool but he has to take responsibility for his own failings in the latter part of his reign here as well. Something I don't think he is wholly prepared to do. The guy is/was *delete as appropriate, supremely talented but ultimately flawed. I'd like to think he can change some of his methods whenever he is employed again but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

On both sides there is, yes. Some people think he done no wrong, some people think he is the devil.

Your last paragraph is spot on, and I think he has admitted that he has made mistakes to be fair to the guy.

Blew it? Honestly, I can't see how winning the European Cup, getting us to another final, taking us to the top of the ranking in Europe, wining the FA Cup, and coming as close to winning the league as anybody since we last won it, can be classed as 'blowing it'.

He didn't blow it on the pitch, he blew it for himself by making too many enemies at the club if anything. Perhaps if he had sat tight instead of pushing things at the end, he might still be here.

He didn't blow it on the pitch, he blew it for himself by making too many enemies at the club if anything. Perhaps if he had sat tight instead of pushing things at the end, he might still be here.

Wise words.

G&H had "bought" him, or so they thought that previous summer.All he needed to do was keep his head down and wait for the sale. But he couldn't help himself. It wasn't for the good of LFC. It didn't help his career. It was a period of wilful madness.

Guest Pistonbroke

All what crap? What turgid football? In his final season, when shit was going down big style, stuff was ropey. Nobody is saying he didn't make mistakes. The season before... well, as has been mentioned, that's just not really sensible.

We should have won the league, but he got involved in politics and petty arguments which affected the team and cost us the league. Only my opinion like. he started off well and shouldn't be slagged off, but he left because he wasn't doing that well, i fucking hate the way you all wank over him because of 2 fecking trophies! Not sure how old most of the Rafa lovers ae on average....but if they were around for Shanks and Paisley i'd be interested to see how many wanks they were having a day.

Wise words.

G&H had "bought" him, or so they thought that previous summer.All he needed to do was keep his head down and wait for the sale. But he couldn't help himself. It wasn't for the good of LFC. It didn't help his career. It was a period of wilful madness.

All he needed to do?

He had Tom Hicks saying he wanted £1b for the club. At the same time, he had Purslow coming in and making signings/trying to sell players. He had his budget stripped away from him, too.

He was being torn to shreds in the press on a weekly basis, despite everyone basically doing their bests to ensure that no one could have succeeded in that environment.

Now he made mistakes, and we all know that. But, fuck me, waiting it out is something that no one could have done.

Rafa was fucked over massively regardless of what we all think about his departure.

We should have won the league, but he got involved in politics and petty arguments which affected the team and cost us the league. Only my opinion like. he started off well and shouldn't be slagged off, but he left because he wasn't doing that well, i fucking hate the way you all wank over him because of 2 fecking trophies! Not sure how old most of the Rafa lovers ae on average....but if they were around for Shanks and Paisley i'd be interested to see how many wanks they were having a day.

Utter bollocks. It was rafas fault that we didn't get 91 points in the league and only in spite of him that we got 86? The reason we didn't win the league was that cunt ronaldo scoring last minute winners every week. That other cunt webb giving that pen at old trafford when they were 2-0 down to spurs also made a massive difference.

Wise words.

Ahh the beauty of hindsight, of course at that point was several months before our new owners were established and we were just as likely to have ended up in administration thanks to our then owners.