You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

It'll start after the first 5 games, mark my words......

If we loose to Arsenal and City, beat WBA, draw or loose to Birmingham and loose to Man Utd - the crisis will be complete.....

Alot of people are overlooking our start.

We really do have the potential to go into complete and utter freefall after 5 games.

Benitez took this squad to 7th last season.

This squad will get worse as we lose players.

Woy is an inferior manager to Benitez.

Woy took Fulham to 12th, one place behind Tony Pulis's Stoke team.

I can see why some people are a touch worried.

And I can't see him being in any way vocal about his new employers.

I'm sorry but I just don't see their combined worth at anywhere near that.

David Villa - current star of the World Cup has just been bought for 25 mil.

Based on current form for Torres and heavy recent injuries, and the fact that every club KNOWS LFC are desperate for cash, it'll be a knocked down price imo. Also, I think these are difficult times for football - the money aint around.

Gerrard? I'm really not sure of his worth, but I wouldn't be holding my breath over the figures being bandied about with this.

I'm not arguing about figures - the principle remains.

Horseshit.

Woy didn't take the job because he fancied a go at "solving loads of problems". He took the job because he was offered a chance to manage one of the most famous clubs in the world. He'd have much preferred to be taking it on with a better squad and a load of money to spend.

What shall we call that then - Oh I know, Ego.

A bit harsh, Whelan. I have major reservations, as do most fans. I just hope, for the sake of the club, that those reservations are thrown back at me and made to look completely unjustified.

I didn't mean it to sound harsh, Numero you are a sound lad, as with your bit in bold, my point was that you shouldn't be thinking that! Any success would not make your worries unjustified, if you are solely concentrating upon his record that is a different matter, but you are not you are questioning the reasoning behind the appointment.

It might work out, any team that has Gerrard and Torres has a chance, but that is not what they are taking into consideration, the good of the club is not their priority.

I aint old enough, but how over/underwhelmed were people when Joe Fagan was appointed?

People were slightly concerned, but overall we were confident that the success would continue. Then again it was before the internet allowed the brainless and hysterical a voice.

Lads, he's here now, there is nothing we can do about it. Yes, he is the man the owners wanted for the wrong reasons, but while not a top level manager, he is still a decent manager so lets not give the owners what they want, which is a divided fan base more worried about arguing with each other then putting pressure on the owners, and show a united voice in support of the playing and coaching staff of the club and against the ownership.

Guest Pistonbroke
I aint old enough, but how over/underwhelmed were people when Joe Fagan was appointed?

He'd been part of the bootroom under Shanks from the beginning and was promoted to assistant manager when Paisley took over. It was a case of some fans wondering if he would be good enough but he'd served his time and had learnt under Shanks and Paisley. Very short spell as manager as he decided to retire but he did win old big ears.

Lads, he's here now, there is nothing we can do about it. Yes, he is the man the owners wanted for the wrong reasons, but while not a top level manager, he is still a decent manager so lets not give the owners what they want, which is a divided fan base more worried about arguing with each other then putting pressure on the owners, and show a united voice in support of the playing and coaching staff of the club and against the ownership.

I agree.

even though i said before i thought it would be a bad idea i warming to it i really think he can do the job.i mean lets face it fulham are not brimming with talent and look what he did with them last year

try and look on the brightside of life lads :smile:

Roy's making a big move leaving a safe job at Fulham with a supportive owner and board and where he is revered by the fans and moving to a hornets nest engulfed by debt problem and ownership uncertainty, a disingenuous snake of an MD and fans bitterly divided by his appointment (and there own take on the motives as to why he was appointed). The very least he deserves IMHO is an 'open mind' from fans. So he's getting one from me. I just hope he has recognised Cecil for what he is in coming to his decision.

He would do the job. Do the job as in not get us relegated

Other than that, anything higher than 7th is a bonus as seeing that Spurs, City and Villa would outspend us.

He's brought in to "steady the ship", meaning lower expectations. Pretty football maybe. Win anything, no.

Hope he proves me wrong

GC

As an attempt to connect the extremes within our support that's quite a Herculean effort!

But extremes there were and extremes there are. Still. You might be better advised taking that sabbatical.

Strictly as an observer I'll be absolutely fascinated by what happens next. As a Red whose life it is affecting, I'm beginning to think a decision to shunt football into the sidelines of my life isn't far away.

I'm at the age where my dad started to prefer cricket. That's out, as it bores me to tears. Whenever I whinged about some defeat or other he'd just mutter "8 years in the second division" and I'd clam up. When the 60's and 70's glory arrived, he was made up obviously but he felt like he'd earned it. Our generation has never had to 'suffer' that way.

But what he never had to put up with was £40 a ticket, a relentlessly screeching media and pampered players on simply mind-boggling wages, you at least felt like you belonged. In the last decade our managers have been treated like Gods by some, largely as a result of the contempt for the modern footballer and symbolised by the reaction to England's latest debacle. For some, enough is enough.

We've been spoilt. This club only won 5 major trophies in its first 72 years, then won about 25 in two decades! If it's changing back to what's normal, so be it, but being fleeced and treated like dirt should not ever be part of the deal.

Liverpool FC, you've been a major part of my life since I was a boy but you're fast becoming a germ on a microscope slide. Something whose ugliness and disease is grimly fascinating but ultimately destructive.

Roy Hodgson may be good but he can't do anything about that.

This is from the Mail - some interesting stuff on his methods.

Roy Hodgson will be unveiled as the new Liverpool manager this afternoon. With Fabio Capello fighting to keep the England job after a disastrous World Cup, Hodgson had also been touted as a leading contender to replace the Italian. How has the 62-year-old from Croydon become the hottest asset in English football?

Fulham had just reached the Europa League semi-final courtesy of a 1-0 win in Wolfsburg - at that point arguably the biggest game in their 131-year history - and Roy Hodgson was asked how he felt to be flying the flag for English football. 'It'll help our UEFA co-efficient,' he replied, without a hint of irony.

It was pure Hodgson: straightlaced to the point of suffocation but making an intelligent, considered point. He does not deal in vacuous, off-the-cuff soundbites and devours Jewish-American fiction (Philip Roth, Isaac Bashevis Singer and Saul Bellow) in his spare time.

Hodgson is a manager who spends his days honing, organising and coaching on the training pitch. He was - briefly, from 1972-73 at Alleyn's School in south-west London - a PE teacher, after all.

'Of course it's nice for people to believe some managers are born with a magical quality that will transform bad into good, but I don't,' he says. 'It's about leadership skills, practice, repetition and bloody hard work.'

Repetition is the cornerstone of Hodgson's success. There were grumblings from within Fabio Capello's World Cup squad that the Italian didn't spend enough time on 'pattern of play' drills, but Hodgson's Fulham did this every day. Fellow coaches and managers, such as Steve Coppell and Glenn Roeder, often attended sessions to watch the 62-year-old in action.

'Every day in training is geared towards team shape on the match day coming up,' said midfielder Simon Davies. 'Every day is team shape and it shows.

'He gets the 11 that he wants on a match day and he drills everything in that he wants. There are no diagrams. It's all on the pitch with the ball, nothing unopposed.'

Hodgson has described his approach as 'player-orientated'. Words 'spill out left, right and centre' from a man who speaks five languages. His players know exactly what he expects and how they can be successful in their ascribed roles. They also know who's playing more than two hours before kick-off.

After failing to make the grade at Crystal Palace and playing non- League football, Hodgson gained his full coaching badge aged just 23. He followed the likes of Don Howe, Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables - tracksuited English coaches who relished their 'time on the grass', as Robson called it.

With Hodgson it was 11 versus 11 every day, the manager stopping play to make a tactical or technical point, or to tell a player they weren't in the right position at the right time. Hodgson was at the heart of everything, in his shorts with his socks pulled up to his knees.

Zoltan Gera said: 'We do the same thing in every session and sometimes it gets boring but we know it's working so I'm happy to do it. Put it this way, when I wake up in the middle of the night I know what I need to do in the game, I know everything about how we play.'

Fulham players could have slotted back into position in their sleep last season but, for all Hodgson's emphasis on repetition, he is not a man resistant to change. Quite the opposite, in fact. It is part of the reason the League Managers' Association's manager of the year has rarely been out of work during a 33-year coaching career.

At Fulham he introduced a basketball defensive system, called a 'zonal trap', where his team moved as a unit when protecting their goal. When he joined Inter Milan in 1995 he asked Italian World Cup winner Giuseppe Bergomi, who had always marked man-to-man, to mark zonally. The team switched from a libero system to a back four and Hodgson asked Bergomi to play at right back.

After taking over at Hamstad in 1976, his first management role, Hodgson and his great friend Bob Houghton revolutionised Swedish football. They abandoned man-to-man marking all over the field in favour of a zonal approach. It is no wonder Hodgson tends to bristle at the suggestion he is an old-fashioned manager.

Now he will find himself rebuilding a Liverpool side bereft of confidence and star quality, against a backdrop of high expectations. Hodgson will need to draw heavily on those decades of experience.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Imy point was that you shouldn't be thinking that! Any success would not make your worries unjustified.

This is where we disagree. Everything other than his talent and ability to manage Liverpool Football Club is irrelevant. We're all really just guessing how it'll turn out. We're worrying based on historical facts. It's entirely possible, in my view, that these concerns can be made to be entirely unwarranted - that's what I'm hoping for - I just don't believe it'll happen.

if you are solely concentrating upon his record that is a different matter, but you are not you are questioning the reasoning behind the appointment

Well, there are questions to ask behind the appointment of any manager. I mean, we're getting into guessing territory again.

even though i said before i thought it would be a bad idea i warming to it i really think he can do the job.i mean lets face it fulham are not brimming with talent and look what he did with them last year

try and look on the brightside of life lads :smile:

Struggling with that one.

Probably without SteG and Nando, with a "safe pair" of hands sailing the ship, Kenny's name being chanted after our 5th defeat in 6 games at the start of the season, still being bled dry by the cunts of owners,aye, lots to look forward to.;)

A bit harsh, Whelan. I have major reservations, as do most fans. I just hope, for the sake of the club, that those reservations are thrown back at me and made to look completely unjustified.

For the sake of the club YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR RESERVATIONS proved correct. Anything else will entice the Leeches to hang around.

Struggling with that one.

Probably without SteG and Nando, with a "safe pair" of hands sailing the ship, Kenny's name being chanted after our 5th defeat in 6 games at the start of the season, still being bled dry by the cunts of owners,aye, lots to look forward to.;)

This bit i can really see happening. I can already hear the shoulda give it to kenny calls. Esp with our start to the season, birmingham away even looks like one of the easier ones.