You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Murdoch apology for The Sun

Jarvinja Ilnow

James Murdoch offers 'full apology' for The Sun newspaper's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster (WATCH VIDEO) - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Daily Post

Daily Post so safe to click. Sorry if already posted.

JAMES Murdoch today offered a 'full apology' for The Sun's coverage of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster - and refused to rule out closure of the newspaper should it be implicated in the phone hacking scandal.

The News International chairman was appearing before the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee for the second time.

Steve Rotheram, MP for Liverpool Walton, asked Mr Murdoch: "Is it not the case that you've failed to show the urgency or the will to deal with unethical practices at News International because, quite frankly, successive chief executives since 1989 have believed that they could do whatever they wanted and get away with it?"

Mr Rotheram followed up with: "Do you understand the significance of the date I gave - 1989?"

Mr Murdoch said: "I think I know where you're going. Are you referring to the Hillsborough coverage in The Sun?"

"Of course I am, absolutely," said Mr Rotheram. "That was when The Sun newspaper published lies about the Hillsborough disaster under the banner headline 'The Truth' and the question I'd like you to answer is - did the fact that The Sun got away with telling outrageous lies in 1989 lead News International into believing they could do whatever they wanted without reproach?"

Mr Murdoch said: "I'd like to add my full apology to the wrong coverage of that affair. I'd like to add that voice to successive editors of The Sun and chief executives of News International who since that instance have apologised.

"It was 22 years ago and I was far away and a much younger person...but I've since looked at it, I'm aware of the concerns and the hurt that it caused and it's something that we're very sorry for and I am as well."

Mr Rotheram asked whether The Sun could be closed like the News of the World

Read More James Murdoch offers 'full apology' for The Sun newspaper's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster (WATCH VIDEO) - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Daily Post

"It was 22 years ago and I was far away and a much younger person...but I've since looked at it, I'm aware of the concerns and the hurt that it caused and it's something that we're very sorry for and I am as well."

Well, that's alright then.

[YOUTUBE]2g5Hz17C4is[/YOUTUBE]

Cunt.

Good line of questioning by Mr. Rotherham, by the way. Fair play to him.

I'd like to add that voice to successive editors of The Sun and chief executives of News International who since that instance have apologised.

He can't help but have a dig. He must know that those qualified apologies were used as veiled attacks on the people of Merseyside and only made the situation worse.

He can't help but have a dig. He must know that those qualified apologies were used as veiled attacks on the people of Merseyside and only made the situation worse.

It's a totally political answer under pressure. He knows an apology during a Parliamentary meeting will not reach millions of unwashed Sun reading masses