You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

29 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Didn’t read the rest of your post but I was wondering who would be the first to say something like that. Congrats. 

I just feel the story has gone to the dogs and judging by the reactions on social media I am far from alone in thinking this. As an avid fan of the books, I feel the show has gone all a bit Disney. I'm sure it's absolutely brilliant for those who have not read the books so are not as expectant as I am.

Visually it was stunning but the plot lines have gone to stink. There are so many story arcs that have not been brought to a satisfying conclusion or have been weakly described that it just feels so rushed now. I get it that It's "Game of Thrones" so the action has to be in around King's Landing and the Iron Throne for the finale, but there's so many WTF  moments now. Another example - Bran warging into Crows and just having himself ringside a seat to the battle without doing anything to help? Shite.

I'm hoping the final 3 pull it all in and tell us what we need to know.

• Like 1

Thought it was weak, but might give it another go later. 7am not the ideal time. 

Had issues with the writing, but the plot points were solid enough (although felt the others should have joined the fight, there was scope for much more push/pull).  Thought the direction was terrible, especially with theon.  Didn't feel he got the redemption he deserved, should have been a stoic facing down of his fears, not running in like an idiot.  Even with the full frontal approach the blocking made him look ridiculous for me.  Otherwise it was outright incoherent in places.

Also Sam, the fact he's trained as a maester should have given him a role to play in the castle, not just have him revert to type.

That said some of these things could set up decent moments to come so not blasting it at all.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I just feel the story has gone to the dogs and judging by the reactions on social media I am far from alone in thinking this. As an avid fan of the books, I feel the show has gone all a bit Disney. I'm sure it's absolutely brilliant for those who have not read the books so are not as expectant as I am.

Visually it was stunning but the plot lines have gone to stink. There are so many story arcs that have not been brought to a satisfying conclusion or have been weakly described that it just feels so rushed now. I get it that It's "Game of Thrones" so the action has to be in around King's Landing and the Iron Throne for the finale, but there's so many WTF  moments now. Another example - Bran warging into Crows and just having himself ringside a seat to the battle without doing anything to help? Shite.

I'm hoping the final 3 pull it all in and tell us what we need to know.

I’ve read the books and disagree. I’ve got no issue with that, but calling it fucking shite says to me that you’ve either lost objectivity or your expectations have been a touch high. This episode was just a part of an overall story. 

It happens with everything. It was ‘they ruined the Sopranos with that shit ending’ it was ‘TNG isn’t Star Trek’ and so on and so forth. 

Id genuinely ask what people want from a TV show if that was classed as absolute shite. I get that there might have been some things that people would have preferred not to happen or something, but fucking shite? To each his own, but my own is miles from that. 

• Upvote 4

Just watched it. 

Couple of gripes, it was way too dark to see properly but will watch it in a dark room as per an earlier suggestion to see if that helps, found the dragon scenes rediculous, was expecting Theon to do what Ayra did, Jon Snow just gave up and it felt too easy to kill the NK to end it all. 

Given all of that, I still enjoyed it and loved that it was Ayra being the badass again and looking forward to Cersei getting her comeuppance in a nice, gruesome way. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Sherman said:

I'm 53 and had a tear in my eye when Lady Mormont did what she did. I thought it was great. Not sure why Danyeras would agree though to let her entire force be wiped out so early and easily but I suppose it adds to the story. At least she has one Dragon left, maybe 2.

Oh, yeah. When she was crushed... holy fuck. That's classic Game of Thrones epic death scene right there. Brilliant. The Dothraki are only part of her force, but the way they met the White Walkers in an open field and got utterly obliterated, having had their weapons set on fire by the Red Woman - giving the feeling that they were going into an epic battle, but *poof* they're gone. That's some excellent scene setting right there. It's hard to make a TV viewer anxious, and it required a lot of set up. They've set that up over 60 odd hours, shown them being virtually unbeatable in that scenario, fighting the Lannisters and having Jaime shit his load about it, then using that to show how fucking unreal the enemy is... excellent. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Wondering if we'll get some kind of exposition after the fact on the Night King now, like who he was and what his motives were. Its not essential, but it would be interesting to see if the writers had a backstory for him in their locker.

I think it might all be done by bran in the next few episodes, traveling to the past and shit. Unless when they decided they where going to be doing prequels they changed the direction of the show to leave some story for that.

I think the Bran warging into the crows will be explained, at least I hope so.

Agree that the Lady Mormont scene was great, I enjoyed her from her 1st scene.

Also liked the Theon Death, Bran telling him he was Family.

Still think that they could have killed some of the main characters, Jorah being the only real big recurring one to die, Edd wasnt that major a character. 

Waiting to see how the Bron Jaime/Tyrion will play out

Great TV except for the first 20 minutes or so being way too dark. Had to turn the brightness to max just to have some idea of what was going on.  

Hope there are still two dragons fighting fit because there should be fuck all army left.  

Hound v Mountain and Arya v Cersei showdowns on the way. 

21 minutes ago, aws said:

Great TV except for the first 20 minutes or so being way too dark.

I watched it early in the morning when it was still dark so it was fine (plus... HDR) but I had an issue last week when I had the blinds open and the sun was shining. Couldn’t see dick all. That said, it was pitch black in the middle of the night. It needed to be dark. I think it set the scene perfectly, because it gave the sense of tension. That first part was full on tension. 

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I watched it early in the morning when it was still dark so it was fine (plus... HDR) but I had an issue last week when I had the blinds open and the sun was shining. Couldn’t see dick all. That said, it was pitch black in the middle of the night. It needed to be dark. I think it set the scene perfectly, because it gave the sense of tension. That first part was full on tension. 

I'm bound to watch it again later this week so will try the darkroom  approach.  

17 minutes ago, Welsh said:

How the hell did Ghost survive?!

Who knows, but that's defo him standing behind Sam on the preview video above at the 18 second mark when Jon and co are going out to burn all the dead bodies.  

Im hoping now they've freed some of the CGI budget by  getting rid of all the dead that they are now  gonna include some epic wolf scenes in the coming battles.

Crazy isn't it haha, goes in with the dothraki, they all die but Ghost makes it out alive.

I'm disappointed with how quick the Night King was killed off and I'd like to know more about him but it was a great episode none the less.