You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Agreed but the bullshit about Gods chosen people settlers use to occupy land is as insane as knocking your head against a wall. They do that too.

If that's part of their religious beliefs then so be it. As bat-shit crazy as it is to me and you. All religion is fucking headtheball gear. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think this sort of false analogy between modern events and the holocaust is actually a subtle form of holocaust denial. It downplays the reality of what happened and is part of the process of diminishing its significance. 

The Holocaust Memorial Trust ensure that Holocaust Memorial Day commemorates other genocides that have happened in various places throughout the world since the end of the Second World War.  They're also keen to promote understanding about the roots and causes of the Holocaust and to alert people to the dangers of allowing those things to flourish. 

So, unless you're accusing the Holocaust Memorial Trust of "a subtle form of Holocaust denial" then you're just plain wrong.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Holocaust Memorial Trust ensure that Holocaust Memorial Day commemorates other genocides that have happened in various places throughout the world since the end of the Second World War.  They're also keen to promote understanding about the roots and causes of the Holocaust and to alert people to the dangers of allowing those things to flourish. 

So, unless you're accusing the Holocaust Memorial Trust of "a subtle form of Holocaust denial" then you're just plain wrong.

Commemorates and compare are obviously different words. My point is the word holocaust is often too freely used to describe anything the author doesn’t like as we saw re the recent Tory mp and vaccines. Nothing since the war has been on a scale or so organised so nothing is comparable and in making these glib comparisons, the unique magnitude and intent of holocaust is diminished. That’s why it’s a subtle but increasingly common form of denial. It has already happened with the word fascist which  has pretty much lost its meaning and now means someone who has opinions to the right of one’s own. 

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Commemorates and compare are obviously different words. My point is the word holocaust is often too freely used to describe anything the author doesn’t like as we saw re the recent Tory mp and vaccines. Nothing since the war has been on a scale or so organised so nothing is comparable and in making these glib comparisons, the unique magnitude and intent of holocaust is diminished. That’s why it’s a subtle but increasingly common form of denial. It has already happened with the word fascist which  has pretty much lost its meaning and now means someone who has opinions to the right of one’s own. 

OK. Your opinion.

Like I say, the Holocaust Memorial Trust (who know a thing or two about the Holocaust) disagree with you.

https://www.hmd.org.uk/learn-about-the-holocaust-and-genocides/today/

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

OK. Your opinion.

Like I say, the Holocaust Memorial Trust (who know a thing or two about the Holocaust) disagree with you.

https://www.hmd.org.uk/learn-about-the-holocaust-and-genocides/today/

Well I disagree. They specifically use the phrase The Holocaust (capital H) to differentiate it from other genocides. This is my point, it was unique in terms of scale and intent and when the word is freely ascribed to other atrocities or even fucking vaccine rollouts, it diminishes its meaning. If people say the vaccine rollout was the worst crime since the Holocaust, people will obviously think that the Holocaust can’t have been that bad after all. This is why it’s a subtle maybe unintentional form of denial. 

Just now, Captain Willard said:

Well I disagree. They specifically use the phrase The Holocaust (capital H) to differentiate it from other genocides. This is my point, it was unique in terms of scale and intent and when the word is freely ascribed to other atrocities or even fucking vaccine rollouts, it diminishes its meaning. If people say the vaccine rollout was the worst crime since the Holocaust, people will obviously think that the Holocaust can’t have been that bad after all. This is why it’s a subtle maybe unintentional form of denial. 

A bit of a slide there. The post you responded to listed exactly the sort of things that HMT are talking about. It's really not trivialising the Holocaust in the way you are now describing.

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A bit of a slide there. The post you responded to listed exactly the sort of things that HMT are talking about. It's really not trivialising the Holocaust in the way you are now describing.

Thr original post Care4calais was headed “it’s happening again” then goes on to list a series of atrocities but then Government policies which are used as examples. Towards the end they reference opting out of the European court. This is my point exactly, a change to our constitution to assert the primacy of uk legislation on issues like immigration rights is not the equivalent of the Holocaust so to say “it’s (the Holocaust) is happening again” is both not true but also a subtle form  of diminishing or denial, the Holocaust was only the equivalent of a modern day act of constitutional legislation. 

31 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Thr original post Care4calais was headed “it’s happening again” then goes on to list a series of atrocities but then Government policies which are used as examples. Towards the end they reference opting out of the European court. This is my point exactly, a change to our constitution to assert the primacy of uk legislation on issues like immigration rights is not the equivalent of the Holocaust so to say “it’s (the Holocaust) is happening again” is both not true but also a subtle form  of diminishing or denial, the Holocaust was only the equivalent of a modern day act of constitutional legislation. 

Have a good read of that HMT thing I linked to.

It (genocide - HMD is not exclusively about the Holocaust) is happening again, right now.

And the kind of actions that create the conditions for genocide are happening in the UK right now.  The whole point of saying "Never again" isn't to say "Wow, I'm glad something like that isn't going to happen again". We've got to do more than close our eyes, cross our fingers and wish. We've got to be alert to the steps to tyranny and genocide and commit to oppose them before it's too late.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Towards the end they reference opting out of the European court. This is my point exactly, a change to our constitution to assert the primacy of uk legislation on issues like immigration rights 

You really shouldn't trivialise the threat of this.  The ECHR exists to protect every single citizen from the excesses of an abusive and oppressive government.  The only European countries that have opted out of the ECHR are Russia and Belarus (and, for some reason, the Vatican). Is that the kind of democracy you want?

Here are the rights guaranteed by the ECHR.  Which ones are you happy to surrender to Suella fucking Braverman (or whoever her successors may be)?

Screenshot_2022-12-10-08-49-36-86_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

6 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Seems like they're pretty sound on human rights for the most part. I'd likely take their side if they were in conflict with an authoritarian dictatorship.

Yea, they seem pretty sweet.

Iceland I think too, heck Norway even -- cold though. Alot of the cool countries seem too cold to live in.

• 2 weeks later...

They went full Fuzzy Zoeller:

A middle school in New York and its food vendor, Aramark, apologized after students were served chicken and waffles, along with watermelon on the first day of Black History Month.

The lunch menu offered on February 1 at Nyack Middle School in Rockland County was “inexcusably insensitive and reflected a lack of understanding of our district’s vision to address racial bias,” David A. Johnson, the school’s principal, wrote in a letter to parents.

“We are extremely disappointed by this regrettable situation and apologize to the entire Nyack community for the cultural insensitivity displayed by our food service provider,” Johnson wrote.

The incident is the latest example of how Black people continue battling misguided stereotypes about their fondness for certain foods and racist tropes against them.