You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

They weren't exactly on the slide at Valencia when he took over. They reached two CL Finals consecutively in 2000 and 2001 with Hector Cuper. He took over a good group of players who weren't that far away and made them better and gave them success beyond their wildest dreams and built on what Cuper had done there.

Speaking of Cuper where is he these days you never hear of him anymore?

The point is really that Benitez's management style is to throw the dice anew each year. New way of defending, players roles changing, tactics all mixed up. It's high risk. He can't help tinkering, every so often, he throws a duff score. He showed at Valencia though that he can turn it around. I'm sure if you were to look back at what was being said then the Valencia fans would have been as distraught as we are and as unable to see past the blinding emotions were feeling.

It's not a reflection on Cuper or the squad just an inevitable consequence of someone who buys into continual change.

They weren't exactly on the slide at Valencia when he took over. They reached two CL Finals consecutively in 2000 and 2001 with Hector Cuper. He took over a good group of players who weren't that far away and made them better and gave them success beyond their wildest dreams and built on what Cuper had done there.

Speaking of Cuper where is he these days you never hear of him anymore?

So by your logic,Cuper won the 2 La Liga's and Houllier won the Champions League.

Why can't you stop being like a bitter Bluenose and be gracious in what Benitez has achieved,there's no positives with you over Benitez only negatives.

Why would I give a fuck about Valencia? What signs did he show that he could do it in the latter stages of last season when we were absolutely desperate to get fourth and he had a mostly fit squad with the others dropping points all over the place?

He had an opportunity to do so and couldn't take it. I don't believe next season would be any different. He had clearly come to the end of his ideas for this squad and was not going to get the money to refresh it.

Being given 0 $ and having to unload players in the Jan window is not being given an opportunity to fix a squad that had had 30m sucked out of it previously. That's not an opportunity, that's a big boot holding your head under water.

Valencia didn't buy their way out of the situation either. He got rid of the agitators, rebalanced the squad and won the title.

Bear that in mind when the americans serve up their list of candidates and see if they have proven ability of taking a team from outside the CL places to competitive on bugger all money.

You can kid yourself he couldn't have turned it round, but give it time and you will see, IMO, that he had a better chance than anyone they serve up.

Being given 0 $ and having to unload players in the Jan window is not being given an opportunity to fix a squad that had had 30m sucked out of it previously. That's not an opportunity, that's a big boot holding your head under water.

This is nonsense. If you think spending money is the only way he could have turned things around then you are ignoring what 90% of his job is.

What happened to team building and tactical fluidity? A little bit of either could have improved results last season enough to scrape fourth. He was too stubborn to change his ideas though, and has never been a manager who can affect team spirit.

By the way, he only unloaded shit players he had bought who were not playing anyway, and was allowed to sign Maxi Rodriguez for the first team.

This is nonsense. If you think spending money is the only way he could have turned things around then you are ignoring what 90% of his job is.

What happened to team building and tactical fluidity? A little bit of either could have improved results last season enough to scrape fourth. He was too stubborn to change his ideas though, and has never been a manager who can affect team spirit.

David N'Gog is David N'Gog team building and tactical fluidity are not going to put 15 lbs on his frame and give him the decision making of someone 5 years more experienced.

By the way, he only unloaded shit players he had bought who were not playing anyway, and was allowed to sign Maxi Rodriguez for the first team.

What about the LB that was so obviously needed and the experienced striker that was so obviously needed. If you call having nothing to spend an opportunity, then you'll definitely be happy with the opportunities the owners are going to be extending for the next few years.

David N'Gog is David N'Gog team building and tactical fluidity are not going to put 15 lbs on his frame and give him the decision making of someone 5 years more experienced.

Come on, I thought you were more intelligent than this. He could have put two up top with Kuyt helping Ngog out. He could have used Gerrard alongside Mascherano instead of Lucas with Benayoun ahead of him to increase the passing ability in the side. He could have repaired his bridges with some of the players he had alienated and got them putting a bit more effort in. He could have given Aquilani a go against teams who were defending us out of the game. He could have asked them to press higher up the field, circulate the ball more, get into the box, give and go, help each other out. All manner of things he didn't do.

Either you're trying to troll me or you've taken a big stupid pill this morning.

What about the LB that was so obviously needed and the experienced striker that was so obviously needed.

What about the money to buy them with? He didn't have that option, therefore his job was to get the best out of what he had. If you truly believe he did that, then I see no point in discussing this with you.

If you call having nothing to spend an opportunity, then you'll definitely be happy with the opportunities the owners are going to be extending for the next few years.

Now you've completely lost me. What the fuck? Are you reading my posts whilst listening to the cosmos with your crystal radio and getting some kind of wierd interference?

So by your logic,Cuper won the 2 La Liga's and Houllier won the Champions League.

Why can't you stop being like a bitter Bluenose and be gracious in what Benitez has achieved,there's no positives with you over Benitez only negatives.

John it is people like you with black and white arguments who create the divisions on here mate. I said Benitez built on what Cuper had achieved already and gave them success beyond their wildest dreams ie he bettered Cupers achievements.....Where is the negative there? It was praise for Rafa more than anything. Rafa did a fantastic job at Valencia. Stop distorting things John you are better than that.

It would be like Rafa going to Inter, winning Serie A over a couple of seasons like Mourinho did and winning the CL once or twice bettering Mourinho's achievements like he bettered Cupers achievements. Should he go to Inter he will be expected to win the title minum year in year out. Maybe not the CL but he will class it as failure himself if he doesn't match or better Jose.

Edited by Juan Galonso

Guest ian garro

I dont want him here. I think his brand of football is from the dark ages, and his general demeanour is annoying.

That said, if he were to be appointed here, I'd have to get behind him, wouldnt I ? I support Liverpool you see, the club which bears my citys' name, not any individual. Whoever is in charge, I will always want them to win, which is not something a lot of people on here could say, after the last 18 months.

It wont be him though, I cant see why he'd give up his cushy little number at Villa there.

Guest TK-421

It wont be him though, I cant see why he'd give up his cushy little number at Villa there.

I agree, I reckon Hodgson is more likely at the moment. If it all goes tits up they'll just call it "Rafa's legacy".

Two cups in 6 years, thats truly amazing.

Am I right in saying the press didn't get on Benitez until the deal was pretty much done? Memory is a bit murky, but I don't necessarily expect the press to have a clue who our next manager will be.

I remember him being mentioned about a month before his appointment, but only as much as Mourinho. Curbishley and Bobby Robson were getting more of a mention though. That's if I remember correctly.