You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

RobbieOR

I hadn't looked at the card in any kind of detail before watching that, didn't realise we had them at 111-5. One of the most effective uses of the batting powerplay I've seen there, that period totally changed the game. As for O'Brien, when a player is seeing the ball that well all you can really do is stand back and give him a clap.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why shouldnt' they? I hope loads get into it on the back of this.

Great great result. I didn't exactly know what was going on at times, but loved it. No matter what now, those lads will get a great welcome home now.

Interesting to note that there were more Irish lads born in Ireland then English lads born in England on the teams.

People will just be into it because 'we beat de brits' or something stupid like that, not because thet love the game and watch it.

Re: Lasith Malinga

Has his action been investigated yet?

Not sure. Why should it?

The way he bowls, its seems as though he's not rolling his arm over fully and its like he's 'chucking it'.

I don't think the angle of his entire arm is a problem. He's just a slingy bowler, like Tait, Edwards, and various other quick bowlers. Admittedly he's even more round arm than most. Its just easier to generate pace like this. A few spinners were similar, Ian Salisbury, for e.g. Because its also easier to generate spin. As long as it isn't underarm, its ok.

What matters is the angle between forearm and upperarm. Whether or not he's bowling with enough of a straight arm. Can't remember the exact requirements, they differ for quicks and spinners, I believe.

His action seems to be fine, if incredibly difficult to pick up for batsman.

I tried to bowl like Malinga and almost broke my shoulder blade. How the fuck he does it is anyone's guess.

(Other posts also made on the subject)

As far as I'm aware his action has never even been questioned, nor should it be because there's nothing wrong with it at all. Chucking doesn't really have anything to do with the height of the arm and whether it comes fully "over the top," nor is the angle of any bend in the arm an issue, providing it remains constant throughout the delivery. The issue is whether the arm straightens during the delivery and if you watch Malinga, you'll see that it doesn't, or at least not more than the permitted 15 degrees.

If I recall correctly,the limit used to be set at 5 degrees until the ICC commissioned some bio-mechanical studies when Murali was referred for chucking and discovered that every bowler extended the arm by more than 5 degrees, in fact it was deemed to be physically impossible for most people not to do that due to the forces involved. They changed the rules at that point, in the process proving that according to the rules at the time he was referred Murali was indeed a chucker but so was everybody else.

Malinga has always explained his action by saying that he used to play with a tennis ball when he was a kid and it was just a more natural way to bowl with it. It's interesting that someone suggested an English player would have that coached out of him because apparently that's exactly what the Sri Lankan coaches tried to do to Malinga when he first came to their attention. Turns out he's gash bowling with a more conventional action so they sacked it off.

I think he's great to be honest, cricket needs characters and he's certainly one of those. Most batsmen say they find him so hard to play against because he releases the ball so much lower than other bowlers and it makes it very difficult to pick out - the number of times he goes through the tail enders like shit through a goose would seem to back that up.

Oh and Lewis - don't destroy your future first class career trying to emulate him mate. Shoulder surgery can't be much fun.

Well I knew your boys were going to fuck one of the test nations in this tournament, didn't imagine that it would be us though. I bet you're totally stoked. Obviously I haven't seen any of the game because I was at work (I've hardly seen any of the WC so far other than highlights and England v India) but if you chased down a score of over 300 that's got to be down to ability rather than luck.

I can't wait to see this innings from O'Brien, 100 from 50 balls is fucking outrageous and I believe Cusack had a good knock as well.

England's strengths seem to fall at either end of the cricketing spectrum these days - we've shown that we're a good test side again and have learned to play the cricket-lite that is T20 effectively, but we seem to be struggling to find the right balance for the one day game.

Jimmy Anderson isn't pulling up any trees on the sub continent wickets and Broad's bowling figures today are piss-poor, albeit coming on his return from injury, but those two need to do some proper work in the nets and stat taking wickets of we're going to get anywhere in this competition.

One thing that does puzzle me - we lost eight wickets today so who were the two players that didn't bat? The two that I mentioned above. OK, Anderson is best known for his night watchman work rather than debonair run scoring but for a pace bowler the lad knows how to swing a bat. Broad though played as a batsman right through the youth levels and has definitely shown flashes of the kind of ability to suggest that he could develop into a fully fledged all-rounder in a few years time.

I can only assume he was so far down the order to protect him until he re-establishes his fitness because when you consider that Prior, Bresnan, Yardy and Swanny put on 22 runs between them against an associate side, there would seem to be an argument for getting Broad to the crease ahead of at least two of those whilst there's still a chance of a batsman being there for him to play with.

That's actually pretty fucking funny.

I'm not at all keen on KP opening, even in the one day game - he needs the freedom to swing his bat. KP is never more at risk of getting out than when he's focused on staying in.

(Edit: Watching the highlights here - have we brought the three stooges in as fielding coaches?)

I'm absolutely chuffed mate. I didnt see it coming and I thought it was over at 111/5. Everybody did. But, O'Brien and Cusack both stuck in and played blinders. Of course we got a bit lucky with England being disabolical in the field, England were magnificent fielders in Australia, they were bound to have a few bad days in the field.

I dont agree with this believing their own hype rubbish either, as i said above, England played out of their skin in the ashes and everything went their way. Its pretty hard to keep that level of top class cricket up for 5 straight months in Australia and now The Sub continent. its just impossible and all the effort they put into the winning 3-1 down under is starting to catch up on them now.

The England players need a rest, the last thing they need to be doing now is going off to play IPL after this tournament, they need to rest for Sri Lanka and India in the summer.

I'm absolutely chuffed mate. I didnt see it coming and I thought it was over at 111/5. Everybody did. But, O'Brien and Cusack both stuck in and played blinders. Of course we got a bit lucky with England being disabolical in the field, England were magnificent fielders in Australia, they were bound to have a few bad days in the field.

I dont agree with this believing their own hype rubbish either, as i said above, England played out of their skin in the ashes and everything went their way. Its pretty hard to keep that level of top class cricket up for 5 straight months in Australia and now The Sub continent. its just impossible and all the effort they put into the winning 3-1 down under is starting to catch up on them now.

The England players need a rest, the last thing they need to be doing now is going off to play IPL after this tournament, they need to rest for Sri Lanka and India in the summer.

Yeah, I said this when there was some surprise about the number of England players overlooked for the IPL this time - it was attributed to the fact that they won't be available for a chunk of the matches but I suspect another concern for the IPL sides was that they'd be burned out for the games they were available for.

That seven game one day series against the Aussies after the Ashes was a ridiculous idea, way too much cricket with the WC coming up and sure enough, we look jaded compared to our performances during the Ashes tests.

Anyone seen Remmie today?

Muhahahahahahahaha what a result!

Hello!

Can't remember what I said to entice this post, but I'm sure it'll be bumped and it was well deserved.

I will also remember the smug paddies when we batter you at rugby you horrible gibbidy fucks!

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Paddies get beaten, can't help but love the Bangladeshi enthusiasm

Hello!

Can't remember what I said to entice this post, but I'm sure it'll be bumped and it was well deserved.

I will also remember the smug paddies when we batter you at rugby you horrible gibbidy fucks!

Haha to be honest the reason i jeered you yesterday was because of the rugby last year when i also got to jeer you when you mentioned you were looking forward to giving us a good beating, actually i got to do he same in 2009.

Can we play you every week?

Guest PurpleNose
Great result by the Irish, but I cant believe folks are giving them a serious chance against us. No doubt our bowling and fielding is as shite as the poms, maybe even worse, but it still took an unbelieveable innings to beat them. Innings like that are rare and Ireland will need something similar if not better to beat us. I doubt that is going to happen. Then again you never know in sport but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

I am pissed off that we could not beat the shite that are England however. I am also amused though.

You'll bum Ireland everywhere.

Guest Pistonbroke

Nervous game to watch but the bowlers came to the fore and about time. Plus it will stop that fucking wum Indian Red having a dig.