You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Defour

Malarkey

He had a good game on Sunday. Freed of some defensive responsibility, he could kick on.

Yeah, I do remember at the time we signed him, when we still had "the best midfield in the world" (god I miss those days), he was billed as the long-term Gerrard replacement. Think he suffered from being shoe-horned into the Alonso role last year after he fucked off to Fake Madrid, when he's a totally different player. He infuriates at times but I certainly wouldn't give up on him yet.

Yeah, I do remember at the time we signed him, when we still had "the best midfield in the world" (god I miss those days), he was billed as the long-term Gerrard replacement. Think he suffered from being shoe-horned into the Alonso role last year after he fucked off to Fake Madrid, when he's a totally different player. He infuriates at times but I certainly wouldn't give up on him yet.

Lucas as long-term Gerrard replacement.

That's the most depressing fucking thing I have ever read on this site.

• Downvote 1

Lucas. Dossena. Poulsen. Josemi. Morientes. Insua. Pellegrini.

Pellegrini, the Chilean former Real Madrid manager? Well he is in his 50's, I think he deserves a little bit of leeway.

That was nothing to do with their stature, that was to do with their pace and/or reading of the game. And Lucas, despite your repeated protestations has been able to handle the Premier League.

Guest PurpleNose

Not being able to handle the Premier League physically has to be one of the most boring myths in football.

Messi is 2ft 6 and about 3 stone. He'd score about 400 goals a season here.

Not being able to handle the Premier League physically has to be one of the most boring myths in football.

Messi is 2ft 6 and about 3 stone. He'd score about 400 goals a season here.

Um, no, youre wrong, actually Messi is 2 ft 8.

Think some players do struggle with the physicality. You see it mentioned in a lot of interviews with foreign players coming into the league for the first time. They often mention how tough the English league is.

Buts it not like their all stickmen, most of them adapt quite well eventually. Theres always the odd exception that fails though.

Think some players do struggle with the physicality. You see it mentioned in a lot of interviews with foreign players coming into the league for the first time. They often mention how tough the English league is.

Buts it not like their all stickmen, most of them adapt quite well eventually. Theres always the odd exception that fails though.

Like who though? If you look back at some of the players in the Premier League over the years, there are lanky streaks of piss like McManaman, Crouch or Kanu, and little dwarfs like Shaun Wright-Phillips, Mascherano, Juninho, Aaron Lennon, or Defoe for example, who while not necessarily being everyone's cup of tea have at least carved out good careers for themselves.

Success in the Premier League is nothing to do with physical stature, it's to do with intelligence, attitude, and ability. Even fat players like Yakubu and David Dunn are able to make a go of it.

Like who though? If you look back at some of the players in the Premier League over the years, there are lanky streaks of piss like McManaman, Crouch or Kanu, and little dwarfs like Shaun Wright-Phillips, Mascherano, Juninho, Aaron Lennon, or Defoe for example, who while not necessarily being everyone's cup of tea have at least carved out good careers for themselves.

Success in the Premier League is nothing to do with physical stature, it's to do with intelligence, attitude, and ability. Even fat players like Yakubu and David Dunn are able to make a go of it.

Totally agree with you. I was just saying I have read interviews where players have talked about struggling with the physicality and finding it hard at first, but the vast majority all get over it.

I'd say the number of players who have failed because of the physicality is pretty minute, most fail because they dont adapt to the style of football or they just have a bad additude.

But off the top of my head players like Aquilani, Robinho, Morientes struggled with the physicality, but then I think Aquilani given more time would have adapted. You could argue also that Robinho is just a lazy cunt and Morientes was more about not fitting into the system.

Totally agree with you. I was just saying I have read interviews where players have talked about struggling with the physicality and finding it hard at first, but the vast majority all get over it.

I'd say the number of players who have failed because of the physicality is pretty minute, most fail because they dont adapt to the style of football or they just have a bad additude.

But off the top of my head players like Aquilani, Robinho, Morientes struggled with the physicality, but then I think Aquilani given more time would have adapted. You could argue also that Robinho is just a lazy cunt and Morientes was more about not fitting into the system.

Aquilani just carried on in the same vein as he did in Italy, by being injured every five minutes. He can't handle the physicality of being a footballer, regardless of the league.

Name one player who hasn't been able to handle the Premier League physically.

Morientes without a doubt. I'd add insua, without a doubt too. And Bruno Cheyrou, without question.

From other clubs, Thomas Brolin, Albert Luque and Steve Marlet are three notable examples. And who could forget Shevchenko's efforts (or lack thereof).

So I don't think it's entirely a myth: not given the length of a premiership season and the Christmas slog that recalls the worst days of the Flanders mud. The real change over the last decade or so has been squad rotation and squad size rather than the league becoming less' physical'.

Then again i thought David Silva would be a prime candidate for this category, but he's surprising me thus far.

Guest PurpleNose

Reyes fucked off because he wanted his mums cooking and for it to be sunny every day.

Great player, still gets booted every single week because he's very skillful and a bit of a knob.

Morientes without a doubt. I'd add insua, without a doubt too. And Bruno Cheyrou, without question.

From other clubs, Thomas Brolin, Albert Luque and Steve Marlet are three notable examples. And who could forget Shevchenko's efforts (or lack thereof).

So I don't think it's entirely a myth: not given the length of a premiership season and the Christmas slog that recalls the worst days of the Flanders mud. The real change over the last decade or so has been squad rotation and squad size rather than the league becoming less' physical'.

Then again i thought David Silva would be a prime candidate for this category, but he's surprising me thus far.

Size has nothing to do with it though which was the point in the first place. Zola, Arshavin, Makelele, Scholes ... all farts that very much could "cut it, the list goes on.

Size has nothing to do with it though which was the point in the first place. Zola, Arshavin, Makelele, Scholes ... all farts that very much could "cut it, the list goes on.

Your right, that was the original point. But somone mentioned that the premierships physicality affecting players is a myth or something along those lines. I might have the quote wrong there.

And its true most manage perfectly fine. I was only trying to point out myself that players have struggled with it before. The vast majority adapt very well though. I think it can't be totally dismissed. But as someone rightly pointed out, attitude, intelligence etc... are the real keys to a players success.