You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve McManaman

WrongIslander

Gerrard doesn't get in your top five players? Fucking hell.

If I was doing a top 5 best liverpool players he'd definitely be in it however I said top 5 fave players which is a different thing. As good a players as they are/were I did not take to many of the players that came to proimence during the Houillier reign. The Owens, Carra, Gerrards, Murphys etc. I just didn't have the same depth of feeling for them. Maybe because I was older by the time those guys came along I was bit too old for the fanatical hero worship that kids do.

I wanted to be John Barnes and I wanted Fowler to be my mate, usual kid stuff.

Hope you get what I mean.

Guest PurpleNose
If I was doing a top 5 best liverpool players he'd definitely be in it however I said top 5 fave players which is a different thing. As good a players as they are/were I did not take to many of the players that came to proimence during the Houillier reign. The Owens, Carra, Gerrards, Murphys etc. I just didn't have the same depth of feeling for them. Maybe because I was older by the time those guys came along I was bit too old for the fanatical hero worship that kids do.

I wanted to be John Barnes and I wanted Fowler to be my mate, usual kid stuff.

Hope you get what I mean.

Not sure how old you are but I'm only 24 and have similar views. Obviously not old enough to have seen the likes of Barnes in his pomp, but some of my favourite players aren't ones that would be widely recognised as our best over the period I've watched the club.

Not sure how old you are but I'm only 24 and have similar views. Obviously not old enough to have seen the likes of Barnes in his pomp, but some of my favourite players aren't ones that would be widely recognised as our best over the period I've watched the club.

33 mate. Yeah it's just that when you're a kid you have a rose tinted view of football and footballers.

Brilliant, brilliant player. Totally underrated. I'd love a Macca in our team now. Imagine how much he'd be worth in todays market too. If Milner is worth 24m, Mc Manaman would be worth 40m.

Along with that Arsenal goal, I remember him scoring a belter away to Newcastle too. Rocket of a volley, off both posts and in, if I recall correctly.

When him and Rob Jones linked up, they were great to watch going forward down the wing. 1 2s, Macca dribbling passed the full back. They could open up most defences. Then Macca would set up Collymore, Fowler or Owen.

As previously stated, his book about his time at Real, El Macca is a very good read.

Guest the boy

'Steve McManaman was fucked over by Liverpool Football Club'

'Steve McManaman made me like Real Madrid for the duration he was there'

My god.

My enduring memory of McManaman was his performance against Leicester in 99. As for whoever's compared him to Gerrard; Gerrard is the absolute antithesis to McManaman. McManaman is no better than Owen in my book.

Guest PurpleNose
'Steve McManaman was fucked over by Liverpool Football Club'

'Steve McManaman made me like Real Madrid for the duration he was there'

My god.

My enduring memory of McManaman was his performance against Leicester in 99. As for whoever's compared him to Gerrard; Gerrard is the absolute antithesis to McManaman. McManaman is no better than Owen in my book.

Your book is shit.

ok enough of the wankathon.

Mcmanaman was not fucked over by the club, He ran his contract down and Liverpool received nothing for a player they had developed since he was a child.

On the pitch he could be occasionaly brilliant, but generally lacked a finish of any substance and seemed to lope around with Ince and Fowler and Ruddock, making jokey remarks about what the night out in London was going to be like while we drew with Wimbledon.

sorry I dont get steve mcmanaman apart from celtic and arsenal, he only done it against the little clubs in the cups.

when he was getting interviewed he used to always mention Everton.

and before he left the last few months he kept on saying Liverpool is the only club for me so why didnt he just sign the contract.

Rember when one of the first stay behinds against Hicks and Gillette occured he was on setanna saying he dosent know what we were moaning about.

To put him in the same class as gerrard is unbelivable.

Class player, could run all day and had a great football brain. If he had a decent shot in him he would have been a complete player (and scored a lot more goals). Let himself down a bit with some of his comments about the protests but as a player he was great to watch. When he played it was generally considered that if you stopped him playing you stopped Liverpool.

Guest the boy
McManaman was fucked over by the club. They tried to flog him to Barcelona against his wishes and then Barcelona double fucked him, by signing Rivaldo instead.

McManaman was as cynical a player as the club has ever had. He wasn't fucked over by anybody. He had been making irregular noises about moving abroad prior to the Barca saga. His legacy at this club will forever be a bosman departure that was even more apparent before hand than Owen's departure, and as being prominent amongst the Spice Boy malaise. The dreary internet babies that agonise over Torres' body language would have had a field day.

I'm by no measure a huge Carragher fan, and McManaman had more talent in his right foot than Carragher in his whole body, but in a decade or twos time he'll be prominent in the annals while McManaman has slunk to obscurity. A good player who isn't near the top 40 to have performed for this club; to compare him to Gerrard, Dalglish, Barnes et al in any form is a travesty.

to compare him to Gerrard, Dalglish, Barnes et al in any form is a travesty.

He wasn't in their class but a drop a level down and he would easily make that standard.

Easy to focus on what he didn't do but we've never had a player since who could turn defence into attack so effectively and consistently.

sorry I dont get steve mcmanaman apart from celtic and arsenal, he only done it against the little clubs in the cups.

That's just straight up not true.

when he was getting interviewed he used to always mention Everton.

Because he was an Everton supporter.

before he left the last few months he kept on saying Liverpool is the only club for me so why didnt he just sign the contract.

Because he knew that the club wanted shot of him, hence them trying to flog him to Barcelona.

The only big team he didn't do it against regularly was the Mancs. But that was because, and I think I heard Ferguson actually say that if you stopped McManaman you stop Liverpool. So he always used to make special provision for Macca.

No one said he was as good as Gerrard but are making the comparison of how he carried the team in a similar fashion which he did. I think that is indesputable whether you hate him or love him.

I think that whereas Fowler and Carra changed their allegiances from the bitters to us I think it galls some of our fans that Macca didn't.

Some of the comments in here about McManaman would make a bitter fucking cringe. with embaressment. people saying he wasn't all that need a fucking head check. During the 90's McManaman carried a team that had a far worse fucking squad than this one. He won Two wembley cup finals pretty much all on his own. but he used to mention Everton so he's a cunt.

Oh and he was fucked over, the club wanted to sell, he didn't want to go so the club offered a contract on less than he was being paid at the time. if that wasn't a message of we don't want you I don't know what is.

Some of the comments in here about McManaman would make a bitter fucking cringe. with embaressment. people saying he wasn't all that need a fucking head check. During the 90's McManaman carried a team that had a far worse fucking squad than this one. He won Two wembley cup finals pretty much all on his own. but he used to mention Everton so he's a cunt.

Oh and he was fucked over, the club wanted to sell, he didn't want to go so the club offered a contract on less than he was being paid at the time. if that wasn't a message of we don't want you I don't know what is.

No way did he carry the team. In terms of attacking talent the 90's teams were superior. They lacked decent defenders and a midfield hard man. I would compare them to Arsenal in a way. Fowler, Collymore, Berger and Redknapp were all class players.

He was a tier below players like Giggs and well below Barnes.

The difference is that his final ball was weak and he was not a finisher. Like a better and quicker Hleb.

No way did he carry the team. In terms of attacking talent the 90's teams were superior. They lacked decent defenders and a midfield hard man. I would compare them to Arsenal in a way. Fowler, Collymore, Berger and Redknapp were all class players.

He was a tier below players like Giggs and well below Barnes.

The difference is that his final ball was weak and he was not a finisher. Like a better and quicker Hleb.

"Stop McManaman, Stop Liverpool" was the mantra of many an opossing manager in the 90's

2nd tier player? name one Liverpool player in the last 20 years to leave and have greater success, than they had whilst at the club?