You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It is legitimate to suggest that Lucas needs to chip in with the odd extra goal here and there, Kenny will probably be doing this over the next few months. It is not legitimate to suggest that a) he doesn't have this in his locker - he does; b) Parker and Barton are superior players to him - they aren't; and c) he isn't good enough - he is.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banega - not a holding midfielder

Tiote - not a holding midfielder

McCarthy (Wigan) - not a holding midfielder

Henderson (Sunderland) - not a holding midfielder

De Jong - I thought people were moaning about how many freekicks were given away?

Adam - runs round the pitch like a mad man for 75 mins then watches players for the next 15, not a holding midfielder

Milner - not even a central midfielder

Wilshere - not a holding midfielder

Essien - not a holding midfielder (hence why Mikel plays there)

Moutinho - not a holding midfielder

Nolan - not a holding midfielder

Barton - not a holding midfielder

Cattermole - not a holding midfielder

De Rossi - well done

Schweinsteiger - not a holding midfielder

Cambiasso - well done

Fellaini - not a holding midfielder

Rodwell - not a holding midfielder

Martinez - not better defensively than Lucas

Diarra (L) - not a holding midfielder

Veloso - not a holding midfielder

Defour - not a holding midfielder

Inler - not a holding midfielder

M'Vila - not seen enough to comment

Parker - not a holding midfielder

Makoun - not a holding midfielder

I could go on, but there's fucking LOADS of better players than Lucas, who could play his role.

That's before you get to Barca's entire midfield, or Madrid's, or any number of other top clubs, all of whom have several players better than Lucas in CM.

Showing just how little you know about the game, yet again. I'm sure you will come back with some witty insult laiden riposte that has fuck all to do with footy, the reason is because you know nothing about the game.

I'm sure you could go on, you missed out Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Iniesta for example who are also not holding midfielders.

Milner was my favourite, closely followed by Joao Moutinho, fucking hell you may as well have said Deco!

Showing just how little you know about the game, yet again. I'm sure you will come back with some witty insult laiden riposte that has fuck all to do with footy, the reason is because you know nothing about the game.

I'm sure you could go on, you missed out Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Iniesta for example who are also not holding midfielders.

Milner was my favourite, closely followed by Joao Moutinho, fucking hell you may as well have said Deco!

I started at the top of the list:

Tiote "not a holding midfielder".

Yes he is, Mongislander. Now fuck off.

I really did not, I just stated that he had 1 goal in 99 PL games.

Are you sure about that?

1 PL goal in 99 games, 77 starts thats just abysmal really and there is no way around it.

That certainly looks like using it as criticism to me.

I'm done with this now. You clearly can't even admit what you typed, I have come across numerous people like you who will not under any circumstances admit what they have stated or ever admit they are wrong and quite frankly it's not worth the effort.

I started at the top of the list:

Tiote "not a holding midfielder".

Yes he is, Mongislander. Now fuck off.

Even if he is, which he isn't as he doesn't sit in front of the back 4 and does the majority of his work in central midfield, why didn't you comment on the rest of the post?

Perhaps cos you know you are full of shit?

Why is Milner in that list you daft twat?

Even if he is, which he isn't as he doesn't sit in front of the back 4 and does the majority of his work in central midfield, why didn't you comment on the rest of the post?

Perhaps cos you know you are full of shit?

Why is Milner in that list you daft twat?

Because he's a midfield player who could quite easily play in a holding role. Like all of that list. He played centrally for Villa brilliantly last season.

As for Tiote, if that fucker isn't a defensive midfielder, what the fuck is he you gibbering spaz?

99 PL games and 1 goal.

Are you sure about that?

I'm done with this now. You clearly can't even admit what you typed, I have come across numerous people like you who will not under any circumstances admit what they have stated or ever admit they are wrong and quite frankly it's not worth the effort.

Yes I`m 100% sure.

Anything else I can help you with while I`m at it?

Because he's a midfield player who could quite easily play in a holding role. Like all of that list. He played centrally for Villa brilliantly last season.

As for Tiote, if that fucker isn't a defensive midfielder, what the fuck is he you gibbering spaz?

You don't even see it do you. Do you not know the difference between someone playing a HOLDING defensive role and being a defensive central midfielder?

You're priceless.

Tiote is like Essien or Vieira, they bound all over the pitch covering every blade of grass making interceptions and giving the ball off while trying to drive the play, a box to box style.

Lucas is nothing like that and even if you wanted to criticise him you've clearly shown yourself incapable to do so. You see "defensive" and think that encompasses the whole of the role and complete overlook the fact that there are many ways to play as a primarily defensive midfielder.

Milner played out of position for a bit and did alright and suddenly he'd be a better holding defensive midfielder than Lucas?

And you call me a jibbering spaz.

Fuckin hell lad.

Moutinho in a holding defensive role? You're fucking priceless you. I'd love to play that side!

Yes I`m 100% sure.

The final 15 minutes was about good individual performances – most obviously at the back, but also in midfield. Lucas was superb, using the ball well, and dominating the zone in front of the back four without the ball by nipping in ahead of Chelsea players to make interceptions.

Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool: Meireles grabs winner | Zonal Marking

Argument

A look at Lucas' Opta statistics during his 90-minute, plus injury-time, outing against Chelsea demonstrates his improvement. His overall pass completion rate was an incredible 88.89 per cent, 81.82% when in the opponents' half of the field. These figures are very similar to his contribution for the 2010/11 campaign to date, with an overall pass completion of 84.02% and 81.08% when in the opponents' section of the field. One goal has been assisted and 14 chances created from a total of 1133 passes.

The obvious argument would be to suggest that the majority of passes have been simple 10-yard side-foots when under no pressure. But there is a skill to decision-making when doing the unsung task. Ask Sergio Busquets. A destructive force has also been added to Lucas' game. Ninety-nine tackles have been made throughout the season at a success rate of 66.67%. Four yellow cards have been collected. The second booking earned in the defeat to Stoke in November was an act of petulance, but also a reflection of new-found aggression. Seven tackles were made against Chelsea. This may not sound a lot, but that is one player recording exactly one third of Liverpool's entire tackle count at Stamford Bridge.

Lucas does not possess the natural pace, power and overall athleticism to dictate midfields, but he is beginning to patrol in front of the defence, whether it be three or two centre-backs, with brilliant effect.

He deserves immense praise amid the clamour for Dalglish to be given a permanent contract and the dissections of Torres' terrible 65-minute Chelsea debut. Lucas embodies what Dalglish seems to be trying to impose upon his team - a personal freedom within a team responsibility.

The changing man | Sky Sports | Blogs | The Insider

Code, you are simply embarrassing yourself.

Yes I`m 100% sure.

No that pretty much confirms what I suspected. That you are one of those people who will just deny what you have said (or posted in this case) because you don't have the mental capability to be able to admit your wrong.

For a midfielder in his position to only have scored 1 PL goal in 99 games, 77 starts thats just abysmal really and there is no way around it.

It must have been someone else who posted the above then.

Anyway I have done something I said I wouldn't and responded to you. However this time I am most certainly done, I'm not discussing something with someone who clearly cannot even admit what they have typed.

99 PL games and 1 goal.

9,314 posts yet not one of any substance.

Stats tell a lot of stories.

Lucas tackling is shite, he gives away loads of free kicks in dangerous areas and he is not really a defensive midfielder.

For a midfielder in his position to only have scored 1 PL goal in 99 games, 77 starts thats just abysmal really and there is no way around it.

You started criticising Lucas because he has only scored 1 in 99 in the League. Therefore surely you are stating that it is important in judging a midfielder.

For someone so into stats logic isn't really your strong point.

I really did not, I just stated that he had 1 goal in 99 PL games.

If people feel that is criticism its probably because the numbers are not really good dont you think?

If he had scored 50 goals and I wrote 99 games, 50 goals, would you take that as criticism as well?

Its the same thing is it not?

Are you really sure on this?

I'm going to assume Code has me on ignore, otherwise I'd like to know what he's got to say about my last post, which quotes exactly what he said in both posts.

Rather than the little snippet he decided to replicate.

I dont have anyone on ignore even if I ignore a lot of posters.

The post I posted was my first post on the subject, the second post you quoted was a follow up post after some snide digs from some whopper.

The post I posted was my first post on the subject, the second post you quoted was a follow up post after some snide digs from some whopper.

So, you simply stated stats on Lucas. NWT trust took the piss outta you so you decided to rip on Lucas?

Boss that.

Ah, the huge difference between a "holding midfielder" and a "defensive midfielder".

And never can the two interchange. Or a good player adapt to a different role.

A bit like Didi Hamann, who played in a more attacking role for Newcastle for one season, before joining us and being quite superb in a more defensive/ holding role.

Or Ronnie Whelan.

Please, do carry on, I enjoy making you look a twat. Sorry, MORE of a twat.

Ah, the huge difference between a "holding midfielder" and a "defensive midfielder".

And never can the two interchange. Or a good player adapt to a different role.

A bit like Didi Hamann, who played in a more attacking role for Newcastle for one season, before joining us and being quite superb in a more defensive/ holding role.

Or Ronnie Whelan.

Please, do carry on, I enjoy making you look a twat. Sorry, MORE of a twat.

Erm no, get it right. A defensive midfielder doesn't tell you where they will be spending the majority of their time on the field in a settled system it tells you what their priority will be.

Did I say that players couldn't become holding midifielders? No I just said you're a bellend for looking all round Europe and picking players that don't have the positional sense to play the position now and saying they would be better than Lucas at it, especially as we continue to play with THREE central midfielders.

I look like a twat but you want Milner or Moutinho (a player with the positional discipline and understanding of a dead zebra) to hold a midfield of Gerrard and Meireles?

I see, yes, I'm the twat.