You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Safe Standing at Anfield

StevieH

Safe Standing at Anfield?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Safe Standing at Anfield?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact remains that if Hillsborough was all seating then the disaster wouldn't have happened so that's a no from me.

I understand that the options mentioned are a lot safer than what we had in the 80s but even so i couldn't countenance it

The chances of it happening had seats been in place might well have reduced the risk but there is no guarantee it wouldn't have happened. Many of the people injured and some that died, got caught in the tunnel that linked the rear of Leppings Lane with the terraces. It was the funneling into this bottle neck that was one of the reasons that lead to the disaster.

The catalyst was to many people trying to enter a section of the stadium that just couldn't cope with the numbers. I've been to an all seated Wembley and Cardiff and have been in situations while trying to enter that were all to familiar of what happened that day at Hillsborough.

Did they make any changes to how we enter stadiums ? Did they fuck.

As someone above stated I think the families of those most deeply effected by what happened at hillsborough should have the ultimate say if it was top be considered. They've been through enough and in my opinion even if one person effected is against it, it should be a "non starter." Ultimately, the all seating stadia was created due to the disaster, which in itself serves as a memorial to those who died.

It wasn't the cages that caused Hillsborough; it was criminal negligence from the police.

I'm totally in favour of this as it means we can massively expand our capacity for a relatively small outlay whilst staying at Anfield and recapturing the culture of the terraces. Furthermore, it means going to the match becomes a much more accessible and affordable activity for all, but especially kids who are as good as shut out right now. Anfield would be much more of a cash cow than it is now and would also become a much more intimidating place for opponents than it has been for the last twenty (mostly) muted years.

I mean no disrespect to anyone affected by the tragedy in saying this but in my opinion bringing safe standing into the Hillsborough debate detracts from the fight for justice.

Hillsborough was caused by a failure in crowd safety measures by the South Yorkshire police, not by standing terraces.

I don't see why not. It's not like it would be possible to have overcrowding and everyone is assigned their own space. Much safer too than actually standing up in seated areas.

It is badly dodgy and 10 times more dangerous jumping for a goal in seated areas, I've lost count how many times I've near broke my legs falling

It wasn't the cages that caused Hillsborough; it was criminal negligence from the police.

I'm totally in favour of this as it means we can massively expand our capacity for a relatively small outlay whilst staying at Anfield and recapturing the culture of the terraces. Furthermore, it means going to the match becomes a much more accessible and affordable activity for all, but especially kids who are as good as shut out right now. Anfield would be much more of a cash cow than it is now and would also become a much more intimidating place for opponents than it has been for the last twenty (mostly) muted years.

Have to disagree a little there, Paul. It was both the cages, the police, the tunnel, the terraces and other factors that led to the tragedy.

I was a student in Sheffield at the time and knew Hillsborough well which probably saved my life.

I know terracing gives you a better atmosphere and loads of other good things but not for me

Kenny knows

Couldn't find any pictures but there is safe standing at the Bernabeu. They have standing bars on each seat which is a pretty ingenious idea in my view.

The atmosphere in Anfield will still be shit anyway.

I'm not so sure they have safe standing areas. I think it's more to do with the fact the stands have steeply raked tiers.

The Innsbruck model you've described sounds like exactly the same thing Werder Bremen have installed in their new stands. The idea is certainly clever, but the seats look very very poor.

safe%20standing.jpg

That's exactly what Werder Bremen have. But in green of course.