You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

aRdja

• 2 months later...

When was the last time he played for a Liverpool team?

I'm not just talking about the first team, I also mean the under 21s / reserve team.

Surely he should be playing some games for one of the teams we have?!

he needs to go in the summer for his own sake, he might get more game time here next season with Carra retiring and Skrtel's future in question depending on who we bring in but probably not a risk he can take, he'd do well in Italy I reckon

He should go on loan to a premier league club, I reckon. He's talented but needs playing time

should've happened in January imo but if it happens in the summer I can't see any coming back from it to be honest, he'd have been on our books for three years having been signed for 8million and just played a key part of the Uruguay side that won the Copa America and will have barely played for us, he should've been bedded in towards the end of last year when we had nothing to play for and were getting shit results anyway and Carra was in woeful form, understandable why he has been 4th choice this year, Agger is without doubt our best centre back, Carra has his form back and Skrtel is also very good on form but last year he was mismanaged imo

Agger is without doubt our best centre back, Carra has his form back and Skrtel is also very good on form but last year he was mismanaged imo

Agger and Skrtel have both been poor this season.

Wouldn't be upset if we sold both of them.

He's still young, though. It's not as if he's a washed up failure. Going on loan would do him the world of good and give him a chance to learn and improve without the pressure of being first choice for Liverpool. I see no reason why we should sell him. I defo agree that he should've played towards the end of last season.

Edit: in response to F9

He's still young, though. It's not as if he's a washed up failure. Going on loan would do him the world of good and give him a chance to learn and improve without the pressure of being first choice for Liverpool. I see no reason why we should sell him. I defo agree that he should've played towards the end of last season.

Edit: in response to F9

I don't want to sell him but I don't think he'll want to stay unless promised more game time here, I know what your saying about him being young and stuff but at the same time he'd already done a lot for his age by the time he got here so can't see him being happy to loaned out to Wigan or somewhere to try prove himselfs to us when he has already effectively wasted two years of his career here

i would. certainly in aggers case.

i honestly dont think we can sign better.

We probably won't be able to sign anyone better on the ball as he is.

We could get numerous better defenders than him. He has made a lot of mistakes this season, he gets bullied by any big striker and no surprise we are conceding loads of goals as a result.

No point in being great on the ball as a centre back if you are a liability at the back defensively.

He's not alone - Johnson and Skrtel have been just as bad.

Carragher, Enrique and Wisdom have been our best defenders this season, when used!

Agger and Skrtel have both been poor this season.

Wouldn't be upset if we sold both of them.

What's the obsession with selling players? I wouldn't mind if we had squad depth like City's, I wouldn't be selling anyone in the summer certainly not if we get a Europa place.

We probably won't be able to sign anyone better on the ball as he is.

We could get numerous better defenders than him. He has made a lot of mistakes this season, he gets bullied by any big striker and no surprise we are conceding loads of goals as a result.

No point in being great on the ball as a centre back if you are a liability at the back defensively.

He's not alone - Johnson and Skrtel have been just as bad.

Carragher, Enrique and Wisdom have been our best defenders this season, when used!

so you think we could replace carra, skrtel and agger with better this summer????

granted they haven't been great but for me it has as much to do with our DM issues as it does them

We need another defensive midfielder which would help in open play, you cannot blame our deficiency in centre mid on our inability to defend a set piece. Is it how we're set up to defend them, the centre halves, the keeper ? I think it's a mixture of things, our set up at the back post in parcular is disturbing, so many free headers.

Our CBs are too slow and ponderous to play the kind of football that Rodgers says he wants. Look how high a line the mancs and Chelsea play (without Terry). They compress space, letting tight passing and movement occur.

Look how far back Carra plays, even Agger doesn't get very far forward. Ball control for us means 30 yard passes - it just doesn't work.

I don't think Coates got a fair chance - all the CBs have made plenty of mistakes, too.

Without being a bitch here, Jamie Carragher will play all our remaining games this season, if he passes fit. His partner will be of his choosing and that will be our best defender, Daniel Agger. Coates should stay and will get game time next season.

I would like to see as little transfer activity as possible this summer. Hopefully the Carroll, Spearing and Downing funds can purchase a CB to replace Carra and another attack option (Ince?). - and hope Allen can improve with DM responsibilities.

Our CBs are too slow and ponderous to play the kind of football that Rodgers says he wants. Look how high a line the mancs and Chelsea play (without Terry). They compress space' date=' letting tight passing and movement occur.

Look how far back Carra plays, even Agger doesn't get very far forward. Ball control for us means 30 yard passes - it just doesn't work.

I don't think Coates got a fair chance - all the CBs have made plenty of mistakes, too.[/quote']

Wenger managed to mix the two in his earlier and more successful years at Arsenal. Since he started to buy ball playing centre halves Arsenal have won virtually nothing.

We just need centre backs who can defend well and are also good in the air. Trying to do otherwise wont solve our current problems.

We just need centre backs who can defend well and are also good in the air

Not for the system Rodgers wants to play. We need CBs with a bit more mobility than stand pipes. If not, we get what we get now - acres of space. To play a ball control game you have to compress space, not expand it. That's why we seldom get many players in the box - instead of being close to midfield, or even in the attacking zone, our CBs are way back, dragging the midfield further back.

As for Arsenal:

Since he started to buy ball playing centre halves Arsenal have won virtually nothing

Surely that's not the only reason. If having good defenders with ability in the air were the deciding criterion then Stoke would win the league, no?

Many things are involved, but in Rodgers' system mobile CBs are important.

We just need centre backs who can defend well and are also good in the air

Not for the system Rodgers wants to play. We need CBs with a bit more mobility than stand pipes. If not, we get what we get now - acres of space. To play a ball control game you have to compress space, not expand it. That's why we seldom get many players in the box - instead of being close to midfield, or even in the attacking zone, our CBs are way back, dragging the midfield further back.

As for Arsenal:

Since he started to buy ball playing centre halves Arsenal have won virtually nothing

Surely that's not the only reason. If having good defenders with ability in the air were the deciding criterion then Stoke would win the league, no?

Many things are involved, but in Rodgers' system mobile CBs are important.

First and foremost I want a defender who can defend. Sounds simple. If they are not great dribblers they pass it to a full back or a midfielder and then sit and wait to defend again. Defenders defend. Anyone know any going cheap?

First and foremost I want a defender who can defend. Sounds simple. If they are not great dribblers they pass it to a full back or a midfielder and then sit and wait to defend again. Defenders defend. Anyone know any going cheap?

Great, but they've got to be mobile, too. If not, let's get Huth.