You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Cole: Stay or go???

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Him or Maxi has to go, no room in squad for both

Hmm, I can see them both playing in the same side but at the same time I would like to keep Cole if I had to choose between the two. Maxi is good but we might just more money for him if he need to sell either of them.

Cole has trickery, maybe that will come out even more when we play an attacking formation with Gerrard, Suarez and Carroll up with him...

While I do agree to some extent that he has lost pace and flair, the reasons are understandable, first game gets sent off quite harshly and that sets his confidence back .

Somewhat unlucky with injuries and a previous manager who's approach would never suit someone like Cole .

He tends to "over try" to impress and is now lacking 4 or 5 games of match fitness .

To get rid of him in the summer would be a little hasty, I think he still has a lot to offer in terms of impact sub/squad player, he just needs time to get fit and find his footing with the team .

I'd say keep him for 1 more year and see how he develops .

If he can prove his fitness from now till the end of the season then I would defo keep him, however, if he continues to pick up little niggles that keep him out for a week here and a week there then I would move him on in the summer.

I'd love him to be a success but he hasn't been injury free for 18+ months now, hopefully he's due a little bit of luck on the injury front.

I'd certinly play him again Sunday if he's fit

I back up that idea. It would a great test for him. His last chance was near the end of the game, got to it but shot wide. I think there will be more from him IF we can get him fit.

There is a fine line blaming confidence and match fitness. I am hoping once he is fit that things will simply click into place for him.

Kenny said Joe needs a run of at least 4 or 5 games before he should be judged at all. As Kenny said when you turn on the tap it takes a while before the hot water comes out. If he can keep playing we should be in a better place to assess what he has or hasn't lost in another couple of weeks.

I'd get rid in the summer. Shame, cause I was over the moon (like I was for Kewell) when we signed him. Looks like Ancelotti and Capello knew the score.

Maxi and Raul are much better options and much more reliable. If we end up signing Ashley Young or Hazard, it would pretty make Joe's place in the squad redundant anyway.

For £90k a week that he's getting, I'd expect a hell of a lot more than he's given us so far. It wouldn't be unfair to say he's completely bombed.

Guest davelfc

I can only hope that with a decent set of strikers up front and Gerrard back we will see a lot more from Cole. I cling to the belief that things have not worked out well for one reason or another and under the right circumstances it will click for him.

He can go for me as his injury problems will get worse and worse so he won't get the run of games in the side.

Couple this with the wages he gets and Ithink we should unload him in the summer.

Going forward where is he going to get into the side this august

For a start, who gives a fuck what the papers say?

Cole is determined to make it work, I think he'll come good, if you look at when he's played, the few times we've put in attacking performances he's been good, but when we've camped in our own half he's been shite. It's not rocket science.

Maxi is a good player too, people have really short memories if they can't even remember his performances three months ago when he was our best player. His form has gone out of the window though and he looks like a luxury to be fair. He's had some stinkers recently. I don't think we can play him without Stevie in the team, otherwise, like Cole, he'll be too deep trying to start moves rather than doing what he's good at and helping complete them.

Wouldn't cry if either were to leave, but I think they are far from our worst players. Cutting the technically capable players first seems like a stupid plan of action to me.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Stay definitely.....although how old is Cole?

Anyway a bit "gonna get shouted down for this" but why as Maxi earnt the right to be called by his first name? Just a thought...