You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

If Mata doesn't end up at Liverpool at the end of the season, it will be because we might not have wanted him enough, rather than him choosing someone else over us. I think Kenny has always admired Downing and sees him as an integral part of his plan. Maybe Kenny thinks that Downing is more suitable to our play than Mata. Mata is a very good player and is probably better than Downing. However, if the manager thinks that he can work with a certain player better or that player is more suited to his vision then so be it. We have to respect his decision. Maybe he is seeing what we are not able to?

BBC reporting we're set to make an £18m bid for Downing.

Shoot me in the head with a big fucking gun.

What happened to Comolli's famed negotiation tactics anyway? The most basic thing in negotiations is not to fucking reek of desperation, which we are doing if you believe the reports, as we somehow got from bidding £12m to £18m in the space of a couple of days. Nothing to stop Villa from just raising the price again, and rightly so from their point of view as it seems likely we'll just raise our bid again. Wonder if we're even contemplating anyone else.

Make it a double shooting, Ben.

Exasperating to see, if Mata's release clause is €25m as reported!

Why don't you two just cunt the fuck off?

Release clauses in Spanish clubs players contracts mean nothing to Clubs outside of Spain. It's just part of employment law in Spain and if a club outside Spain were to match it, it does not mean that the Spanish club has to accept it.

If we are indeed choosing between Mata and Downing and Kenny prefers Downing, he's the only manager who'd get away with it without being declared a fool by the fans. Had it been Benitez or Hodgson they'd have been torn a new one by 99% of the fans.

I just cant comprehend that Kenny would want Downing over Mata. Either we want both, or just Downing and the Mata story is just made up by someone and we have no chance of landing him.

I mean 27 years old Stuart Downing with a couple of good seasons for Boro and Villa compared to Juan Mata 23 years old, one of La Ligas best players outside of the top 2 teams, CL regular, a world cup winner...

If we are indeed choosing between Mata and Downing and Kenny prefers Downing, he's the only manager who'd get away with it without being declared a fool by the fans. Had it been Benitez or Hodgson they'd have been torn a new one by 99% of the fans.

I just cant comprehend that Kenny would want Downing over Mata. Either we want both, or just Downing and the Mata story is just made up by someone and we have no chance of landing him.

I mean 27 years old Stuart Downing with a couple of good seasons for Boro and Villa compared to Juan Mata 23 years old, one of La Ligas best players outside of the top 2 teams, CL regular, a world cup winner...

Dont suppose you know how old that dalglish fella was when we signed him?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why don't you two just cunt the fuck off?

Come on, NWT, they've ever right to question the sanity of this. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, so I might well be wrong, but everything is indicating that Downing is our number 1 target, and Mata is secondary.

You might want Downing, and that's fine, but some don't see the sense in what is being reported.

There are very credible reports saying Downing is the no.1 target. Some like Rory Smith have actually said Mata was a fallback option.

We are fucking hellbent as hellbent can be to get him, people need to stop pretending he's like 4th or 5th choice whom we're getting because we have no CL football to attract anyone better just so they can avoid asking themselves the uncomfortable million dollar question of why we so desperately want a player of his (low) quality and calibre.

We're getting him because we want him. It's a big test of faith but I'll trust Kenny on it, even if I'm not particularly happy about it, I don't need to be. Hopefully it'll all work out.

Jeez, every time I come on here I run across you or your sidekick ,major Tom, having a fucking good old moan, why don't the two of you get togethr somewhere dark and soundproof where you can entertain yourselve by seeing who can bitch and whine the most.

Come on, NWT, they've ever right to question the sanity of this. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, so I might well be wrong, but everything is indicating that Downing is our number 1 target, and Mata is secondary.

You might want Downing, and that's fine, but some don't see the sense in what is being reported.

oh that's who he is! I thought I recognised the cuntishness from somewhere.

7 games 1 goal not exactly a regular is he?

Jeez, every time I come on here I run across you or your sidekick ,major Tom, having a fucking good old moan, why don't the two of you get together somewhere dark and soundproof where you can entertain yourselves by seeing who can bitch and whine the most.

Steady on, guy.

It's a discussion forum and people are putting forward differing views. What's the problem?

I am far from a whiner but I'm not going to sit here and pander to your and Wor Horse's sensitivities by singing Downing's praises from the rooftops. As I have said a gazillion times, he's a good player but I personally question spening £18-20m on him when we clearly have budget constraints.

Just got to trust Kenny to get it right. At the end of the day him and Comolli (sp?) will live or die by their decisions in the transfer market. The way Kenny managed to get a bunch of players who many claimed was the worst/weakest squad we've had in years playing come the end of the season, I have faith in him to get it right regardless of who comes/goes.

Jeez, every time I come on here I run across you or your sidekick ,major Tom, having a fucking good old moan, why don't the two of you get togethr somewhere dark and soundproof where you can entertain yourselve by seeing who can bitch and whine the most.

Jesus, not every opinion you don't like to hear is a moan.

Just fuck off with this shit, I've no mind for it right now, some people here would be better off on RAWK where just dismissing opinions that aren't a consensus is not only acceptable but encouraged. Oh yeah, you'd love it there, sounds like your kind of place. I actually hear they even ban those people who don't toe the line, and that's the dream right?

What was it that I said that you found moany anyway? That we want Downing? Fuck me.

I distinctly recall him being shit against Everton once. But then calling them a long ball team may be a bit harsh.

Why does he get stick? Because he's awful, he concedes stupid penalties, has no positional sense, fuck all ability on the ball (he's almost as bad a hoofer as Carra) and if he was any slower he'd be walking backwards, it's just not viable in today's game, especially not in the Premier League, to play with a CB who's turn on the spot is about as fast as the turn of an aircraft carrier.

The memories of Odemwingie running rings around him are still fresh in my mind, it'll be some time before we see a CB struggle that hard again. It was one of the worst individual performances I've seen from a CB, if not the worst.

You obviously didn't see the ass hat Torres made for Vidic at old whore-house a few seasons back then. He is and accepts he is fourth choice. I'd be more worried about the players getting in the team ahead of him to be honest.

Just got to trust Kenny to get it right. At the end of the day him and Comolli (sp?) will live or die by their decisions in the transfer market. The way Kenny managed to get a bunch of players who many claimed was the worst/weakest squad we've had in years playing come the end of the season, I have faith in him to get it right regardless of who comes/goes.

That's what im saying, if Kenny wants Downing over Mata, he's the only manager who'd have the fans backing and trust making that decision.

And the second part of your post basically enhances the logic in signing Mata IMO, if he can get so much out of, lets be honest, very ordinary players, then what can he get out of top class players ?

I'd love to find out once and for all why Skrtel is castigated by our own fans. I can't think of a reason.

He is terrible defending his zone inside the box, the nomber of times he is giving away free headers or just too much space inside our box is doing my head in.

The few times he actually win a header the ball has more of a chance of going staright up or backwards than forward, for a CB thats not really good enough and this is before we start talking about stupid fouls etc.

His lack of ability to defend his zone especially in the air inside the box is why I want him replaced and why I never have rated him though.

Steady on, guy.

It's a discussion forum and people are putting forward differing views. What's the problem?

I am far from a whiner but I'm not going to sit here and pander to your and Wor Horse's sensitivities by singing Downing's praises from the rooftops. As I have said a gazillion times, he's a good player but I personally question spening £18-20m on him when we clearly have budget constraints.

My sensitivities??? Find a post where I've commented on Downing? I'm not going to argue about your right to comment but the point is, it's continuous, you and Bennie from Crossroads going on and on and on. I got the picture the first time and there's no problem with having a different opinion but it becomes tedious when repeated ad nauseam.

Jesus, not every opinion you don't like to hear is a moan.

Just fuck off with this shit, I've no mind for it right now, some people here would be better off on RAWK where just dismissing opinions that aren't a consensus is not only acceptable but encouraged. Oh yeah, you'd love it there, sounds like your kind of place. I actually hear they even ban those people who don't toe the line, and that's the dream right?

What was it that I said that you found moany anyway? That we want Downing? Fuck me.

it wasn't something you said (as in singular) it was more like a fucking Mantra- on and fucking on- look we get it you don't want us to sign Downing but FFS give it a rest now will you?