You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Head fuck indeed. Was this a routine scan and she isn't symptomatic? 

I'm not sure if the scan was a routine check up or due to the pain, but she's had quite bad pains around where her liver is, and has had for a couple of months. Says the pains pretty unbearable at the moment. I don't know even know if that's indicative of anything.

ROTOQ, it could be due to a simple hepatic cyst or fatty infiltration of the liver although there's obviously a concern because she has pains.

A lot of the time when they find stuff like this they have to make comments such as 'appearances concerning for metastatic disease' simply because she's had a previous cancer, it's just a matter of procedure to make sure the follow up gets done quickly to make sure they don't miss anything.

Fingers crossed for your mam mate!

• Upvote 1

Yeah all the best mate, I know this is very easy for us to say, but all you can do is try your best to stay positive until tests determine the facts, then even if it's the worst, she's beat it once and she'll beat it again. 

Tests are tests though, we've all sat up late worrying about results and they've come back fine, and we've wasted all that time getting our insides chewed up. 

My boss's sister in law was told it was "99% certain" she gad cancer, but got the tests back and it was benign. 

You just don't know, stay positive mate. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry to add more shitty news to this thread, but it appears our neighbour, and really good friend of the missus cancer hasnt gone.

The poor girl (40 next week) thought she had beaten Boel and liver cancer, she had a scan the other day and its now appeared in her brain. 

She has 2 young kids, 8 and 3. Fuck me, you think you have it tough until you hear news like this. It doesnt bear thinking about does it. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Cancer charities have reacted with disappointment to news that a drug to treat advanced prostate cancer has not been deemed cost-effective for the NHS by health officials.

Enzalutamide is currently available on the Cancer Drugs Fund in England, which enables patients to access drugs that would not otherwise have been routinely available from the NHS.

But the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) has published draft guidance in which it says the drug has not been proven to work well enough for the price the NHS must pay for it.

The drug, also called Xtandi, is licensed to treat people with prostate cancer that has spread to other parts of the body who have not yet had chemotherapy, and in whom treatments to lower the amount of male sex hormones – which normally stop the cancer from growing and spreading – no longer work.

Nice said there were also too many uncertainties associated with the evidence provided by drug manufacturer Astellas Pharma.

Nice chief executive Sir Andrew Dillon said: “The clinical trial results showed enzalutamide can extend life when compared with placebo, but it was not clear for how long.

“This was because there were uncertainties associated with way the company had carried out adjustments to take account of the effect on length of life of treatments used when enzalutamide is no longer effective.

“The Appraisal Committee was also concerned that the company had not adequately evaluated the uncertainties in its cost-effectiveness analyses.”

Owen Sharp, chief executive of Prostate Cancer UK, said this and other recent draft prostate cancer drug decisions “serve to reiterate the urgent need for reform of the drug appraisal process in England”.

“This draft announcement once again leaves men with advanced prostate cancer in England without routine access to another clinically effective treatment,” he said.

“Enzalutamide has been shown to have a great range of benefits when prescribed to men who have not previously had chemotherapy. However, what should be a cut and dry decision to recommend it seems to have come down to issues about cost and uncertainties with the clinical trial data.

“It’s the same old story, and we need to see Nice and the manufacturer work together to reverse this draft decision. Clinicians should have the flexibility to prescribe the drug at this earlier stage if they know it would help the men they are treating.”

Professor Paul Workman, chief executive of the Institute of Cancer Research, London, said: “Enzalutamide is an exciting drug currently available on the NHS to treat late-stage prostate cancer – and there is now very good evidence that it is beneficial to men if used earlier on in treatment, before they go through more toxic chemotherapy. It is very disappointing to hear that men will not be able to receive this innovative drug earlier in their treatment.

“Following last week’s rejection of olaparib for ovarian cancer, this decision also underlines the fact that there is clearly an NHS bottleneck for cancer drugs – with many exciting new drugs being blocked either by Nice or for the Cancer Drugs Fund, or both.

“There is clearly an important problem that needs to be addressed urgently in order to convert more of the pioneering cancer research we’ve seen in recent years into concrete benefits for NHS patients.”

A spokesman for Astellas Pharma said it was “disappointed” by the decision.

He said: “Astellas Pharma is hopeful that this draft recommendation will be overturned as the process moves forward, so as to give men access to a much-needed treatment option in this setting, and is committed to continuing to work with Nice to achieve this.”

On my phone here and think I may have begged you by mistake. I will right this wrong.

And while we're on the subject in Scotland all men over 50 are entitled to request a screening test. Does this apply elsewhere? If so, do it. It detected it in someone very dear to me. You know it makes sense

Guest Pistonbroke

On my phone here and think I may have begged you by mistake. I will right this wrong.

And while we're on the subject in Scotland all men over 50 are entitled to request a screening test. Does this apply elsewhere? If so, do it. It detected it in someone very dear to me. You know it makes sense

In Germany you can get free tests when you reach 50, certain cancer tests are done free for over 35 and 40 as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

My mates dad is in the final stages now, hours rather than days. He's in a lot of pain but because he's at home he can't have the same level of morphine if he'd be in hospital. Nurses told his family today they are 'prolonging the death stage' by giving him food and water. All the family with him have said they'd personally administer a fatal morphine shot to end his misery. It's just not civilised to keep him alive.

My mate is a bit of a dry bloke, won't show how much it's hurting him.

• Upvote 5

My mates dad is in the final stages now, hours rather than days. He's in a lot of pain but because he's at home he can't have the same level of morphine if he'd be in hospital. Nurses told his family today they are 'prolonging the death stage' by giving him food and water. All the family with him have said they'd personally administer a fatal morphine shot to end his misery. It's just not civilised to keep him alive.

My mate is a bit of a dry bloke, won't show how much it's hurting him.

Remember that mate.

Look after him.

• Upvote 1

So Mum had a mastectomy last year and got the 'all clear'. The jargon she has text me today from a recent scan: They've found an 'indeterminate low echogenic lesion in the left lobe of the liver which wasn't present on previous scans. Appearances concerning for metastatic disease.' I'm trying to remain positive and remind her to wait for confirmation from test results but Google is most certainly not kind to her today. Anyone know of 'false alarms' regarding a low echogenic lesion? Can they just be cysts etc? The timing of its development is the main concern I think. It doesn't look good. Although they said it could take 3 weeks for test results. Am I clutching at straws to think if it was really bad there'd be more of a rush on it?

Headfuck.

A bit of good news. Mums to have an MRI to confirm but has had other tests and it looks like it's all clear. I can't remember the official term but its a 'bleed' that's showing up. Probably not exactly brilliant but not the big C-word.

Just goes to show, it's not worth worrying over until you know the facts. Even then, worry wouldn't fix it anyway. If/when anything like this falls upon me, I'll be heading to stevebaby for inspiration.

• Upvote 9

A bit of good news. Mums to have an MRI to confirm but has had other tests and it looks like it's all clear. I can't remember the official term but its a 'bleed' that's showing up. Probably not exactly brilliant but not the big C-word.

Just goes to show, it's not worth worrying over until you know the facts. Even then, worry wouldn't fix it anyway. If/when anything like this falls upon me, I'll be heading to stevebaby for inspiration.

Shouldn't we all mate, shouldn't we all.

• Upvote 1

Outstanding mate, give her a hug from the GF. Tell her it's from the GF too.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm so glad for you, mate. I've been dodging this thread because it's raw as fuck for me. I'm glad to hear the good news though.

• Upvote 2

That's excellent news mate.  Delighted for you all. 

• Upvote 1

It's all very well to say you shouldn't worry but it's only human to worry about those we care about.

Fingers crossed that it all turns out ok for your mum

• Upvote 1