You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well said Mr Moran.

Edit: SM, how does that compare to Partners' description though? Mr Moran's complaint is regarding a disparity between the two.

Where can I find that? The sources I've looked at so far are the website and the application form. Presumably the application form is a Partners document as it's an application form for their Credit Union?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's been my understanding too. I'm interested in a response to to the vote on arranging coaches for the TUC rally though.

*puts on dennistooth hat for a minute* I think the club would love SOS to disappear, I think there's actually been a covert PR campaign by them to discredit the union.

The way they reacted to the letter sent before Christmas sowed that seed in my tiny mind and there's been a few other things that have reinforced my belief.

Why?

They do it perfectly well themselves.

Fair point, it probably is drafted by Partners. Not sure where we can find this info, this is the first I've really looked at the Season Ticket Loan in any detail so can't claim to know anything about it as yet.

Seems fairly unequivocal, and as I stated in my post above. You join the Credit Union. It then gives you access to the other services including the SOS share account. They are clearly two different accounts. By all means have a go at SOS for things you think they have done, but let's not create something that's not there (EDIT : not specifically aimed at you Pidge - just general comment).

Partners Credit Union

Firstly you must join the Credit Union and agree to save regularly in your Main Share Account. This opens up your membership of the credit union and gives you access to the other services we have, including the SOS Share Account, Season Ticket Loan, other savings accounts, affordable and accessible loans, various insurance products, Prepaid Card, Childrens Savings Accounts, members only lottery and hire of our caravan which is situated in the Winkups Site in Towyn, Nr. Rhyl. Because of the uniqueness of credit unions, your shares and loans are covered by FREE insurance which means in the event of your death, your next of kin will receive double what you have in savings and your loan will be paid off. As with all of our products and services, terms and conditions do apply and you should check upon application what those are.

The S.O.S. Share Account is only available to members of S.O.S. The account will not attract any dividend and may be subject to an Administration Fee in the future. Share withdrawals will not generally be available on this account because of the reasons why it was set up, however we will allow one withdrawal per calendar year to allow for emergencies.

In the event that Supporter Ownership takes place, then account holders would naturally be required to complete a form to withdraw the funds which would be payable to the lead organization hosting the initiative.

Guest ShoePiss
How many gaffes have SOS made since they were formed?

Why on earth would the club go out of their way to discredit a minority of fans. They can just simply ignore them.

Can't be arsed getting into it with you.

I've read a bit of the gumpf now and am a little confused. The info certainly does contradict itself a bit.

Now we have this season ticket loan, where Spirit of Shankly people constantly contradict the Partners web site, the application form, and even their own web site, with how they say it works, and how the SOS Share Scheme is connected to it. Graham Smith even denied that they were linked at all - but clearly you have to save for a share in an SOS share in a takeover, to be eligible for the loan. In forcing members to save for a loan (with an account that offers no dividend and may incur a fee), it is surely easier for people to just get a loan from their own credit union account and based on their own savings, without bothering with the SOS scheme at all.

The scheme is designed to get people to save for an SOS Share, as well as save for a season ticket, but has been created with no apparent thought for the saver. Who is going to take out a loan for about £800 for a season ticket, that also commits you to eventually saving up another £500 for something else? It's crazy!

This is why SOS are trying to tell people that you can use the SOS Share funds for anything, when Partners have been more circumspect, pointing out that you either use it for a share, or for emergencies.

It is not a case where they can both be right. Either Graham and SOS is wrong or the Partners web site is wrong. Either you can use the money in the share scheme, as Graham and SOS claims, for "anything", or you can use it as Partners says, for the share scheme, or for "emergencies".

I believe that once you start saving with this SOS Share Scheme, you will not find it as easy as Graham and SOS would have you believe in order to access these funds - and once done, you will be stuck with it. You should have read the small print.

In view of their recent track record for truthful and accurate statements, frankly, I don't believe him, nor SOS, on this.

First of, reading into this I don't quite agree with Mr Moran's tone, but he raises some issues that should be addressed. His main grievance seems to be that SOS hasn't been clear about the connection between schemes.

SM is absolutely right that there is a tiered system in place and that you have to have a credit union account (minimum £2pw contributions) to be eligible. But the descriptions used by SoS certainly suggests that the tier 2 services are exclusive of each other, but while you don't need to have a season ticket loan (STL) to open an SOS share account, you do need an SOS share account to be eligible for an STL.

Credit Union – Spirit Of Shankly – Liverpool Supporters' Union

To be eligible for this loan you need to have been a member of the Credit Union for 10 weeks and to have been paying money into the SOS Share Account with Partners on a regular basis.

Also, by the way, this sentence undermines the following from the same page in my opinion.

You can join the Credit Union by completing a simple form and opening a Regular Credit Union Share Account agreeing to save at least £2.00 per week in that account. By doing this you become eligible to open the SOS Share Account (saving as little or as much as you like) as well as gaining access to the other products and services like the SOS Season Ticket Loan.

Now, from an FSA perspective, that's already not in line with TCF guidelines. Outcome 3 and 5 (Providing clear info and Managing expectations respectively). I don't want to use this as a stick to beat SOS with, I just think this is leaving both SOS and Partners open to complaint with little ground to defend themselves.

This is backed up on the FAQ where they say:

Do I have to save into the SOS Share Account?

Yes.It is a requirement of Credit Unions that those accessing their services are saving regularly. The minimum amount is £2 per week. The other account to save into has no minimum and is for you to use as you see fit.

This sentence backs up my impression that the CU Share account and SOS share account are separate products with separate obligations. I don't think this is a sub-account as suggested, but a parallel one.

Actually, having read the application form as well, it is a sub account. But the point about clarity on the site is the one I am trying to make so I feel my previous points are still pertinent and this is hardly an exhaustive document. I assume if you apply you will be sent a full T&Cs which covers each product. If you are going for this make sure you read it fully to get the final bottom line.

It does still bring me back to an earlier quote though... While the terms of the SOS share account may not require regular contribution, eligibility for an STL does:

To be eligible for this loan you need to have been a member of the Credit Union for 10 weeks and to have been paying money into the SOS Share Account with Partners on a regular basis.

So, to reiterate, while the share account doesn't demand payment, you still have to pay into it to get the STL. So it effectively does demand payment...

I still think the STL is a good idea that with the present financial difficulty will mean that people will be able to hold on to their season tickets through adversity (which is a continuity I feel it's important to retain, regardless of OOT arguements). But SOS need to be clearer about the terms.

That's been my understanding too. I'm interested in a response to to the vote on arranging coaches for the TUC rally though.

*puts on dennistooth hat for a minute* I think the club would love SOS to disappear, I think there's actually been a covert PR campaign by them to discredit the union.

The way they reacted to the letter sent before Christmas sowed that seed in my tiny mind and there's been a few other things that have reinforced my belief.

I doubt it considering two of the SOS committee have been invited on to the clubs Fans Committee. Hardly a logical thing to do if you were trying to discredit them.

Just wanted to make clear that I wasn't trying to suggest there's anything untoward going on. I don't want to imply that SoS are anything other than earnest in their aims and love for the club, just felt there were points that Andrew Moran raised that warranted a closer look.

I think it's because criticism of SOS is well received on this site, a friendly audience...

That's what I don't get,

Why is this forum so anti SoS?

I wouldn't suggest for one minute that the Union was the dogs bollocks,

but by and large it was good in getting rid of Hicks and Gillett,

Why the animosity?

Guest ShoePiss
That's what I don't get,

Why is this forum so anti SoS?

I wouldn't suggest for one minute that the Union was the dogs bollocks,

but by and large it was good in getting rid of Hicks and Gillett,

Why the animosity?

Yeah same, they make mistakes but generally they've done a lot of good things.

I can't explain why this site is different to the others out there and it's probably best not to bother guessing.

I'm still looking forward to Graham or someone else from SOS to respond to Andrew Moran's letter though, appreciate they have jobs etc but I hope it comes soon.

Guest Andrew Moran

Hello fellow Reds.

I wanted to come on this thread to follow-up on my email to you, to clarify a couple of things, but I thank Dave for posting it for me, for reasons we discussed by email beforehand.

Before I do, please note what has been stated on the official site about The Supporters Committee is as much as I currently know about it. I’ve had a phone call about it last Thursday and an email about the announcement on Friday, and that is it. The email I sent to your Admin as proof of my ID. I do not currently know how it is going to operate and what the mechanics will be for contacting the committee members to raise issues to take to the club.

As you will gather, things have happened between making my application to the committee and now!

“Pidge” has correctly identified the heart of the matter with regard to the season ticket loan; that to be eligible for the Season Ticket Loan, you must save into the SOS Share scheme.

Now think about that and what does that mean: before you can even get your season ticket loan, you have to commit to saving up for something else that costs £500.

How much of that £500 do you have to save before you are considered to have been saving on a “regular basis”, and then eligible for the Season Ticket Loan?

What if you just want the season ticket loan without saving for an SOS Share in a takeover?

Also consider accessibility and the benefits of the SOS Share Scheme.

“The account will not attract any dividend and may be subject to an Administration Fee in the future.”

So you have to save-up at least £500 to have £500. If they start charging a fee, then you will have to save more than £500 to have £500.

“Share withdrawals will not generally be available on this account because of the reasons why it was set up, however we will allow one withdrawal per calendar year to allow for emergencies.”

Surely that means that the SOS Share Scheme is designed to be difficult to take money out of, so that you commit this money to a takeover share, but there is an annual allowance for “emergencies”, should any such occur. Despite the lack of any dividend and the possibility of a fee being charged, you can see the point of the scheme. It is meant for people who want to avoid being tempted to use the money for other things.

On its own, I don’t have an issue with this share account, but having now attached it to the season ticket loan, by requiring you to be a “regular saver” into it; I cannot see how this represents a good deal for the saver. That was my initial concern, and Spirit of Shankly, when announcing the Season Ticket Loan, was not exactly keen to mention the link between it and the Share Scheme.

Spirit of Shankly did eventually put that aspect straight when on 22 April 2011, they came up with the FAQ on their site. The FAQ however created more problems than it solved.

Do I have to save into the SOS Share Account?

Yes.It is a requirement of Credit Unions that those accessing their services are saving regularly. The minimum amount is £2 per week. The other account to save into has no minimum and is for you to use as you see fit.”

That was a copy/paste. Notice that lack of a space after “Yes.” A bad edit, but I also think that this is a change of subject. This minimum £2 per week is surely in reference to the regular credit union account that you must also save into to be eligible for anything else that the Credit Union offers, including the SOS Share Scheme.

From the application form:

“I wish to save a total of £_______ per week / month broken down as follows: (please note it is a condition of Credit Union membership that you regularly save at least £2.00 per week in Share 1 – this opens up your membership and gives access to the SOS A/C so please include this in your totals)

Share 1: £_______ (must be at least £2.00 per week) S.O.S. A/C: £_______ (no limit)”

So you have to pay £2 per week into that first account (Share 1), then be a “regular saver” into the SOS Share scheme, however much and for however long that is for, and if you are successful with all that, then pay back your loan within 12 months – and perhaps do it all over again next year, for next year’s season ticket.

Back to the SOS FAQ:

Do I have to use the money in the SOS Share Account towards a share in supporter investment?

No, you don't. This money can only be withdrawn once per year, but allows you to save for anything - holidays, European trips, future Season Tickets, and if you wish, a future stake in any supporter investment.”

Really? What did Partners say again?

“Share withdrawals will not generally be available on this account because of the reasons why it was set up, however we will allow one withdrawal per calendar year to allow for emergencies.”

Anything? Emergencies?

I think you will find that when SOS says "No", it is talking about the opportunity to save up £500, but at the end of the day, not authorise the money to be used for a takeover - although that is the point of the scheme - but of course you should be able to change your mind. However, to then go on and talk about being able to "save" for "anything" with the money put into that scheme, seems to belie what Partners says you can do with the money.

Share withdrawals will not generally be available on this account because of the reasons why it was set up, however we will allow one withdrawal per calendar year to allow for emergencies

Also, check what Graham Smith has been saying about it on your forum, when answering the point made above him, that:

“If the season ticket loan was not attached to the share scheme, it would be all right, I think.”

Graham responds:

“It isn't linked.

You have to join the Credit Union and to do that you have to take out a £2 share in the credit union.

On top of that you do the savings thing.”

The savings thing? The savings thing would seem to include being a “regular saver” into the SOS Share Scheme, which he says the Season Ticket loan “isn’t linked” to.

“PGee” = Paul Gardner, I believe.

“You can save from as little as £2 per week to get the loan. It is your money though and not tied up in a share that you will never see again. You can make one withdrawal a year from the SOS share account, but then it is your choice what you do with the money at Partners after paying off the Season Ticket Loan."

Clear as mud. Let’s take that apart, shall we?

“You can save from as little as £2 per week to get the loan.”

That again seems to refer to the necessity of the £2 per week that you have to keep paying into your initial credit union account that makes you eligible to access everything else, including the SOS Share Account, and the Season Ticket Loan. You have to do this first and foremost. He is not therefore talking about what you have to save on top of that, into the SOS Share Scheme, in order to be eligible for the loan.

“It is your money though and not tied up in a share that you will never see again.”

That would support my conclusions above. He goes on:

“You can make one withdrawal a year from the SOS share account…”

Right…

“…but then it is your choice what you do with the money…”

Wait for it…

“ …at Partners after paying off the Season Ticket Loan.”

Oh, so he was not referring to the money that you can only take out once a year from the SOS Share Scheme, but the money that you have left in your initial credit union account (Share 1), after you have paid off the season ticket. Shame that this was not what the point was...

Yes, that money in that regular credit union account, you should be able to do what you want with, but note that if you do want a season ticket loan; from the Partners “Need a Loan?” page:

“Please note savings cannot be withdrawn from share account 1 whilst you are repaying any loan.”

Seems there is something that you cannot use the money for then - you cannot use it to repay a credit union loan from the same credit union.

Now, aside from trying to be taken seriously as a fans representative, and an enabler of Supporter Ownership of our Football Club, Spirit of Shankly is heavily involved with the setting-up of a “Football Quarter”, with KEIOC.

What do I think of the “Football Quarter?” I think it’s bloody brilliant! I think it is exactly what not just Anfield, and North Liverpool, or the city, but the whole of Merseyside could do with. It could change a blighted area into a regional if not national or possibly even international attraction, as well as helping both the Football clubs.

But if this is going to ever happen, SOS is going to have to improve upon…

• Graham Smith: “It isn’t linked”
  • Fran Stanton: “...travel is already fully booked…/…agreed strongly at the AGM…”
  • Roy Bentham: “There was a vote and our membership decided we should support the TUC and the march, that we should do our bit to oppose what is going on…”

…because:

• It is linked;
  • It wasn’t fully booked and no such thing was agreed at the AGM, as the draft minutes and the video both confirm;
  • There was no vote, so the rest of that statement couldn’t have happened, either.

Check the facts and draw your own conclusions.

Andrew

PS

The following questions were asked of Partners Credit Union on 23 April 2011, by what you might call a "mystery shopper". No reply has been forthcoming.

Sent: 23 April 2011 23:42

To: enquiries@partnerscreditunion.co.uk

Subject: Liverpool Season Ticket Loan

Hello

Can you answer some questions about a season ticket loan?

After saving £2 pw with you for 10 weeks in a regular credit union share account, how much do I have to save into the sos share accoiunt before being able to get a season ticket loan?

If I start saving into the sos share account, do I have to keep saving £2 pw as well?

Why is it a requirement to have to save for an sos share to get this season ticket loan?

What happens when I save the £500 for a share? How would I become eligible for a season ticket loan then?

You say that you can get money out of the sos share account only once a year for emergencies. Can you explain to me what an emergency might be and give an example of something that is not an emergency?

You say

SAVINGS CANNOT BE WITHDRAWN FROM SHARE ACCOUNT 1 WHILST YOU ARE REPAYING ANY LOAN

Is share account 1 the regular credit union account you setup at the start that you pay £2 pw into? If no, then what is it?

Am I not better off just saving up to get a loan for about £800 as a normal credit union member or does the selected season ticket loan have a different interest rate?

What's the benefit of a spirit of shankly season ticket loan instead of a regular credit union loan for the same amount?

Thanks

With respect, there is a whole SOS page on the Partner's Credit Union site which I've linked above. Nowhere on that page does it say that you have to pay into the SOS Share Account to apply for a season ticket loan. In fact, it goes on to say that their existing non-SOS members have applied for loans for season tickets in the past, and even for a loan for travel costs to Istanbul.

Why is this lad using his place and name on the supporters committee to do a hatchet job on SOS via the TLW forum?

Civil war isn't what the committee is supposed to be about mate. If you want to report SOS to the authorities over certain things in your own time then that's your business, but it's not part of your remit on the supporters committee, is it?

If this is the type of character representing the fans on the committee then it's going to be a disaster.

Hello fellow Reds.

I wanted to come on this thread to follow-up on my email to you, to clarify a couple of things, but I thank Dave for posting it for me, for reasons we discussed by email beforehand.

Before I do, please note what has been stated on the official site about The Supporters Committee is as much as I currently know about it. I’ve had a phone call about it last Thursday and an email about the announcement on Friday, and that is it. The email I sent to your Admin as proof of my ID. I do not currently know how it is going to operate and what the mechanics will be for contacting the committee members to raise issues to take to the club.

As you will gather, things have happened between making my application to the committee and now!

“Pidge” has correctly identified the heart of the matter with regard to the season ticket loan; that to be eligible for the Season Ticket Loan, you must save into the SOS Share scheme.

Now think about that and what does that mean: before you can even get your season ticket loan, you have to commit to saving up for something else that costs £500.

How much of that £500 do you have to save before you are considered tohave been saving on a “regular basis”, and then eligible for the Season Ticket Loan?

What if you just want the season ticket loan without saving for an SOS Share in a takeover?

Also consider accessibility and the benefits of the SOS Share Scheme.

So you have to save-up at least £500 to have £500. If they start charging a fee, then you will have to save more than £500 to have £500.

Surely that means that the SOS Share Scheme is designed to be difficult to take money out of, so that you commit this money to a takeover share, but

there is an annual allowance for “emergencies”, should any such occur. Despite the lack of any dividend and the possibility of a fee being charged, you can see the point of the scheme. It is meant for people who want to avoid being tempted to use the money for other things.

On its own, I don’t have an issue with this share account, but having now attached it to the season ticket loan, by requiring you to be a “regular saver”

into it; I cannot see how this represents a good deal for the saver. That was my initial concern, and Spirit of Shankly, when announcing the Season Ticket Loan, was not exactly keen to mention the link between it and the Share Scheme.

Spirit of Shankly did eventually put that aspect straight when on 22 April 2011, they came up with the FAQ on their site. The FAQ however created more problems than it solved.

That was a copy/paste. Notice that lack of a space after “Yes.” A bad edit, but I also think that this is a change of subject. This minimum £2 per week is surely in reference to the regular credit union account that you must also save into to be eligible for anything else that the Credit Union offers, including the SOS Share Scheme.

From the application form:

So you have to pay £2 per week into that first account (Share 1), then be a “regular saver” into the SOS Share scheme, however much and for however long that is for, and if you are successful with all that, then pay back your loan within 12 months – and perhaps do it all over again next year, for next year’s season ticket.

Back to the SOS FAQ:

Really? What did Partners say again?

Anything? Emergencies?

I think you will find that when SOS says "No", it is talking about the opportunity to save up £500, but at the end of the day, not authorise the money to be used for a takeover - although that is the point of the scheme - but of course you should be able to change your mind. However, to then go on and talk about being able to "save" for "anything" with the money put into that scheme, seems to belie what Partners says you can do with the money.

Also, check what Graham Smith has been saying about it on your forum, when answering the point made above him, that:

Graham responds:

The savings thing? The savings thing would seem to include being a “regular saver” into the SOS Share Scheme, which he says the Season Ticket loan “isn’t linked” to.

“PGee” = Paul Gardner, I believe.

Clear as mud. Let’s take that apart, shall we?

That again seems to refer to the necessity of the £2 per week that you have to keep paying into your initial credit union account that makes you eligible to access everything else, including the SOS Share Account, and the Season Ticket Loan. You have to do this first and foremost. He is not therefore talking about what you have to save on top of that, into the SOS Share Scheme, in order to be eligible for the loan.

That would support my conclusions above. He goes on:

Right…

Wait for it…

Oh, so he was not referring to the money that you can only take out once a year from the SOS Share Scheme, but the money that you have left in your initial credit union account (Share 1), after you have paid off the season ticket. Shame that this was not what the point was...

Yes, that money in that regular credit union account, you should be able to do what you want with, but note that if you do want a season ticket loan; from the Partners “Need a Loan?” page:

Seems there is something that you cannot use the money for then - you cannot use it to repay a credit union loan from the same credit union

Now, aside from trying to be taken seriously as a fans representative, and an enabler of Supporter Ownership of our Football Club, Spirit of Shankly is heavily involved with the setting-up of a “Football Quarter”, with KEIOC.

What do I think of the “Football Quarter?” I think it’s bloody brilliant! I think it is exactly what not just Anfield, and North Liverpool, or the city, but the whole of Merseyside could do with. It could change a blighted area into a regional if not national or possibly even international attraction, as well as helping both the Football clubs.

But if this is going to ever happen, SOS is going to have to improve upon…

• Graham Smith: “It isn’t linked”
  • Fran Stanton: “...travel is already fully booked…/…agreed strongly at the AGM…”
  • Roy Bentham: “There was a vote and our membership decided we should support the TUC and the march, that we should do our bit to oppose what is going on…”
    [/list

…because:

• It is linked;
    • It wasn’t fully booked and no such thing was agreed at the AGM, as the draft minutes and the video both confirm;
    • There was no vote, so the rest of that statement couldn’t have happened, either.

Check the facts and draw your own conclusions.

Andrew

PS

The following questions were asked of Partners Credit Union on 23 April 2011, by what you might call a "mystery shopper". No reply has been forthcoming.

Sent: 23 April 2011 23:42

To: enquiries@partnerscreditunion.co.uk

Subject: Liverpool Season Ticket Loan

Hello

Can you answer some questions about a season ticket loan?

After saving £2 pw with you for 10 weeks in a regular credit union share account, how much do I have to save into the sos share accoiunt before being able to get a season ticket loan?

If I start saving into the sos share account, do I have to keep saving £2 pw as well?

Why is it a requirement to have to save for an sos share to get this season

ticket loan?

What happens when I save the £500 for a share? How would I become eligible for a season ticket loan then?

You say that you can get money out of the sos share account only once a year for emergencies. Can you explain to me what an emergency might be and give an example of something that is not an emergency?

You say

SAVINGS CANNOT BE WITHDRAWN FROM SHARE ACCOUNT 1 WHILST YOU ARE REPAYING ANY LOAN

Is share account 1 the regular credit union account you setup at the start that you pay £2 pw into? If no, then what is it

Am I not better off just saving up to get a loan for about £800 as a normal credit union member or does the selected season ticket loan have a different interest rate?

What's the benefit of a spirit of shankly season ticket loan instead of a regular credit union loan for the same amount?

Thanks

You should work for a tabloid the amount of times you are selective with portions of quotes.

How many times can one guy be wrong in one, albeit very long winded and self serving post?

TLW get used to these long winded rants, and seen as though my email has been quoted, I might aswell put the whole email transcript up and let people decide for themselves.

Andrew I am not going to get into a discussion with you because I've been there before, I feel sorry for the people you now stand for as an unelected representative. But it's nice to see you still havve a lot of time on your hands to deal with their queries.